'25 GA OT Juan Gaston

Him being indecisive about visiting us or not before an announcement, is this a good thing or not?
says he's announcing in the fall. so i think the only thing that should matter right now is that we're apparenlty still in this one pretty good it seems and they're finalizing a date for an OV. if he doesn't scheculd the OV, then you probably have an answer. til then.......steady as she goes.

Tennessee offensive coordinator Joey Halzle joined Kelsey Pope and Glen Elarbee at Westlake High School in checking in on wide receiver Travis Smith Jr. and offensive tackle Juan Gaston. Both of the On300 prospects are top priorities for the Vols heading into summer official visits. Tennessee is still viewed as Georgia’s primary competition for both.
on3

I understand the frustration. Love the coaches and want them around for a long time but there is a big drop from #1 recruiting class to a top 10. On3 had uga with 5 5*’s and 18 4*’s in 2024. We had 2 5’s and 10 4*’s. We get really good players but it makes the difference come game time.

I understand the frustration. Love the coaches and want them around for a long time but there is a big drop from #1 recruiting class to a top 10. On3 had uga with 5 5*’s and 18 4*’s in 2024. We had 2 5’s and 10 4*’s. We get really good players but it makes the difference come game time.
You’re not wrong. Georgia had a deeper cupboard to start with as well though. Heupel has done remarkable considering what they had but some positions like Db have been super thin on talent and depth

Why are we comparing ourselves to Georgia? Is that really a fair way to evaluate the outcomes on the field the past 3 years knowing we didn’t have the same talent built up as they have had..

Now if we get blown out again this year you have an argument considering this year 4 but we shouldn’t be comparing ourselves to them talent wise based on the past 3 years and what Heupel was left with when he got here. Their teams were simply more talented the past 3 years over every team they have faced not just us and that is a fact.

Why are we comparing ourselves to Georgia? Is that really a fair way to evaluate the outcomes on the field the past 3 years knowing we didn’t have the same talent built up as they have had..

Now if we get blown out again this year you have an argument considering this year 4 but we shouldn’t be comparing ourselves to them talent wise based on the past 3 years and what Heupel was left with when he got here. Their teams were simply more talented the past 3 years over every team they have faced not just us and that is a fact.
I think honestly comparison to Georgia is a good thing. Despite the talent difference, Georgia had Tennessee circled on the schedule a couple of years ago. I don’t think we’re close to there yet but we’ve at least got a punchers chance in that matchup right now. That’s where we want the bar set in recruiting, coaching, on the field play. They’re the top program in the land right now; that’s where the standard is.

OL recruiting has got to get better to compete with UGA, Ohio St., and Texas. OL recruiting is the only concern and gripe I have with this staff.

Reactions: KnoxVol70

You said it yourself. We didnt have the same talent. This is why closing on big time recruits matter. Also, why would I use some team like Akron in a conversation about recruiting?

Reactions: headhunter15
You said it yourself. We didnt have the same talent. This is why closing on big time recruits matter. Also, why would I use some team like Akron in a conversation about recruiting?
Because it’s a fallacy of a comparison…I get what you are saying it’s just the logic is skewed

OL recruiting has got to get better to compete with UGA, Ohio St., and Texas. OL recruiting is the only concern and gripe I have with this staff.
Elarbee has signed a five star, 8 four stars and some very underrated 3 stars. Ginther, Perry and let's not forget starting left tackle John Campbell Jr. Also, we have been back to back Joe Moore Award candidates the last 2 seasons lol. Obviously development and recruiting has done just fine for that position group.

Elarbee has signed a five star, 8 four stars and some very underrated 3 stars. Ginther, Perry and let's not forget starting left tackle John Campbell Jr. Also, we have been back to back Joe Moore Award candidates the last 2 seasons lol. Obviously development and recruiting has done just fine for that position group.
OL recruiting has been fine for that position group since Darnell Wright got drafted.
Not so much prior to that. I think OL prospects needed to see draft results before they bought what Elarbee was selling, JMO.

In continuing to check around on Juan Gaston, we are told he will take an official visit to Tennessee the weekend of June 14th. That is shaping up to be a massive weekend for the Vols, and the addition of the mammoth prospect only adds to it. He plans to see Georgia, South Carolina and Oregon during the month as well. We believe relationships are key in this one, and Tennessee has continued to do an excellent job heading into the summer, along with Georgia.
-VQ

VN Store

Back