Free throws

I'm no expert, but I was taught to get a set routine much like putting in golf and do it exactly the same way every time. I was also taught to focus my eyes on the front of the rim through the entire process and use my knees. Not sure about the others, but lately Vescovi looks down and only looks at the rim as he's shooting the ball. Hey, if that's the way he's always done it, so be it, but something is amiss lately. In the end, I suspect it's fatigue getting our guys. Look, we play really hard on defense and we've been short handed more often than not. That's bound to reach a breaking point sooner or later. Hell, it seems like JJJ has been on the shelf for most of the season and Phillips is on his same "5 star path at UT". Some guys just aren't durable and that sure as hell won't bode well for their NBA chances. They don't pay guys to sit and watch. That's what fans are for.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Just a thought, could it have anything to do with 2 of our better players missing. So our best players left are playing more minutes. Same amount of energy spent on defense leading to being tired in second half?

I think it is an indicator of what is wrong with the game. There are more athletes than ball players. What we need is a “Set-shot Buford” like in “The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh”

I think it is an indicator of what is wrong with the game. There are more athletes than ball players. What we need is a “Set-shot Buford” like in “The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh”
Fundamentals are sorely lacking. Kids focus on dunks not FTs and blocking out. Just the state of the game.

You mean like Shaq and Wilt?
If you can dominate a game like those two that's a different conversation.
People have tendency to give them a bit of a pass.
Don't believe we have any Wilt or Shaq on the squad.

There were a lot of missed calls. Near mid court, the Kentucky player bumped our player and our player got the foul. There were several charging fouls not called and Kentucky got the baskets. As for foul shooting, Kentucky shot 21 more than Tennessee.

Those fouls in the Ky. game are from the SEC conference, trying to get another member into the NCAA tournament. Means more money for the conference coffers.

Last 2 games:

UT 4-10
UK 23-35

UT 10-14
TAM 28-34

Our % is not very good, but the disparity in attempts is beyond
comprehension.

I want to thank Tommy for doing the hard work to uncover the concept that our team should “practice shooting free throws”. If this gets to Coach Barnes, the sky is the limit.

Considering Tennessee is 185th in free throw percentage, I am not sure they practice anything other than defense

You mean kind of like Bama in football? lol
This is true. I still can’t believe the refs did not swallow their whistle on that last interception in the Tennessee game. The only thing I can think of is after Texas got cheated they complained. As a result Tennessee finally received a fairly called game. Texas being in the SEC may reduce the gump’s influence on the refs.

Does anyone else besides me think this is a tired basketball team? Defense is even starting to slack off.

I think it is very possible that the injuries have concentrated minutes of the remaining guys and probably prohibited some from fully healing when others go down. Missing JJJ and Phillips and not having enough ball handling guards, especially when your defense requires the amount of physical exertion that ours does. Not to mention the inability to use best matchups for whole games.

Reactions: lastlap
A&M is #1 in the nation in ft’s made and #2 in the nation in ft’s attempted. It’s their game. So, not surprising.

VN Store

Back