Game Thread: #19/21 Lady Vols vs. #21/19 Indiana, FOX at 6 p.m. ET on Thanksgiving

Disagree, absolutely there is a ton of talent on this team. But they're not responding.
Like they should be.

Definitely.
Team has exceptional talent.
Several Top 100 recruits. I’ve watched dozens of teams play this season and the offensive system ran by TN is not something even the less than decent teams would run.
Every quality opponent we face has an efficient offense that gets their players easy looks/baskets.
Every single point even from Rickea Jackson takes her working to get a basket.
Tennessee scores in spite of their offense not because of the system.

RJ is the "leader" of the team rite?

So hurt or not ,she should be ripping her teammates during timeouts...that's what leaders do...
NO,,,that is what a coach does,,,the athlete only does this if the coach can't/won't
And that is the beginning of a leadership question
Who runs this team

On the court and in the game,,yes, the "considered captain" should ride their case, but, NEVER, from the bench

A team captain can "join" in and give her 2 cents after the coach if she feels the need, but for the "floor general" to be the looked for leader ,,,off the floor .....never works

Last edited:
NO,,,that is what a coach does,,,the athlete only does this if the coach can't/won't
And that is the beginning of a leadership question
Who runs this team

On the court and in the game,,yes, the "considered captain" should ride their case, but, NEVER, from the bench

A team captain can "join" in and give her 2 cents after the coach if she feels the need, but for the "floor general" to be the looked for leader ,,,off the floor .....never works
Well I guess the Women's game is different from the Men's....
I've seen on numerous occasions the leader or Alpha of a team that's injured....rip into his teammates during timeouts....while coaches are discussing what they're having for dinner off on the side ....

Reactions: VolBall09
Well I guess the Women's game is different from the Men's....
I've seen on numerous occasions the leader or Alpha of a team that's injured....rip into his teammates during timeouts....while coaches are discussing what they're having for dinner off on the side ....
very different from the men's yes,,,they're women.

On a men's team Alpha's dominate in number
and in a room full of Alpha's,,,one is "the ALPHA"

In women's,,,can you say the same...
I see far more beta's and alpha-beta players,,,than I see Alpha--"give me the ball and stand back and watch me get you some points"-athletes

One other poster said there were 5 Alpha's
Think of Rick's players,,,any of them look timid to you?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yep. The reality is this program is much closer to Old Dominion or La Tech status. This program is flaming out. And it’s sad to see.
the program has not been a real threat to the throne for many years how long can you live off reputation and long lost memories of national titles Notre Dame football hasn't won title in many years but at least they compete at top level every year

Reactions: Lurker and dapeak

View attachment 597305

Women's BasketballNovember 21, 2023
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- No. 19/21 Tennessee will take on a pair of ranked teams in the Island Division of the Elevance Health Women's Fort Myers Tip-Off during Thanksgiving week.

On Nov. 23 and 25 at Suncoast Credit Union Arena in Fort Myers, the Lady Vols will face off vs. No. 21/19 Indiana (3-1) on Thursday and play No. 22/20 Oklahoma (5-0) on Saturday, respectively, in a predetermined bracket of games.

The UT/IU contest will be carried live by FOX at 6 p.m. ET on Thanksgiving, while the UT/OU game will be broadcast live by Women's Sports Network on Saturday at 1:30 p.m. ET.

Tennessee's sole setback this season came on Nov. 9 in game two, as the Lady Vols fell to current No. 13/13 squad Florida State, 92-91, in a heartbreaker in Tallahassee.

Indiana suffered its only loss on Nov. 12, falling at No. 4/3 Stanford, 96-64.

Oklahoma, meanwhile, remains unbeaten, knocking off No. 24/23 Ole Miss, 80-70, on Nov. 9 for its biggest victory.

The Sooners will meet Princeton at 3 p.m. ET on Thursday before turning their focus toward Saturday's battle with Tennessee.

