For those still on the fence about Jones....

Dobbs came out and made Bama look foolish from the start. I'm predicting a much closer game this year. 6-10 points is my guess.

From the START? It took more time than that. Maybe without the benefit of a changeup they figure him out sooner? I agree that didn't and don't have an answer for him. But so much of QBing is mental...kinda like pitching in baseball. Mental frame of mind et al. I'm going with he was in a good place when they put him in...and it showed.

Well, everyone who counted "knew" who the better QB was... his name was Justin Worley.

You can argue that with the OL being as bad as it was that he wasn't the best match for them. But Worley threw the ball MUCH better than Dobbs. Not just a little but MILES apart. He made better reads and throwing decisions. When given just a little time, he was good.

That's what they wanted Dobbs to learn by RSing. He was the 2nd best option, not the first.

FTR, a healthy Worley probably beats the same teams down the stretch that Dobbs beat and possibly MU as well. He would have done it differently... but I believe the W's would have been the same if not better.

Not that we will ever know but IMO UT is 5-7 if Worley is able to finish. I dont think he was a bad QB but given the OL issues and injuries to the skill spots what he brought to the table was minimized by his lack of mobility.

The goal was a bowl game. I think Jones felt he could achieve that with Worley while Dobbs progressed. I think 2015 will be a better year because Dobbs got some experience last year and the program and fanbase is flowing with confidence you dont get from 5-7 the previous year.

On Losing Streaks...

Butch didn't start the fire.
He didn't lite it,
But he's trying to fight it.

Man, that could be a song!

GBO!!!

Dooley tried to fight it. The coach that will last will be the one that puts these fires out. Wins are the ultimate judge. Jones has to start winning. I think he will, but I'll stay on the fence until he does.

Dooley tried to fight it. The coach that will last will be the one that puts these fires out. Wins are the ultimate judge. Jones has to start winning. I think he will, but I'll stay on the fence until he does.

One of those streaks will be in reach 2 straight years this Sept. If he pulls it off it will be more important for perception considering it would be a win against a team that will not finish high.

The other big one is still a year out but he won't lose ground by not stopping it this year. So long as he doesnt slip in a 4 or 5 more.

So many people are upset ITT, and when you really look at why, it's kinda humorous. I've read almost every post here and haven't seen anyone saying Butch Jones is a bad coach, but that hasn't stopped the avalanche of berating being tossed around in defense of someone that's not even really being attacked. Come on, everyone. I don't think it's a mortal sin for some to want to wait before putting up a statue for Jones. There's so much anger here; it's not healthy.

Reactions: 2 people
So many people are upset ITT, and when you really look at why, it's kinda humorous. I've read almost every post here and haven't seen anyone saying Butch Jones is a bad coach, but that hasn't stopped the avalanche of berating being tossed around in defense of someone that's not even really being attacked. Come on, everyone. I don't think it's a mortal sin for some to want to wait before putting up a statue for Jones. There's so much anger here; it's not healthy.

Agree. I don't know how anyone can get upset with a guy on here saying "I love what he's done with every facet of the program with the exception of the win-loss column" .......he's 12-13 right now. Anyone not somewhat to firmly on the fence right now and not taking a bit of a wait and see approach just isn't being realistic IMO. Everything's in place, thanks to him, to have a very competitive season in 2015....but he's gotta get wins to squash the "skepticism" that that 12-13 record has brought about.

Everybody KNEW Dobbs was better? Really because I don't recall seeing people on this or other sites saying that early in the year.
Revisionist history is. A funny thing.

anybody that saw the spring game and along with all the analyst knew who the better qb was. look it up champ.

Well, everyone who counted "knew" who the better QB was... his name was Justin Worley.

You can argue that with the OL being as bad as it was that he wasn't the best match for them. But Worley threw the ball MUCH better than Dobbs. Not just a little but MILES apart. He made better reads and throwing decisions. When given just a little time, he was good.

