Favorite Stadium

Kyle Field is great. A&M fans are weird, but they are really fun, too.

I hate Vanderbilt's place so much. They have such a great location, and such a complete toilet of a venue.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm sure being an NFL stadium has a lot to do with it, but Nissan Stadium was the nicest from a quality standpoint. Neyland is obviously the best in regards to atmosphere and location. I found the Liberty Bowl to be much better than Vandy's stadium. Vanderbilt stadium felt like it belonged to an FCS team. Their baseball field was pretty great, though. Vaught Hemingway sucked simply because of the people that it was filled with. The stadium itself wasn't anything close to being special, either.

Been lucky enough--or maybe I'm just old--to have seen the Vols play away games in every SEC stadium except Kentucky and Vandy. Have just never cared enough to get tickets for those two; probably should go just to say I've been.

Obviously my favorite stadium is Neyland.

The expanded A&M stadium is REALLY nice. And their cult-like, passionate traditions make for a unique away game experience.

As much as I hate them, the Swamp is a great place to see a game. Been to every Vols away game there since 1993. Dated a Gator co-ed before I met my wife and went to some Florida games that were not against the Vols.

I have been to LSU several times including the Rick Clausen hurricane-delayed, amazing comeback game and the Dooley 18-men-on-the-field goal line stand almost win. Stadium itself is tired but the atmosphere cannot be beat.

Notre Dame. Autzen. Arkansas. Vaught-Hemingway. All were pretty meh stadiums physically but have great crowds and unique traditions that made them notable and worth my visit. Baylor's new stadium with an Art Briles coached team on the field beating Texas was off the charts game day experience.

Missouri and Baylor's old Floyd Casey stadium are the two worst.

Dream? Probably Camp Nou in Barcelona for an El Clásico match against Real Madrid.

It's being updated, started last year and goes for a couple more years. They closed the bowl, exchanging those metal bleachers in the north endzone for the same seating found throughout the stadium. As always, the grove is a must-see experience for football fans in general.

Reactions: 1 person
Legion Field in Birmingham UT vs Bamer in 1995 was small but nice, UT owned that stadium that night. 1997 in Bryant Denny was AWESOME with all the Fulmer & Tee Martin Bamer hate going on back then. I remember being flipped off by a 11 year old girl sitting with her parents behind us. They said we were cheering too loud for that traitor Tee. What a fun day. 86 Sugar Bowl in New Orleans is still the number one. Great time great atmosphere back then. Neyland UT vs Gators 1990 and the Hurricane Andrew game 1992 destroyed the Gators both games. That was the loudest games I think I ever witnessed at Neyland.

As far as creature comforts go, Kyle Field is the nicest (wide seats, leg room).

I'm looking forward to seeing games in Atlanta.

As much as I love the atmosphere in Neyland, the stadium itself doesn't hold a flame to most pro stadiums

Notre Dame was equal to Neyland in my book. I had about the same butterfly feeling going into Neyland in 2000 as I did Notre Dame Stadium in 2005. Neyland gets the tie breaker because I saw 16 straight victories from 2000-2008 which included the last time we beat Bama in 2006 and the 2004 Fla/TN Wilhoit Kick game.

Worst is Legion Field in Birmingham.... Hands Down

I didn't think Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium was that bad. It's obviously not the best what wouldn't say its the worst either.

Haven't seen it since the renovation?

Trust me, if you can make a stadium worse, they managed to do it. How can you bowl in a stadium and still not have a concourse that goes all the way around? And it literally looks like they just tossed four different stadiums together between the east, north, west and south sides.

Best- Neyland. A very close 2nd would be Notre Dame and Wisconsin's Camp Randall. Worst is Vandy but a close second would be War Memorial in Little Rock. The best overall football experience would hands down be Lambeau. There's a college game day feel to it. The Packer fans are crazy nice. Highly recommend any football fan make the trip.

Been lucky enough--or maybe I'm just old--to have seen the Vols play away games in every SEC stadium except Kentucky and Vandy. Have just never cared enough to get tickets for those two; probably should go just to say I've been.

Obviously my favorite stadium is Neyland.

The expanded A&M stadium is REALLY nice. And their cult-like, passionate traditions make for a unique away game experience.

As much as I hate them, the Swamp is a great place to see a game. Been to every Vols away game there since 1993. Dated a Gator co-ed before I met my wife and went to some Florida games that were not against the Vols.

I have been to LSU several times including the Rick Clausen hurricane-delayed, amazing comeback game and the Dooley 18-men-on-the-field goal line stand almost win. Stadium itself is tired but the atmosphere cannot be beat.