THE LATEST FROM THE LADY VOLS​

Striplin's Career-Best Day Helps #15/20 Lady Vols Roll Past Troy, 100-73Jackson Chosen For Wooden Award Preseason Watch List#15/12 Lady Vols Fight Off Tenacious Tigers, 84-74, In Overtime#11/12 Lady Vols Drop Heartbreaker To #18/22 Florida State, 92-91#11/12 Lady Vols Drop Heartbreaker To #18/22 Florida State, 92-91UT's Jackson Named To Naismith Trophy Preseason Watch ListLady Vols Battle USA Women's National Team, Fall 95-59UT's Jackson On 16-Player Wade Trophy Watch List Everything Orange Podcast | Jewel Spear (Women's Basketball) Six In Double Figures As #11/12 Lady Vols Cruise Past C-N SEC Coaches Pick Lady Vols Third
ADDITIONAL BROADCAST INFORMATION
  • Lisa Byington (play-by-play) and Sarah Kustok (analyst) will have the call for the FOX television broadcast of the Tennessee-Indiana game.
  • Both contests can be heard on Lady Vol Network stations and by audio stream, with Brian Rice providing play-by-play.
  • A link to the live audio streams can be found on the Hoops Central page or the schedule on UTSports.com.
  • For a list of Lady Vol Network affiliates, please click on the Fans tab at the top of UTSports.com, select Vol Network and then select the Vol Network Affiliates tab.
  • Air time generally occurs 30 minutes prior to tip-off.
  • The Indiana game also will be available on SiriusXM channel 139 or 192 (SEC Channel).
TENNESSEE/INDIANA STORYLINES
  • This will mark the third meeting between Tennessee and Indiana since 2020 and the fourth meeting overall. UT holds a 2-1 edge in the series.
  • Kellie Harper's Lady Vols went to Bloomington unranked on Dec. 17, 2020, and toppled a No. 15/15 Hoosiers squad, 66-58.
  • Rennia Davis' double-double of 19 points, 15 rebounds was a key to the victory at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall where UT overcame the absence of forwards Keyen Green and Jaiden McCoy due to injury.
  • Last season in Knoxville, Teri Moren's club evened the score, as No. 12/11 IU came out on top of No. 11/14 UT, 79-67 on Nov. 14, 2022.
  • Five Hoosiers were in double figures, as Mackenzie Holmes (16/10) and Grace Berger (13/10) had points/rebounds double-doubles.
  • Rickea Jackson paced UT with 17 points, but the Lady Vols played without injured star guard Jordan Horston.
  • Kellie Harper and Teri Moren coached against one another for one season in the Missouri Valley when Harper was head coach at Missouri State (2013-19) and Moren was likewise at Indiana State (2010-14).
  • The skippers each played Power 5 basketball, with Harper (Kellie Jolly) starting three seasons (1996-99)and winning three NCAA titles (1996, 1997, 1998) at Tennessee and Moren starting two seasons at Purdue and being part of three NCAA Tournament teams and the school's first Big Ten title.
GREENFIELD ALUMS REUNITE FOR UT-IU TILT
  • Thursday night's match-up will feature a reunion of three players from Greenfield (Tenn.) High School's 2018 Class A State Championship Team.
  • Tennessee's Tess and Edie Darby and Indiana's Chloe Moore-McNeil played together for that historic Greenfield (Tenn.) Yellowjackets squad and also were on the 2020 juggernaut that had a 34-0 record and No. 1 ranking before the COVID-19 pandemic ended the season prematurely.
  • This will mark the third meeting for Tess Darby and Moore-McNeil, while Edie Darby is joining them for the second straight season.
  • Greenfield, by the way, is where the late Lady Vol coaching legend and UT Martin graduate Pat Summitt did her student teaching.
FAMILIAR FACES ON THE HOOSIER STAFF
  • Indiana director of player development Briana Schomaeker should look familiar to Lady Vol fans.
  • Playing under her maiden name of Briana Bass, the 5-2 dynamo from Indianapolis appeared in 118 games for Tennessee from 2008-12.
  • Bass started as a senior at point guard on Pat Summitt's final team as head coach, helping direct the Lady Vols to a 27-9 record and SEC Tournament title before falling to eventual NCAA champ Baylor in the Elite 8 in Des Moines, Iowa.
  • IU assistant coach Amber Smith played at Kentucky from 2007-11 and was a graduate assistant at Tennessee during the 2013-14 campaign.
FORMER MINNESOTA TEAMMATES FACE OFF
  • Tennessee's Jasmine Powell and Indiana's Sara Scalia were teammates at Minnesota for three seasons before leaving the Gophers for other schools after 2021-22.
  • Scalia averaged 9.5 points and hit 53 three-pointers a year ago at IU, starting 14 games, while Powell put up 4.7 ppg. and had 116 assists in 37 games.
  • Powell and Scalia each scored 16 points for their teams last season when UT and IU met in Knoxville, but Powell made it a double-double with 10 rebounds and contributed four assists as well.
  • This season, Scalia is leading Indiana at 18.5 ppg., while Powell is contributing 10.3 ppg. for the Lady Vols.
  • Scalia (17.9) and Powell (12.4) were Minnesota's top two scorers in 2021-22 and tied for top honors in 2020-21 at 14.5 ppg.
TOP 10 SCORING OFFENSE NATIONALLY
  • As of the Nov. 19 edition of the NCAA Statistics report, Tennessee ranked No. 10 in the nation in points per game at 92.0.
  • Twenty seasons have come and gone since the last time UT enjoyed that kind of early-season scoring output.
