Full Practice Schedule Released

I hope they change anything and everything that was making our guys get injured during these startup practices. Need to be hitting on all cylinders come game 1.

Reactions: 1 person
I hope they change anything and everything that was making our guys get injured during these startup practices. Need to be hitting on all cylinders come game 1.

It sure is a fine line between playing it too safe and goin too ez and the team not being ready for full on contact vs goin live too much and pushing players too hard and getting guys injured.

I'm glad I'm not the man having to decide the correct dose of goin "thud" and goin straight up killer mode.

Probably just basing it off the recently released schedule.

DP said it's based on whether or not the stadium construction is finished by the 20th.

No. He gave his reasons. Said it has to do the University's class schedule which reduces the number of full day practices the team can have vs prior years. Ties into Butch's pronouncement that we'll have the "shortest training camp in the history of college football".

I'm just reporting what I heard Hubbs say this morning. Perhaps he's all wet and ill-informed here. But he said it matter of factly and with no hesitation. Guess we'll know soon enough if he was mistaken.....I kinda hope he is, I went last year and enjoyed it.

No. He gave his reasons. Said it has to do the University's class schedule which reduces the number of full day practices the team can have vs prior years. Ties into Butch's pronouncement that we'll have the "shortest training camp in the history of college football".

I'm just reporting what I heard Hubbs say this morning. Perhaps he's all wet and ill-informed here. But he said it matter of factly and with no hesitation. Guess we'll know soon enough if he was mistaken.....I kinda hope he is, I went last year and enjoyed it.

And all of that is true, although the academic schedule is exactly the same as it was last year.

But the open practice has always taken place after school has started, typically two weeks before the opener. If they don't have it, it's facility related, whether that is reason that is stated publicly or not.

They have played the stadium work very close to the vest this off season because, like I said earlier, the work will not be apparent to most fans. It's all stuff behind-the-scenes that has to be done before the major upgrades can be planned out. So if they publicize that they've spent time and money on the stadium without anything drastic being noticeable to fans, then it starts another PR distraction that UT doesn't want as they try to raise money for major stadium renovations.

Reactions: 3 people
Should be an official announcement tomorrow, but I'm not expecting there to be one at this point. The practice schedule given to players today has a morning practice set for Sat August 20, which had been targeted for the day if they could make it happen with the facilities work.

Butch won't mention the stadium work because it's all behind-the scenes stuff that fans won't notice. He's going to talk about the class conflicts during the first week of camp and the two fewer days before the opener against Appy State.

So he's going to come out talking about excuses? Why?

As a good friend of mine always says, there's a big difference between reasons and excuses.

Reasons are out of your control. Excuses are things you can control, but choose not to.

Fall camp is going to be compressed by two days. They're finishing infrastructure updates and painting at the stadium. Both of those are REASONS they aren't having an open practice.

As I said in the post above, they have played the stadium work very close to the vest this off season because the work will not be apparent to most fans. It's all stuff behind-the-scenes that has to be done before the major upgrades can be planned out. So if they publicize that they've spent time and money on the stadium without anything drastic being noticeable to fans, then it starts another PR distraction that UT doesn't want as they try to raise money for major stadium renovations. So Butch may not mention that at all as a reason behind not having an open practice. Things will probably be done ahead of August 20, but at some point you have to make a decision whether you're going to have 40,000 people come to campus or not and the uncertainly was enough to make the decision for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Monday, Aug. 1

11:30 a.m. - Press Conference at Ray and Lucy Hand Studio (Coach Jones)

6:10 p.m. – Practice #1, Selected Periods (Coach Jones, Selected Players)

Tuesday, Aug. 2

6:10 p.m. – Practice #2, Selected Periods (No Media Interviews)

Wednesday, Aug. 3

1:00 p.m. – Coordinators/Selected Coaches available at Ray and Lucy Hand Studio

6:35 p.m. – Practice #3, Selected Periods

Thursday, Aug. 4

11:00 a.m. – Selected Players available at Ray and Lucy Hand Studio

6:10 p.m. – Practice #4, Selected Periods (Coach Jones)

Friday, Aug. 5

No practice

Saturday, Aug. 6

4:00 p.m. – Practice #5 (First Pads), Selected Periods (Coach Jones, Selected Players)

Sunday, Aug. 7

3:40 p.m. – Practice #6, Closed Practice

Monday, Aug. 8

No practice

Tuesday, Aug. 9

3:35 p.m. – Practice #7, Selected Periods (Coach Jones)

Wednesday, Aug. 10

9:00 a.m. – Practice #8, Selected Periods (Selected Players)

6:50 p.m. – Practice #9, Closed Practice

Thursday, Aug. 11

1:00 p.m. – Coordinators/Selected Coaches Available

4:20 p.m. – Practice #10, Selected Periods (No Media Interviews)

Friday, Aug. 12

3:45 p.m. – Butch Jones at Stokely Family Media Center

4:30 p.m. – MEDIA DAY at Neyland Stadium

Saturday, Aug. 13

11:40 a.m. – Practice #11, Closed Practice

Sunday, Aug. 14

2:00 p.m. – Practice #12, Selected Periods (No Media Interviews)

Monday, Aug. 15

9:00 a.m. – Practice #13, Closed Practice

6:50 p.m. – Practice #14, Selected Periods (Coach Jones)

Tuesday, Aug. 16

2:00 p.m. – Practice #15, Selected Periods (Selected Players)

Wednesday, Aug. 17

First day of classes, No practice

Thursday, Aug. 18

4:30 p.m. – Practice #16, Selected Periods (Coach Jones)

Friday, August 19

TBD – Coordinators/Selected Coaches

4:05 p.m. – Practice #17, Closed Practice

Soooooo no practice from Aug 19 to end of August... like it, less chance for injuries. :)

As a good friend of mine always says, there's a big difference between reasons and excuses.

