First Impressions of Coach Donnie Tyndall

Remins me of Donnie Baker! My kind of guy!!!

I saw Southern Miss play Minnesota in the NIT. They had my kind of team. Extremely physical!

You can't spell thug without UT baaaaaabbbyyy!

I thought the entire presser was a little unprofessional. Hart needs to quit making jokes. CDT is not going to be who we want from a public communication perspective right away. He will have to grow into that role. Believe it or not, CCM was really good at being professional in these type situations and his demeanor was one of the things i really liked about him. I hope CDT allows himself to be himself and doesn't try to be anything other than that. However, Hart really needs to quit making jokes. It's a sign of being uncomfortable and makes him look unprepared.

I agree on Hart. Hart is a pompous horse's behind. I don't like the guy at all. I don't like what he's done in merging the women's and men's AD. Those jokes at the end to Gus Manning were unprofessional. I know plenty of people who do that type of thing and have engaged in it myself. He was poking fun of an older man who has given his life and way more than Dave Hart ever will to the University of Tennessee.

I also don't buy the crap about the finances not being an issue. I have a little insight into the finances over there through a connection but not enough to really know. I really like this hire. I think Tyndall is a great fit, but you can't tell me that Tyndall is the guy if Tennessee can afford to and will pay over $2 million per. Tyndall may be a great coach, but there are plenty of others out there more proven that you hire first if you are paying top dollar. So that is a pure lie by Hart.

While I can't stand Hart, I will acknowledge that even though I disagree with his methods, he has righted the ship in the AD to an extent. He has an excellent understanding of what it takes to coach at UT and what the right fit is. He's executed that understanding twice now in hiring coaches - both with Butch and now Tyndall. So Hart deserves a lot of credit there. He's a good administrator and certainly a thousand times better than Hamilton in this role, but he's still a pompous horse's behind.

Reactions: 1 person
I have no issue at all with Hart combining the women's and men's athletic departments. If "We are One Tennessee" is to mean anything, it only makes sense.

I'm sure the Memphis and Vandy people loved the part where he said we're the number one program in the state.

I agree on Hart. Hart is a pompous horse's behind. I don't like the guy at all. I don't like what he's done in merging the women's and men's AD. Those jokes at the end to Gus Manning were unprofessional. I know plenty of people who do that type of thing and have engaged in it myself. He was poking fun of an older man who has given his life and way more than Dave Hart ever will to the University of Tennessee.

I also don't buy the crap about the finances not being an issue. I have a little insight into the finances over there through a connection but not enough to really know. I really like this hire. I think Tyndall is a great fit, but you can't tell me that Tyndall is the guy if Tennessee can afford to and will pay over $2 million per. Tyndall may be a great coach, but there are plenty of others out there more proven that you hire first if you are paying top dollar. So that is a pure lie by Hart.

While I can't stand Hart, I will acknowledge that even though I disagree with his methods, he has righted the ship in the AD to an extent. He has an excellent understanding of what it takes to coach at UT and what the right fit is. He's executed that understanding twice now in hiring coaches - both with Butch and now Tyndall. So Hart deserves a lot of credit there. He's a good administrator and certainly a thousand times better than Hamilton in this role, but he's still a pompous horse's behind.

Sounded like your started to warm up to Hart in your last paragraph. Reminded me of the Russians cheering for Rocky at the end of IV.

"If I can change... and you can change.... anybody can change"!!!

After seeing the picture, his official nickname should be Spanky.

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaageo_zps9bac8ef7.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
Does anybody know if Nicodemus will be with the program still? And in terms of the thread, I thought it was a good presser and I'm excited to see what his teams produce!

Last I heard, Martin was taking his entire staff.

Sounded like your started to warm up to Hart in your last paragraph. Reminded me of the Russians cheering for Rocky at the end of IV.

"If I can change... and you can change.... anybody can change"!!!

I don't like Hart the person. As an administrator, I think he's done a good job, at least in terms of hiring coaches and creating stability in the AD. His treatment of people, at least those not as important, is very questionable. IMO, he's not a very likable person.