  • The most recent time the Lady Vols were previously scoring at that rate through four games was in 2002-03, when the late Pat Summitt's squad had an identical 92.0 average as of Nov. 29, 2002.
  • At no point last season did the Big Orange average better than 79.5 points per contest.
  • This year's squad is only the fifth team in school history to average 92.0 ppg. or above in its opening four games of a season.
  • The other seasons were 2002-03 (92.0), 2001-02 (95.2), 2000-01 (93.5) and 1989-90 (92.0).
PUTTING UP 20 IN A QUARTER
  • Tennessee now has scored 20 or more points in 12 of the 16 quarters it has played this season, including a best frame of 31 in the third stanza vs. Troy.
  • The Lady Vols topped their previous best of 29 in the third period vs. Florida A&M.
  • UT has tallied 110 points in the third quarter this season, which is 23 points better than any other frame.
  • The Big Orange total in that period includes 29 vs. Florida A&M, 28 vs. Florida State, 22 vs. Memphis and 31 vs. Troy.
TOP FIVE IN REBOUNDS PER GAME
  • Tennessee ranks No. 5 nationally in rebounds per game at 53.3 through the Nov. 19 NCAA rankings.
  • The Lady Vols are also No. 9 in offensive rebounds per game (19.8) and No. 10 in rebound margin (21.2) through four contests.
  • Rickea Jackson, who missed the last two games due to injury, paces the squad at 12.0 rpg., followed by Jillian Hollingshead (8.5).
  • Four other players average 5.5 or better, including forwards Karoline Striplin (6.5) and Sara Puckett (6.0), and guards Jewel Spear (6.0) and Kaiya Wynn (5.5).
  • During the Kellie Harper era, UT has three of the school's top six rebound averages, including 48.1 (1st, 2021-22), 46.0 (5th, 2019-20) and 45.6 (6th, 2020-21).
  • Last year's 42.9 per game avg. was 28th all-time at UT and 12th nationally for 2022-23.
RECAPPING THE TROY GAME
  • Tennessee forward Karoline Striplin recorded her first career double-double and led five players in double figures, as the No. 15/20 Lady Volunteers rolled to a 100-73 victory over Troy on Sunday afternoon at Food City Center.
  • The 6-foot-3 junior, who had already produced 15 points and 10 boards by halftime, finished with career highs of 19 points and 14 rebounds to pace the Big Orange. Jillian Hollingshead, a 6-5 junior forward, tied her career best with 18 points and added 10 rebounds for her first double-double of the season and second of her career.
  • Senior guard Destinee Wells also enjoyed the finest performance of her four-game Tennessee career, as the Belmont transfer fired in 18 points and tallied eight assists and four boards with only one turnover in 30 minutes. Junior forward Sara Puckett, who missed practice on Saturday due to illness, turned in 19 gutsy minutes and contributed 14 points and eight boards, while Kaiya Wynn rounded out the double-figure scorers with 10.
  • The Trojans (0-3) had four players score 10-plus, with former Alabama standout Nia Daniel leading the way with 19. Forward Tai'Sheka Porchia had 18 points and a team-high eight boards, while forward Ja'Mia Hollings contributed 16 points and Shalauna Wagner chipped in 10.
  • Tennessee (3-1), playing without starters Rickea Jackson and Jasmine Powell and reserve Avery Strickland due to injury, controlled the game from the second quarter on, winning the final three frames by a 79-52 margin.
  • The Lady Vols' dominance on the glass this season carried over into Sunday's contest, as they out-rebounded Troy, 63-35, and added a season-best 30 second-chance points and another season high of 48 points in the paint.
  • The bench unit made the most of its minutes, scoring 38 points compared to Troy's eight points from reserves.
A LOOK AT INDIANA
  • IU has double-figure scorers in Sara Scalia (18.5), Mackenzie Holmes (17.5) and Yarden Garzon (10.0).
  • The Hoosiers shoot 50.9% and average 87.3 ppg.
  • Indiana commits just 11.8 turnovers per contest.
ABOUT THE HEAD COACH
  • Teri Moren is in her 10th year at IU and has five NCAA bids, including two Sweet 16s and an Elite 8.
  • Last year's team won Indiana's first Big Ten women's hoops championship in 40 years.
  • Moren is IU WBB's all-time winningest coach.
THEIR MOST RECENT GAME
  • Sara Scalia (24) and Mackenzie Holmes (23) combined for 47 points as No. 18 Indiana rolled past Lipscomb, 77-44, at home on Sunday.
LAST UT/IU CONTEST
  • Despite a double-double from Jasmine Powell and three 14-plus-point scorers, No. 11/4 Tennessee fell at home to No. 12/11 Indiana, 79-67, on Nov. 14, 2022.
  • Powell finished with 16 points, 10 rebounds, while Rickea Jackson led the Lady Vols with 17 points and Tamari Key added 14.
  • Indiana was paced by Sara Scalia and Mackenzie Holmes, who each finished with 16. Holmes added 10 rebounds and was joined by Grace Berger (13/10) in the IU double-double club.
WHAT'S NEXT?
  • After the Elevance Health Women's Fort Myers Tip-Off, Tennessee returns home for back-to-back games with No. 17 Notre Dame and No. 15 Ohio State on Nov. 29 and Dec. 3, respectively.
  • If you're paying close attention, that means Tennessee is currently playing four ranked teams in succession and will be beginning its season with five ranked teams in the first eight games.