That's what they wanted Dobbs to learn by RSing. He was the 2nd best option, not the first.

FTR, a healthy Worley probably beats the same teams down the stretch that Dobbs beat and possibly MU as well. He would have done it differently... but I believe the W's would have been the same if not better.

when did Worley ever throw the ball good except against crappy teams. this is news to me because I never saw it. with the oline being bad that was more of a reason to have dobbs in there instead of the turtle Worley.

As we all know, WINS are what make or break a coaching career. I happen to still be one of those on the fence about Jones until I see results on the field, which should be understandable. Looking at the big picture, for me, 3-1 with the loss being to Oklahoma or 4-0 would get me on the wagon 100%. Jones has been incredible with everything else, he's bringing in the talent, etc., but the big wins gotta start early this year with the Gators being right there. For those still in doubt, what point in the season would get you fully on board?

A win over Oklahoma or Florida plus a win over 3 of 4 against Mizzou, UGA, SC and Arky we win 3 of those 4 and Oklahoma or Florida and I will be satisfied as long as there's no bad losses to BG or NT mixed in. 8 wins and finally winning against Florida, or after Mizzou has won the East lately and the close losses to UGA I want to beat all 3 of those but Florida the most. It's been nice having wins over SC the last couple of years and any time we beat Suppier is good. Arky would be a nice win since they are also up and coming but that Oklahoma win could set us ablaze for the Florida game to finally snap that streak which would set us up nicely for Arky and UGA at home to really turn heads and set our selves up for the east if we beat Florida and UGA.

I would also like to add a point that gives us what i think is something to look forward to and that is last year was the first year in many years (not sure the exact number) that we haven't had a single player drafted into the NFL. The bowl game and intensity these young men played with last year just goes to show how much better the coaching is than in previous years. Just a much better culture and mentality!

anybody that saw the spring game and along with all the analyst knew who the better qb was. look it up champ.

Spring games are showcases for lots of "talent" that we never see again. 2014 game didn't show us what we had in Barnett...he wasn't here yet. :). Going by your reasoning, Malone should have been an All-American candidate.

He wasn't. :shhh:

when did Worley ever throw the ball good except against crappy teams. this is news to me because I never saw it. with the oline being bad that was more of a reason to have dobbs in there instead of the turtle Worley.

Georgia a "crappy team"? It's ok...take your time. :)

Reactions: 1 person

Tennessee Passing
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Justin Worley 23/35 264 7.5 3 0 73.0

--
Georgia Passing
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Hutson Mason 16/25 147 5.9 1 2 30.5

Hutson Mason (Washington Redskins) played behind an experienced and talented OL.

I don't expect this post to actually make you not trash talk the VFL or blame the coach but you asked.

Everybody, and I mean everybody who covers the team and/or had the ability to watch Fall camp last year commented on and clearly communicated Dobbs' poor play/accuracy at that point. I'm as big a Dobbs homer as there is, but I clearly remember guys like Swain, Lewis, Rucker, Hyams, Hubbs, Brice et al saying that he just wasn't performing well and didn't have the coaches trust. Said he just wasn't ready and needed redshirt for development, which, as well know now, was the plan for Josh.

I also recall the RTI guys saying early in the season, week 3 or 4, that Dobbs was really beginning to pick it up and play well in practice. So, what we all saw in the Spring game last year was not what the coaches saw in Fall camp. For whatever reason, Josh just needed more time and wasn't ready. Thank God he kept at it, kept working and was ready to go when his number was called week 9 vs Alabama.

Worley's best game last year was vs Georgia...as in 10-3 Georgia......23-35, 264 yds, 3tds, no ints.

You do understand that the O&W game is a practice and that coaches only give players what they can handle in practice, right? Different players get challenged at different levels. There was NEVER a question that Worley maintained a lead. He almost always went out with the 1's first and ALWAYS got the starter's reps with the 1's.

VN Store

Back