Felix Okpara commits to Vols!

Not what I've read. He's near elite as a rim protector but coming to TN for Barnes tutoring on the other parts of his D. Watched a couple of his games, no complaints from me.
His DBPM ranks only lower than JJJ, Santi and Mashack…and that’s on an Ohio State team with the 63rd ranked defense.

Good pickup and he and Estrella should solidify us at the post for the next 2 years. Raw, but better athlete than Aidoo so has upside and can run the floor quickly. Really just need him to be a rebounder, shot blocker, intimidator in the paint and complementary scorer with buckets at the rim. He and ZZ need to practice pick and roll for hours each day, because I see alot of lobs and dunks in his immediate future. Wouldn't be surprised if he and Estrella split minutes evenly.

Now need to get Milicic and our frontcourt (4&5) will be set.

He has some interesting stats:
* last year he shot 58.6% from the field, and 58.9% from the FT line
* he had 99 made field goals, 49 of which were dunks

He is a good rim protector and seems to do ok in transition, but don't count him scoring a lot on the low block with his back to the basket
That's good to hear....if Aidoo had dunked ball more instead of layups or finger rolls he wld have been way better post player .......

Rick had this to say about Okpara:

“We are thrilled to have Felix join us here on Rocky Top,” He comes from a great family and is an exceptional teammate whose primary goal is to win. Felix is an elite shot blocker, high-level defender and terrific rebounder. He possesses the ability to score in the low post, as well as play on the perimeter. A mobile athlete with excellent length who creates space offensively, Felix is a constant threat to get to the rim for a lob. We will do everything we can to help him further develop all aspects of his game.”

So, if he's good enough for the UT coaching staff, he's good enough for me.

The 1980’s wants those jackets back
Fashion has already re-cycled through the '50s, '60s and '70s of my life. Welcome, Gen X'ers, to the joy--then sudden melancholy--of being lapped by pop culture.

As a demographic cohort, you're now in the small intestine. Once society has squeezed out all the remaining water and nutrients from you, you'll retire briefly to the large intestine, headed for elimination.

At least, that's what a NegaVol life coach told me.

Last edited:
Excited to get him. Also a little sad since that means Tobe’s door has closed.

I think we have a decent chance to be better this coming year. Really excited with what CRB is doing.

People are busy doing player comparison and they don't even agree on the attributes on a single player. Of course you are not going to agree on a comparison. I liked Aidoo, but not to acknowledge he was sometimes tentative at the rim is ignorance or avoidance. Aidoo also had a good 3 point stroke if you watched him in warm ups. That didn't get used last few years. I am excited about Okpara. I will be curious what he could do in a pick and roll with ZZ.
Agree with your comments.

VN Store

Back