Happy Turkey Evening To This Board.

very different from the men's yes,,,they're women.

On a men's team Alpha's dominate in number
and in a room full of Alpha's,,,one is "the ALPHA"

In women's,,,can you say the same...
I see far more beta's and alpha-beta players,,,than I see Alpha--"give me the ball and stand back and watch me get you some points"-athletes

One other poster said there were 5 Alpha's
Think of Rick's players,,,any of them look timid to you?
Shouldn't matter Women or Men....
RJ and JP are Alpha's on this team...
Someone on the court needs to call out a teammate getting abused by another teams player....
CKH isn't going to do it, while she stands on sidelines with tears in her eyes...
SOMEONE needs to take control..
Peace out we can disagree...bedtime grandkids will be up at crack of daylight and their poppy better be awake....

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Shouldn't matter Women or Men....
RJ and JP are Alpha's on this team...
Someone on the court needs to call out a teammate getting abused by another teams player....
CKH isn't going to do it, while she stands on sidelines with tears in her eyes...
SOMEONE needs to take control..
Peace out we can disagree...bedtime grandkids will be up at crack of daylight and their poppy better be awake....
'nite ;o)

Why does Kellie think she has to let everyone play every game. You got players knocking shots down and is hot you don’t take them out to let someone else to just get to play that pisses me off
That's the coaching part where she needs to be hard nose coach and not friend. She did not get pulled out when she played. She was on the floor for 98 %of the game. Leave your best 5 on the floor until you blow a team out then sub when the game is out of reach. Everyone on this forum questions why she does this.

