Fulmer on the 90’s & 00’s with playoffs, NIL, portal

Yes, we were lucky in the 98 championship. And I would add facing the #2 QB for FSU in the title game. But almost every championship winner is lucky at some point along the way.
This is very much true, what the 4 team playoff already has, and the 12 team playoff will rule out even more, is the occasional very lucky championship that is occasioned by a serendipitous schedule and a fluke win or two, like BYU and Georgia Tech's championships during my lifetime.

Last edited:
Reactions: 207 others
The 1998 team beat 4 teams ranked in the top 10 at the time of the game. They beat the Florida, Georgia, the Big East Champions, the ACC Champs, and the top 2 teams in the SEC West. That team would have won a play off. The 1995 team could have won a championship by going thru the play offs, as could the 99 and 01 teams. All of those teams could have been in the playoffs and couldve won it all.

The 1998 team beat 4 teams ranked in the top 10 at the time of the game. They beat the Florida, Georgia, the Big East Champions, the ACC Champs, and the top 2 teams in the SEC West. That team would have won a play off. The 1995 team could have won a championship by going thru the play offs, as could the 99 and 01 teams. All of those teams could have been in the playoffs and couldve won it all.
No one was beating Nebraska in 1995. They beat 4 top-ten teams that year by an average of 31 points.

No one was beating Nebraska in 1995. They beat 4 top-ten teams that year by an average of 31 points.
How did Tom Osborne do that??? Were there recruiting shenanigans? steroids? ref payoffs?

I think we still would have won the national championship in 1998 with a 4 team playoff. In reality, we beat FSU, the #2 team. The #3 and #4 teams that year were UCLA and Kansas State. Both of those teams had bad defenses, especially UCLA’s defense against the run. Miami ran for well over 300 yards in their game against UCLA. Our o-line and the Travis boys would have had a field day against UCLA. Michael Bishop, KSU’s QB, was also turnover prone. UT was like +13 in turnovers that year, and usually capitalized off those turnovers. Turnovers were the main reasons we beat Florida, Auburn, and Arkansas that year. If we’re talking about a 12 team playoff, I’d have to see the seeds because I don’t remember all of the other teams ranked high off the top of my head. I know Ohio State was up there. So was Florida, Wisconsin, Arizona, and even Tulane. So lots of variables in a 12 team playoff. You can’t determine who UT would have faced nor can you anticipate key injuries.
The 98 team just refused to lose. No one was beating them.

Yeah, that Florida game was a hard fought game but a straight up win.

The only thing I remember about that game was the DEFENSE, and especially Al Wilson. Seems the few times we beat them during those years were great football games. Some games we lost to them during that time were not.
Seems to me that Florida had like seven turnovers in that ‘98 game. Those TO’s helped keep us in that game!

Seems to me that Florida had like seven turnovers in that ‘98 game. Those TO’s helped keep us in that game!
You must not have been there. Al Wilson caused at least 4 of those turnovers and probably scared them into any other ones they had. As I said, that team was not gonna lose......to anyone.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Why not 96? He finished the regular season 10-1 and ranked in the top 10, even after the bowl loss to Nebraska. Tennessee absolutely would've been one of the 12.
10-2 with an ugly loss to Memphis. Nobody will ever live that down, nor should they. That means the Gators and Bama most likely are the two teams getting in. IF a third at large SEC team made it maybe. But ESPN hates us and they would have drug us all over the place over that ugly loss

Oh man, the Syracuse, UF, arkansas, somewhat close auburn game, and having weak west #23 MSU for the sec game, we were lucky!!
Remember the refs blew the call on the punt snap that went over the Arkansas punter's head.

Tennessee was given a safety when the correct call was choice between either a safety or the ball first and goal inside the 2 yard line.

That was probably a 5 point swing in Arkansas' favor because Tennessee likely punches it in for a TD instead of settling for 2 points

You must not have been there. Al Wilson caused at least 4 of those turnovers and probably scared them into any other ones they had. As I said, that team was not gonna lose......to anyone.
Not to negate the win just like not negating the Arkansas win but, had the turnover ratio not been what it was, we may not have even been in the game much less overtime.

But the game went to OT. Didn't their kicker miss a FG in OT? Hall made his!

I'm glad the game ended when it did because to give Spurrier another crack at Chavis may not have ended well for the Vols.

Will be so glad when Foolmore is out of everyone's system, if he had done, if he had done that. He didn't, it's in the past. He got millions from our program, let it be. No more. He is is done, get on board for this is now Heupels team, things look bright.

Not without Cutcliffe he wasn't. Spurrier's head to head record settles any reasonable comparison of coaching acumen between those two. I think Fulmer was a good/very good coach, but not elite. When people think of the greatest coaches in the history of the game Fulmer isn't there, Neyland is, but Fulmer is in that second tier with alot of other good coaches.

If you take away Cutcliff, Chief, all those great position coaches, Manning and the loads of other blue chip talent, huge support from the AD, Neyland Stadium advantage, the massive support of the fanbase, the craaazy facilities, and the hostesses, then Fulmer was nothing! 🙄🤦

Reactions: Rocky Top T
If you take away Cutcliff, Chief, all those great position coaches, Manning and the loads of other blue chip talent, huge support from the AD, Neyland Stadium advantage, the massive support of the fanbase, the craaazy facilities, and the hostesses, then Fulmer was nothing! 🙄🤦
You forgot to mention cheerleaders and mascots!

Not without Cutcliffe he wasn't. Spurrier's head to head record settles any reasonable comparison of coaching acumen between those two. I think Fulmer was a good/very good coach, but not elite. When people think of the greatest coaches in the history of the game Fulmer isn't there, Neyland is, but Fulmer is in that second tier with alot of other good coaches.
You are either talking out your a$$ , or you are not old enough to remember college football in the 90’s. Tennessee was elite and Phillip Fulmer was elite.

VN Store

Back