Former Vol Coming out with New Book on his time at Tennessee

Which book Cover is better?

• Total voters
Daryl Hardy had the block (he had many of them for Tenn)... 1991 was Notre Dame's 1st season with home games on NBC and Dick Enberg and Bill Walsh had the call with John Dockery as the sideline reporter. They weren't exactly impartial as I recall. If you were listening to John Ward's call of the last play, you would have heard him call it like this: "The kick is good... No! The kick is no good...The kick is NO GOOD!" When he retired in '98, he cited that as the worst call of his career and biggest regret.

John Ward was the best ever and never had a bad call. Still remember him saying it was "good" at first and glad I was watching on TV so I could see it was no good.

Reactions: 1 person
I mentioned in another thread that the Miley return was one of John Ward's finest play calls. Starts at the .55 mark.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOXrjUGBIIM[/YOUTUBE]

One of about a million great JW play calls. :)

I asked AK to talk about the Notre Dame game, he started talking how the linebacker baited him to throw the pick. As big of a win "The Miracle" was, he spoke about the loss the year before.

Mark, you still owe me a copy of the picture your dad took of the blocked FG to end the game.

Jump higher Vols.

Last edited:
John Ward was the best ever and never had a bad call. Still remember him saying it was "good" at first and glad I was watching on TV so I could see it was no good.

I loved JW as much as anyone but what the heck was he looking at? Both officials under the crossbar are waving it off and every Tennessee player on the field is celebrating. Not to mention the fact it was partially blocked by Jeremy Lincoln and not close to going through the uprights.

Last edited:
I loved JW as much as anyone but what the heck was he looking at? Both officials under the crossbar are waving it off and every Tennessee player on the field is celebrating. Not to mention the fact it was partially blocked by Jeremy Lincoln and not close to going through the uprights.

It was a big time botched call, but that almost added to it in a weird way. It's funny listening to Ward recount making the call and then out of the corner of his eye catching the coaches next door hugging and high diving each other for some reason.

So remember this game when people say the orange pants are cursed. Only the first half of this game. Lol

Makes me wish we would play Notre Dame again.
I'm not a proponent of violence against women.
But it's always fun to beat Our Lady.

I didn't like how CJM was treated, and he gave UT Fans some fantastic games, but it was time for UT to make a jump. Many of the SEC powers were suffering from bad coaching decisions (sound familiar) and UT was able to cash in on some elite players. The 90s were just flat out awesome! for UT Fans. However, as everything, the other schools started hiring some decent coaches: Florida, Georgia, LSU and UT had to contend with recruiting issues and troubles on and off the field. The "dark ages" were upon the great state of Tennessee, and the carousel of bad coaching decisions drove the school into a darker hole. One day a Orange Moon rose over Neyland Stadium one Saturday and UT was playing Cincinnati and that was the start of a dream that soon brought a renaissance and better days. The longest 10 years of my life.

Go Vols!

LMAO! Did you know Pickle? "Life's too short to go around small".

I went to high school with all the Pickle brothers and one sister. Joe was the greatest Holston High School athlete to play at UT since Jimmy England, lol!

I went to high school with all the Pickle brothers and one sister. Joe was the greatest Holston High School athlete to play at UT since Jimmy England, lol!

I lost track of Joe but he was a close friend in college. Unique gentleman. LOL

It was a big time botched call, but that almost added to it in a weird way. It's funny listening to Ward recount making the call and then out of the corner of his eye catching the coaches next door hugging and high diving each other for some reason.

"High diving" each other.

And Ward botched the call.:)

13095761_1165950820090919_4398356488821523627_n.jpg

Floyd asked me to post this here. Hope it gets some interest.

I got mad and turned the TV off just a couple of plays before that play pictured. I've never done that again.

I'll never forget that game as long as I live! My wife and I were staying in Gatlinburg and we had driven into Cades Cove. I'll never forget listening to John Ward's call of the game! It was Epic! Can't wait to read this book!

the notre dame fans were nice mostly because they didn't think we had a chance. In fact before the game we met some from Minnesota and they were dismissing our chances just like"the Braves had no chance against the Twins" a few weeks earlier. They actually said that.

Bite me ND! Should have won the year before. I remember ND fans in Knoxville with their sweatshirts that read Catholics vs. Convicts part II
It was so sweet seeing Aaron Hayden follow the wall of vols on the walk-in game winning screen TD.
I should have died that day. Life has not been as good since.

I got mad and turned the TV off just a couple of plays before that play pictured. I've never done that again.

I started doing chores before you have up. ND was beating us like a DIII school. They were dominating us on every phase. We looked like a dear in the headlights.

Thankfully, there is 2nd half. After that 10pt swing, ND looked flat. :eek:lol:

I watched the game at the Old College Inn (some of you may have had a beer or two there), good times. For the "Young" on this board, I hope there is time when you too can live in an era when UT Kicks Ass. Did we(the old guys) expect to win the Big Games, Hell Yes. During the last ten years or so, we have far too many fans willing to be okay with "Heading in the right direction", and "Well, we aren't going to beat Bama or fl, but everything else is super-duper......". Once you've lived through the years with guys like Peyton, and Tee Martin, winning a game or two, you won't like going back to "Heading in the direction....". Maybe this year will be different..

I mentioned in another thread that the Miley return was one of John Ward's finest play calls. Starts at the .55 mark.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOXrjUGBIIM[/YOUTUBE]

That final FG att. missed so bad I cant believe some of those ND players thought it was going through

VN Store

Back