That's the coaching part where she needs to be hard nose coach and not friend. She did not get pulled out when she played. She was on the floor for 98 %of the game. Leave your best 5 on the floor until you blow a team out then sub when the game is out of reach. Everyone on this forum questions why she does this.
Actually,,,use the preseason and first 2-3 EZ games are good to see who's gonna bring it
I agree,

Starting spots and PT are for my performers, not my understudies...But you also have to give "meaningful minutes" to players for them to feel like a real player.
That's the coaching part

The key is to sub with purpose, not just bc you can
(this is not an implication)
But it is
1700801470794.png

First and foremost, 1908 are you picking up any info re the lower right leg upon which our season rides?

Without that right lower leg, we have very little margin for error. And tonight there were a bunch of errors. Couldn't hit a lick at a snake from the field, bricking multiple layups, letting yet another 3 pt shooter have a career night.

We have to get more aggression out of Jill. The fact she taps and slaps at rebounds instead of grabbing them is a metaphor for her play. Our post presence is spotty to say the least, though Striplin had a good second half.

I thought Powell played well. She is a tough lil cookie.

Tess is obviously struggling and I'd probably agree more mins for Wynn is the answer

Without Rickea, we have to build more offense around Jewel. From what 1908 said, they may have been trying to do that but she's having trouble understanding the plays. Whatever the adjustment, we have to find her comfort zone again.

The impact a true elite player has just by being on the court is huge. Kellie has said a few times RJ's presence gives the other players a confidence not just in her, but in themselves. This is the same group that hung 91 on a legit top 15 Fla St team and looked good doing it. Which is why I said her loss is completely devastating for this team, not to speak of for her. Poor Rickea's college career has just been cursed. She seemed almost in tears late in the game when her teammates were getting their asses handed to them. Again, her injury is the absolute nightmare scenario for this team.

That said, I actually think they will bounce back and beat OK. And they must. This is probably the winnable game of the remaining three. Let it Be.

Unpopular opinion but I really think we’ll be fine. And for those asserting we don’t have talent… Bffr. We just look a lot like last year. The pieces aren’t melding and Kellie is having a hard time putting it together. I believe it will, but something/many things must change

Reactions: vols90
I will add I think Kellie takes too long to call timeouts and it seems she doesn’t expect much to change after them. We have to start subbing out D liabilities. Why on earth we have post guarding their 3 pt shooters is beyond me.

Reactions: Voluble2
Sara being sick and rolling her foot the day of the game is not in Kelly control. Nor Powell wrist not
100% .

Most telling stat to me is opponents are shooting .427 percent from the three point line and averaging 9.4 threes per game. If you can't defend that shot better than that your going to lose a lot of games. .427 from the three equals 63 percent from the two. Just puts you in a big hole when your not shooting well in games. Gave up 30 from the three point line while we got 18 points from there. That is 12 points of their 14 point winning advantage. Their post player made 7 of 10 and she couldn't score a lick on Brink of Stanford shows how important elite post player is to a team. In our two losses we have given up 23 of 54 attempts from the three point line that is 69 points from long distance. Five games in I don't see us defending it any better and the question I need to ask these coaches of ours is why?

Definitely.
Team has exceptional talent.
Several Top 100 recruits. I’ve watched dozens of teams play this season and the offensive system ran by TN is not something even the less than decent teams would run.
Every quality opponent we face has an efficient offense that gets their players easy looks/baskets.
Every single point even from Rickea Jackson takes her working to get a basket.
Tennessee scores in spite of their offense not because of the system.
Without RJ we have a starters that would be backups on teams we are chasing. It was obvious yesterday playing a Top
25 team and it not being competitive.

I am an alpha coach. I cannot be a player's coach. Therefore I have to hire that type of person as my assistant. If you can't do something. Or are incapable of being a certain way? You have to hire that type ofperson.....Pat Summitt did that,,,. She was an absolute alpha and she hired holly, who was an absolute beta. You have to hire what you cannot be...
Thats why Geno has Chris Daily. She is actually just as demanding, but she has a way that the players can come to her where she will explain to them what he is saying to them without the sarcasm. She appeases them but won't let them off the hook.

VN Store

Back