Notre Dame. Autzen. Arkansas. Vaught-Hemingway. All were pretty meh stadiums physically but have great crowds and unique traditions that made them notable and worth my visit. Baylor's new stadium with an Art Briles coached team on the field beating Texas was off the charts game day experience.

Missouri and Baylor's old Floyd Casey stadium are the two worst.

Dream? Probably Camp Nou in Barcelona for an El Clásico match against Real Madrid.

I agree on Kyle Field. The sheer size and architectural design was a site to see. The cult-culture was way too weird for me. My buddy is an aTm alum and College Station resident so we spent the weekend with him. The answer for their traditions is "from the inside you can't explain it and from the outside you can't understand it". That tells me enough. But the stadium, atmosphere and fans were great.

Vandy by far the worst. Troy had a better environment for a Thursday night game than Vandy does.

Dream stadium is more for the game than the stadium itself but the old (and newly renovated) Cotton Bowl for TX-OU.

Best is Neyland of course - goes without saying. Some parts of the stadium are in need of renovation but overall you can't beat the tailgating and game atmosphere.

Close seconds would be LSU and UGA if we're talking atmosphere...as much as I hate Georgia, Athens is a pretty awesome place with its bar scene.

I live in ATL, and while fug the Falcons, the new MB Stadium looks sweeeeet. I'm pretty biased, but BOA stadium in Charlotte is pretty nice too.

Worst by far is Vandy.

As much as I love the atmosphere in Neyland, the stadium itself doesn't hold a flame to most pro stadiums

Agreed. It's improving, but it still is what it is - a very spartan structure that's been added onto in sections. If you've been to very many stadiums, you figure out very quickly that Neyland lacks comfort and amenities by comparison.

Haven't seen it since the renovation?

Trust me, if you can make a stadium worse, they managed to do it. How can you bowl in a stadium and still not have a concourse that goes all the way around? And it literally looks like they just tossed four different stadiums together between the east, north, west and south sides.

Ole Miss is the same way. In 2014 it took us 45 mins to get to our seats. We almost got to our section and the concourse stopped and we had to walk around the wrong side of the stadium. 😡

Other than Neyland is the greatest.

Only two have stuck out to me.

Arkansas. The seats went straight into the corner with no turn. I was sitting on the sideline past the goal post, the seats faced across Behibd the endzone. No curve at all. Just straight benches. Just weird.

SC. We came in the wrong gate on the wrong side of the field. The corner we were in they didn't allow fans to walk to the other side at that end if the field. We had to walk the length of the field, make the corners, then walk down the other side. That's small time.

Mrs. Iam4utalways just handed me a Hazelnut triple dipped Magnum ice cream bar. It's yummy.

I currently live in Phoenix, so I keep wanting to go to Sun Devil Stadium just to see it. It sits right beside a very large hill and a man made lake (OK, it's a pond they call a lake)

Neyland is the best
Rest rank in decending order:
ALA
GA
UF
S Car

SC. We came in the wrong gate on the wrong side of the field. The corner we were in they didn't allow fans to walk to the other side at that end if the field. We had to walk the length of the field, make the corners, then walk down the other side. That's small time.

SC felt like a single A minor league stadium that is teetering on the edge of going under.

SC felt like a single A minor league stadium that is teetering on the edge of going under.

Playing them around Halloween makes for some interesting wardrobe discoveries. The coeds these days have really stepped up their game. I guess this year we may see what the girls of Ky think of Halloween.

I think SC is surprisingly loud. It was 2005, Spurrier's first year as SC's coach and first game against Florida as a coach, Urban Meyer's first year at Florida. SC beat UF and the place was bananas.

I went to two other games there and Florida demolished them. Tebow's 2007 game where he basically won the Heisman with 7 TD's and all sorts of ridiculous plays, and back in the 90's during Wuerffel's run where UF pounded them by 50+. Those nights were noticeably less rowdy.

They've improved the area around that stadium a lot in the past 5 years or so. It used to be awful.

I've always said Neyland Stadium is my favorite venue outside of The Swamp. No a bad seat in the house, and there are some million dollar views in the upper deck. My only gripe is the seats number on those bleachers should be about six inches further apart from each other. :)

I noticed the visitor seating section in the NE corner keeps shrinking, which means there's less chance of getting stuck between the north end zone and whatever building that is wedged up next to the north end zone. I had the misfortune of being packed in like a sardine following the 2000 and 2006 game.

Best: Neyland Stadium

Honorable Mention: Memorial Stadium at the U of Illinois. Great sightlines and history, if they only had a good team that played home games there.

Worst: Peabody High in Nashville, Vaught-Hemmingway in Oxford. Renovations in both places were just putting lipstick on a pig.

Dream: Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge (at night), Liverpool FC at Anfield

VN Store

Back