Reasons are out of your control. Excuses are things you can control, but choose not to.

Fall camp is going to be compressed by two days. They're finishing infrastructure updates and painting at the stadium. Both of those are REASONS they aren't having an open practice.

As I said in the post above, they have played the stadium work very close to the vest this off season because the work will not be apparent to most fans. It's all stuff behind-the-scenes that has to be done before the major upgrades can be planned out. So if they publicize that they've spent time and money on the stadium without anything drastic being noticeable to fans, then it starts another PR distraction that UT doesn't want as they try to raise money for major stadium renovations. So Butch may not mention that at all as a reason behind not having an open practice. Things will probably be done ahead of August 20, but at some point you have to make a decision whether you're going to have 40,000 people come to campus or not and the uncertainly was enough to make the decision for them.

Nm

Last edited:

Monday, Aug. 1

11:30 a.m. - Press Conference at Ray and Lucy Hand Studio (Coach Jones)

6:10 p.m. – Practice #1, Selected Periods (Coach Jones, Selected Players)

Tuesday, Aug. 2

6:10 p.m. – Practice #2, Selected Periods (No Media Interviews)

Wednesday, Aug. 3

1:00 p.m. – Coordinators/Selected Coaches available at Ray and Lucy Hand Studio

6:35 p.m. – Practice #3, Selected Periods

Thursday, Aug. 4

6:10 p.m. – Practice #4, Selected Periods (Coach Jones)

Friday, Aug. 5

No practice

Saturday, Aug. 6

4:00 p.m. – Practice #5 (First Pads), Selected Periods (Coach Jones, Selected Players)

Sunday, Aug. 7

3:40 p.m. – Practice #6, Closed Practice

Monday, Aug. 8

No practice

Tuesday, Aug. 9

3:35 p.m. – Practice #7, Selected Periods (Coach Jones)

Wednesday, Aug. 10

9:00 a.m. – Practice #8, Selected Periods (Selected Players)

6:50 p.m. – Practice #9, Closed Practice

Thursday, Aug. 11

1:00 p.m. – Coordinators/Selected Coaches Available

4:20 p.m. – Practice #10, Selected Periods (No Media Interviews)

Friday, Aug. 12

3:45 p.m. – Butch Jones at Stokely Family Media Center

4:30 p.m. – MEDIA DAY at Neyland Stadium

Saturday, Aug. 13

11:40 a.m. – Practice #11, Closed Practice

Sunday, Aug. 14

2:00 p.m. – Practice #12, Selected Periods (No Media Interviews)

Monday, Aug. 15

9:00 a.m. – Practice #13, Closed Practice

6:50 p.m. – Practice #14, Selected Periods (Coach Jones)

Tuesday, Aug. 16

2:00 p.m. – Practice #15, Selected Periods (Selected Players)

Wednesday, Aug. 17

First day of classes, No practice

Thursday, Aug. 18

4:30 p.m. – Practice #16, Selected Periods (Coach Jones)

Friday, August 19

TBD – Coordinators/Selected Coaches

4:05 p.m. – Practice #17, Closed Practice

Should be an official announcement tomorrow, but I'm not expecting there to be one at this point. The practice schedule given to players today has a morning practice set for Sat August 20, which had been targeted for the day if they could make it happen with the facilities work.

Butch won't mention the stadium work because it's all behind-the scenes stuff that fans won't notice. He's going to talk about the class conflicts during the first week of camp and the two fewer days before the opener against Appy State.

So Hubbs was right after all.

I'm going to Knoxville on Aug 21 for a week.
Could you tell me if there are any Vols football practices or events that week open to the public?

Media Day tomorrow! Looking forward to that because it really starts the excitement, for me, for the season.

So according to the schedule, this is the last week of camp, and there isn't an open practice this year?

And all of that is true, although the academic schedule is exactly the same as it was last year.

But the open practice has always taken place after school has started, typically two weeks before the opener. If they don't have it, it's facility related, whether that is reason that is stated publicly or not.

They have played the stadium work very close to the vest this off season because, like I said earlier, the work will not be apparent to most fans. It's all stuff behind-the-scenes that has to be done before the major upgrades can be planned out. So if they publicize that they've spent time and money on the stadium without anything drastic being noticeable to fans, then it starts another PR distraction that UT doesn't want as they try to raise money for major stadium renovations.

So according to the schedule, this is the last week of camp, and there isn't an open practice this year?

So...I guess they're ready??!!

I think that best answers both your questions, but I never did hear if they finished the work on the stadium, so idk.

And so Fall Camp 2016 is in the books.

Picking up and starting tomorrow, it's in-season practices. Heck, since game #1 is on a Thursday night, tomorrow practically sort-of kinda starts game week prep!

Go Vols!

When are they going to release the practice schedule for the next two weeks? I know they have their first game in 10 DAYS!!! I hope they are practicing all this week at least looking at film or putting in a game plan later this week. And will any of those practices be open to media members NOT students and other people.

VN Store

Back