At the end of the day, as long as he doesn't bankrupt the university and wins, I don't care how he acts. I don't have to interact him so it doesn't matter.

He seem's like a very energetic individual which takes extreme pride in his work and accomplishments. I hope he will bring back the enthusiasm BP brought to the program. His history indicates he knows how to coach. It will take a while to know how well he will be able to recruit at Tennessee. I think we all need to give him the support he needs and withhold any judgment's until he has an opportunity to complete several recruiting cycles. Then we will know if he will be able to compete in the SEC and at national level. If he can recruit as well a Butch we should be very competitive. Not a prove veteran but a high draft pick.

Last edited:
"Martin was terrible at this."

You mean like that time at Texas A&M when CCM drew up the perfect play for Jarnell and got him a 2 + 1 to win the game? You mean like that?

I was impressed with the press conference. I like the first thing Tyndall was thank the players and gave them a round of applause . He has talked to 3 or the 4 recruits which according to him was positive. He stated 21 of the 22 seniors he has coached graduated. He did not run from the question about the problems at Morehead State. He called Tennessee a destination job, when asked what was the first thing he ask Hart during the interview, his answer was "When do I start". The man wants to be at UT. He is young and hungry for success. I support this hire 100%.. GBO.

Reactions: 3 people
Last I heard, Martin was taking his entire staff.

My understanding is he took his entire staff with the exception of Kent Williams and he turned the chance to go. Did not want to move to California which makes him the smartest guy Cuonzo had on his staff. :birgits_giggle:

Reactions: 2 people
I can't wait to see our guys jump in a press after made baskets while momentum is on our side instead of calling a damn timeout.

Pretty much sums up this whole ordeal for me.

Later, rednecks.

Hell, yeah. That I will not miss about the previous regime. Actually, I don't think I'll miss much at all about the previous regime.

I don't like Hart the person. As an administrator, I think he's done a good job, at least in terms of hiring coaches and creating stability in the AD. His treatment of people, at least those not as important, is very questionable. IMO, he's not a very likable person.

At the end of the day, as long as he doesn't bankrupt the university and wins, I don't care how he acts. I don't have to interact him so it doesn't matter.

I respect your opinion. I have no personal or second hand accounts of Harts treatment of people. I just like the thought of an ex-athlete having a major say so in our hires. And also love that he isn't willing to go out an overpay an unproven just for the sake of filling the open position. It might hurt initial recruiting, but the financial damage of overpaying could be felt for years to come.

Would I love it if we had offered Marshall or Shaka the Moon, an arm and two legs? Absolutely. But that was never gonna happen. IMO

I respect your opinion. I have no personal or second hand accounts of Harts treatment of people. I just like the thought of an ex-athlete having a major say so in our hires. And also love that he isn't willing to go out an overpay an unproven just for the sake of filling the open position. It might hurt initial recruiting, but the financial damage of overpaying could be felt for years to come.

Would I love it if we had offered Marshall or Shaka the Moon, an arm and two legs? Absolutely. But that was never gonna happen. IMO

I love your music

My first impression him is is pretty good.Of course coaches talk a great game.But he reminded me alot of Coach Jones.Stressed the classroom and pride in playing for Tennessee. One thing I absolutely loved was the comment about he was glad Martin chose to go to Cal.We'll see what he can do.As always it will come down to recruiting. Not the big name hire I was hoping for, but fwiw, didn't know much about Pearl when he was hired.Was kinda funny when he said vowels and called Neyland stadium the Colliseum.

One thing though, and I'm nitpicking here, but I watched his introductory press conference from two years ago at Southern Miss and he gave mostly the exact same speech. That's to be expected though, I suppose.

He talked about Butch Jones when he was introduced at Southern Miss???

I know you can't put alot of stock in these things....but I liked him alot in the presser. Actually has a very good personality and not a bland guy. I hope he can unite the fanbase. We have to get behind him and hope he can turn this thing around. What I really like....reminds me of Butch....that he wants to be here. That's good for me.

VN Store

Back