FSU Board of Trustees to start formally getting out of the ACC

They will either lobby to become part of the B10 (12) or SEC. If SEC added FSU and either Miami, North Carolina or Clemson, the conference would only continue to strengthen and dominate.

Reactions: VolNExile
The mistake was joining it in the first place.

While it has improved their basketball program they seem to have capped out on that some time ago. And it has hurt the competitiveness of the football program, made them less prestigious, and thereby cost them quite a bit of money.

They will either lobby to become part of the B10 (12) or SEC. If SEC added FSU and either Miami, North Carolina or Clemson, the conference would only continue to strengthen and dominate.

I've long opposed that but I think it's time to relent and be ok with FSU joining.

Miami is a different story. They lack any semblance of identity with SEC schools, at any level. They should never be allowed into the SEC.

Yeah, everyone is talking about this again but there are still two major hurdles that I don't think have been addressed:

1. Getting the money for the buy-out (there might be a way around it legally and not paying by labeling the contract unequitable but that is another story).

2. B1G and SEC have both NOT expressed interest right now and it seems like FSU isn't doing enough to get interest. B1G is having an issue with FSU not being AAU and SEC seems to be happy with current layout (between two the SEC seems more likely)

There is also an interest tidbit, ESPN has the ACC Television rights, they are also the proponent for the SEC. To me, ESPN advocating for Alabama didn't make that much sense since they also, technically, have the media rights for FSU and the ACC deal is actually a more favorable contract for them. However, Alabama has significantly more ratings so that may have been the real factor.

I've long opposed that but I think it's time to relent and be ok with FSU joining.

Miami is a different story. They lack any semblance of identity with SEC schools, at any level. They should never be allowed into the SEC.
North Carolina or Clemson would be good additions, then. I would lean more to North Carolina because the SEC already has market share in SC. And it would take basketball up a notch.

Yeah, everyone is talking about this again but there are still two major hurdles that I don't think have been addressed:

1. Getting the money for the buy-out (there might be a way around it legally and not paying by labeling the contract unequitable but that is another story).

2. B1G and SEC have both NOT expressed interest right now and it seems like FSU isn't doing enough to get interest. B1G is having an issue with FSU not being AAU and SEC seems to be happy with current layout (between two the SEC seems more likely)

There is also an interest tidbit, ESPN has the ACC Television rights, they are also the proponent for the SEC. To me, ESPN advocating for Alabama didn't make that much sense since they also, technically, have the media rights for FSU and the ACC deal is actually a more favorable contract for them. However, Alabama has significantly more ratings so that may have been the real factor.

No league can come out and publicly offer any school before they officially "leave" the conference they are in

I'm sure negotiations have been going on through intermediaries.

You think UVA brings competitiveness in any of the big 3 sports?

I know that UVA is solid in basketball/baseball from a prestige perspective, to say nothing of academics, I just have sincere doubts about their popularity relative to Virginia Tech. If the SEC grabs the Hokies and Big Ten grabs the 'Hoos, there's just no way imaginable that Virginia has anywhere near the fan following.

No league can come out and publicly offer any school before they officially "leave" the conference they are in

I'm sure negotiations have been going on through intermediaries.

True but rumor is that FSU isn't getting the hits. I mean with the right deal, it will happen. It took Oregon and Washington giving up half their revenue to get in the B1G and make it work but they did it. FSU is probably going to need to do something similar to get into, at least, the B1G. Not sure about the SEC as I have heard that, by policy, they won't do something like that and only bring in full members. Little known secret, CBS never paid the cut for Missouri and Texas A&M joining but the SEC still paid out both programs in full and took the hit (the other members I mean).

I know that UVA is solid in basketball/baseball from a prestige perspective, to say nothing of academics, I just have sincere doubts about their popularity relative to Virginia Tech. If the SEC grabs the Hokies and Big Ten grabs the 'Hoos, there's just no way imaginable that Virginia has anywhere near the fan following.

Yeah, I am not sure how much $$ UVA brings but they seem to be a package deal with UNC. I think both are more desired due to the new market. I have also heard that both the B1G and SEC are interested in expanding Basketball branding now. Curious to see if this may put a team like Kansas back on the radar. UNC would definitely be more desirable than Kansas, however, because it is in a lot bigger market region and it actually has a decent Football stadium/program. Kansas' stadium looks more like a G5 than a Power 5 team. Fortunately Kansas Football is doing better right now and is trending up.

The Virginia AD routinely takes in more money than UT

How, I do not know.

UVA is a better pickup than Virginia Tech. Va Tech hasn't really been that great since Frank Beamer retired. They are in a more football friendly/rural part of Virginia so that helps a little. Va Tech would be a great culture fit in the SEC and their proximity to Tennessee would make them a possible rival for us.

Yeah, I am not sure how much $$ UVA brings but they seem to be a package deal with UNC. I think both are more desired due to the new market. I have also heard that both the B1G and SEC are interested in expanding Basketball branding now. Curious to see if this may put a team like Kansas back on the radar. UNC would definitely be more desirable than Kansas, however, because it is in a lot bigger market region and it actually has a decent Football stadium/program. Kansas' stadium looks more like a G5 than a Power 5 team. Fortunately Kansas Football is doing better right now and is trending up.

It's going to be interesting and, while I feel that Washington and Oregon were good takes for the Big Ten, it puts them at a slight disadvantage in terms of ACC poaching unless they really want to balloon into a 24-team behemoth.

If I had to guess, Virginia would much prefer joining the Big Ten and I would assume that feeling is mutual. UNC probably leans the Big Ten but wouldn't hate being in the SEC. Florida State leaned SEC and had a somewhat split camp though that seems to have changed in terms of fan opinions after the playoff snub.

