Florida is the loss that hurts…

EBFVOL

Last year was a welcomed gift giving us a week at the #1 spot and finishing in the top 10 in the country. We lost some of our best talent on both sides of the ball to the NFL and we have seen more freak injuries this year than I can recall in quite some time. That being said the only loss I have issue with is the Florida game.

The other losses to 3 teams in the top ten in the country 2 of which are in the CFP conversation was to be expected this year. Florida is likely not going to even make a bowl and I would argue if we had won that game it’s likely Napier would be gone and their recruiting class destroyed.

Only the future will show whether or not we missed an opportunity to derail their program further, but by far, as of this moment, that game is the one that stings the most IMO.

Good take there. I think most of the posters on this board picked Tennessee to be 9-3 this year. The Florida game was the standout loss of the year. Although we expected three losses, it was the way we lost the games that’s disheartening. I didn’t feel the team showed any heart in the losses to Georgia and Missouri, and the second half to Alabama.

The Florida loss was a pathetic display of our continued mental weakness and loser mentality when it comes to playing against UF. The Gators are not a good team. Period. Even with Overthrow Joe at QB, that should have been a 10+ point win to help keep Florida on a downward spiral. Instead, we choke like pansies and give their new coach a ray of hope. No better move for a struggling rival (especially UF) than to schedule us so that we can help get them back on track by laying an egg. The A&M game this year was a welcome exception to the usual pattern.

The Missouri game was a total no-show, so that one sucks really bad as well. The 2nd half disappearing act against Alabama was also an embarrassment.

I think most expected a step back this season with some losses. It’s the way we’ve lost that has been troubling. I’m not hitting the panic button yet, but the undisciplined play (penalties), no shows, and mental collapses are reason for concern.

Last edited:
Not so fast. The whole body of work minus Vandy is in now and the Vols were a 6-8 team win at best. Fragile, injury prone with one of the worst qbs in the conference shows me they may actually overachieve with 8 wins - and that is not a given vs. Vandy who had this past week off. Beating Florida on the road would have been quite an achievement regardless of Florida's record. The win in Lexington amazes me. Florida has played competitive football most of the season including an exceptional effort at Missouri last night. You would have needed Hooker, Hyatt as well as Cooper Mays to win in the swamp in 2023. Can you start hoping for a close competitive road game before wishing for actual victories?

The Florida loss, the Bammer loss, the Missouri loss and the Georgia loss are in our rear view mirror.
Keep your eyes on the road ahead. Look to the future. Don’t forget the past. Just don’t dwell on it.

Go VOLS

Florida was by far the worse loss. They’re not a quality team. Missouri was a good team this year and they were a terrible matchup for us. Hell we were more competitive with Bama. Georgia is just far and away better than us.

yes UF loss hurts. But also in preseason thought we’d catch a loss among the SC, KY, TaM games. JH not going to say it but I think he knows he’s hamstrung at qb position this year….and D is better but still nowhere near where needs to be in depth with how we play offense.

Reactions: VAVol85
I remember how injuries decimated our team in 2000. Had it not been for Fulmers outstanding coaching that year, we may have had a 5-7 year that year!

Injuries are an important and major part of the game!

I mean, it’s the one of the losses that was the most inexcusable by far. But losing to them so many times over the decades has kindof numbed me to it a bit. I basically expect it every year. The Mizzou one “hurt” the most. Did not see that coming at all. Dont like using thay word because it seems like the fans care more than the mercenary players do anyway.

Not so fast. The whole body of work minus Vandy is in now and the Vols were a 6-8 team win at best. Fragile, injury prone with one of the worst qbs in the conference shows me they may actually overachieve with 8 wins - and that is not a given vs. Vandy who had this past week off. Beating Florida on the road would have been quite an achievement regardless of Florida's record. The win in Lexington amazes me. Florida has played competitive football most of the season including an exceptional effort at Missouri last night. You would have needed Hooker, Hyatt as well as Cooper Mays to win in the swamp in 2023. Can you start hoping for a close competitive road game before wishing for actual victories?
This right here is the loser mentality he was speaking of. We are a football rich program with all of the resources and money to burn. It’s sad to see fans like you try to convince other fans we should expect to go lose on the road. Hell no. Get outta here with that soft ****. I can buy that for Ga and Bama most years. But Florida? No. That’s just a sad loser mentality and culture of accepting defeat. Do better.

Reactions: Doberman and knox73
Florida sucks and we should have beat them easily this season. They suck and no excuses—Milton did not get it done. We are going to ream them next year. It's Nico time.

Reactions: jblank
EBFVOL ( post # 1)said:
“Only the future will show whether or not we missed an opportunity to derail their program further, but by far, as of this moment, that game is the one that stings the most IMO.”
We haven’t played Vanderbilt yet. I’m reserving judgement on which loss hurts the most until AFTER the Vandy game. This team is psychologically set up to BLOW that one while Vandy is highly motivated, as always, to utterly embarrass THE University of Tennessee.

That game showed that the Vols just weren't physical enough this year. We can set around here and debate whether Heupel will work out or not, How many years he will be here or not. That's the one area he has to change his team. If they don't get more physical then he won't be here long. You can't finesse your way to titles in the SEC. Always going to be a UF, UGA, BAMA in your way and you can't tiptoe or dance around them..

Reactions: Doberman
EBFVOL ( post # 1)said:
“Only the future will show whether or not we missed an opportunity to derail their program further, but by far, as of this moment, that game is the one that stings the most IMO.”
We haven’t played Vanderbilt yet. I’m reserving judgement on which loss hurts the most until AFTER the Vandy game. This team is psychologically set up to BLOW that one while Vandy is highly motivated, as always, to utterly embarrass THE University of Tennessee.
please Vandy is terrible. Vols roll bigly.

Yep. That one stung. Especially when you consider that they'll likely finish 5-7 and not go bowling. They are not a good football team at all but they sure look like a good one when they play us. I like that we are playing them later in the year next season. They tend to soften up as the season goes on.

VN Store

Back