I'd like to see the SEC do whatever it could to ensure the addition of UNC so, if that meant a package deal with UVA then that makes sense. UNC/UVA/FSU or UNC/VA Tech/FSU both seem like awesome options and I would assume Clemson is in at number 20 unless you could make a crazy power play for Notre Dame... which has almost no chance of occurring.

Reactions: volbound1700
Maybe FSU can get its donors to pay for all the legal expenses involved in fighting the ACC in order to leave without paying the buyout. But if they try to get the Florida Board of Governors (ultimate authority in how the state universities get state money) to pay, that will be shot down faster than a drone in the Ukraine War. All the state universities lobby hard for their pieces of the pie.

It's going to be interesting and, while I feel that Washington and Oregon were good takes for the Big Ten, it puts them at a slight disadvantage in terms of ACC poaching unless they really want to balloon into a 24-team behemoth.

If I had to guess, Virginia would much prefer joining the Big Ten and I would assume that feeling is mutual. UNC probably leans the Big Ten but wouldn't hate being in the SEC. Florida State leaned SEC and had a somewhat split camp though that seems to have changed in terms of fan opinions after the playoff snub.

I'd like to see the SEC do whatever it could to ensure the addition of UNC so, if that meant a package deal with UVA then that makes sense. UNC/UVA/FSU or UNC/VA Tech/FSU both seem like awesome options and I would assume Clemson is in at number 20 unless you could make a crazy power play for Notre Dame... which has almost no chance of occurring.

I think it is actually to the B1G and SEC's advantage to sit and wait it out. Remember that Clemson would not have been that attractive prior to Swinney's run. Miami seems to be an after thought now while they would have been a big brand to grab in the early 2000s. Oregon was not that attractive prior to the Nike investment. Seeing how these teams perform over a long-term situation instead of making a knee jerk reaction is the best bet. B1G has some buyer's remorse with Maryland and Rutgers in my opinion and wants to avoid just grabbing teams to grab them.

SEC has always been a little strategic in its moves staying somewhat regional and picking up teams that fit to a degree. Even with Missouri feeling a little odd as a pickup, they have still managed to fit in to a degree and brought value to the league. I also feel like the B1G has upgraded with their new AD and is being more strategic now. Both are still trying to digest the current expansion as well. Going off history, the next round of expansions won't be until mid 2030s which also aligns well with the ACC's contract end. I think both leagues are willing to wait it out and I would be surprised if there is a move.

Regarding UNC and UVA, I don't think they care as long as they get the check. I have actually heard UNC leans more SEC and UVA might as well because they were historically in the SIAA and Southern Conference with SEC schools and UNC would love to be in a league with Kentucky Basketball to play against. There is also an off chance that the SEC would take Duke as well. Back when the ACC lost Maryland, it was UNC and Duke that talked to the SEC (they didn't talk to the B1G).

Keep in mind that UNC would have geographical connections with South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, and others. They really don't have that with the B1G other than Maryland.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Maybe FSU can get its donors to pay for all the legal expenses involved in fighting the ACC in order to leave without paying the buyout. But if they try to get the Florida Board of Governors (ultimate authority in how the state universities get state money) to pay, that will be shot down faster than a drone in the Ukraine War. All the state universities lobby hard for their pieces of the pie.

Yeah, there is an argument that NIL and Playoff Expansion were an unforeseeable change in the College Landscape that has made the ACC agreement unequitable. I think they have an argument with the gap in value between ACC contract versus other media deals.

However, courts usually bail out parties that have limited legal experience/resources and don't general side with party that have a lot of resources at their expense like a University (or set of) would have so who knows how it goes.

Definitely a risky venture to challenge the GOR.

Another thought is that they are heading to the SEC and since ESPN is a major party of the contract, ESPN may have cut a deal with them to join the SEC. They would still need to pay the ACC but that would cut their expenses in half if not more.

I think that's a big deal. It's going to take a load of money to break the Grant of Rights and, apparently, there's no legal "slam dunk" win strategy.

Getting a group of FSU fat cats to get behind this means they'll need some "proof of concept" exists legally for a win. As I understand the ACC GoR situation, no school has been able to find the key yet and there's a couple of VERY good law schools in the ACC.

I get a kick out of this because it's basically very rich guys playing chess with attorneys as pieces for a minimum of $1000/hr. What could possibly show the wretched excess that college athletics has become than spending millions to avoid spending millions?

Sorry for all the posts, I find the topic and everyone else's posts very interesting.

Another thought, if FSU had a destination, would they be going public with everything? Notice that with most of the expansion candidates (notably OU, Texas, UCLA, and USC), the move came out of left field and was done privately behind doors. Oregon and Washington was a little more knowledgeable but that was because Pac12 issues were in the forefront. Texas A&M made a lot of noise as well with the SECEDE stuff so that might be the exception but, historically, most of the done deals have happened behind closed doors.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Sorry for all the posts, I find the topic and everyone else's posts very interesting.

Another thought, if FSU had a destination, would they be going public with everything? Notice that with most of the expansion candidates (notably OU, Texas, UCLA, and USC), the move came out of left field and was done privately behind doors. Oregon and Washington was a little more knowledgeable but that was because Pac12 issues were in the forefront. Texas A&M made a lot of noise as well with the SECEDE stuff so that might be the exception but, historically, most of the done deals have happened behind closed doors.
I don't know of any legal "tampering with our conference members" agreement but I think the SEC or B1G would not be amused if FSU spilled info that they had an offer or a quid pro quo agreement with either one.

I'm sure there's been at least "what if" discussions but we'll be the last to know. After all, these admins are gentlemen. 🙄

Reactions: volbound1700

VN Store

Back