Game Thread: (4/5) Lady Vols 61 - Auburn 71

I love KJH but just because you lead by ten in the first quarter you can’t start putting in four bench players. Especially ones who are not known for scoring. Do it too many times and you are eventually going to come up short. These ladies need a serious talking to. Horston looks like a bull in a China cabinet. Alburn is not playing they are hungry.

We struggle against teams that play like Auburn and we let them get in our heads.

I don't think we can outplay them by 11 pts in the second half unless they get tired, or go cold.

This will be a hard loss to swallow if we don't get our **** together. But Auburn has played a lot of teams more suited to beating them tough.

We just have to set some screens and get the ball inside.

We also have to stop letting them outrebound us on our end. We can't shoot worth crap and rely on second chance pts. We aren't getting any of those.
Need to run some offense and pass the ball instead of dribbling it .

They‘re much better than their record would suggest... and the absolute worst thing you want to do is give them hope. Right now they believe they can beat us and it shows. This is where things get slippery for us. Horston forces her shot when we’re trailing, TK getting physical and the refs are going to call a tiki tac foul to assert control of the game. We’re about to find out just how gritty we are.
Rae doing the same. Love Rae, but she falls down more than any player I’ve ever seen. We better get our act together!

Also, Auburn is on pace for their 2nd highest offensive output all year, and what would be their highest scoring output against a power 5 team all year if this holds… I predict it won’t hold with Key back in.

TN right on pace for the 61 points Auburn gives up per game. Auburn hasn’t won a single game all year when the opponent hits 68 points. We need to turn up the pressure defensively and make some shots.

I love KJH but just because you lead by ten in the first quarter you can’t start putting in four bench players. Especially ones who are not known for scoring. Do it too many times and you are eventually going to come up short. These ladies need a serious talking to. Horston looks like a bull in a China cabinet. Alburn is not playing they are hungry.
I posted something similar earlier. It has been a steep uphill battle after she put in 4 subs leading 17-7 .It just may result in losing this game.

Very poor defensive half--everybody slow to react, not blocking out, not picking up on screens--awful.
On offense, wow--guards had a bad half--too much dribbling, turnovers, too much 1v1 basketball. Overall, not enough movement. How does
Key score first 5 points for us and then not score again? We were close to a 10-point lead early in the game and then, after about the first 7 minutes,
completely fell apart. Team has turned it up in 2nd half in multiple games this year and will have do so again.

Need to run some offense and pass the ball instead of dribbling it .

We had a nice little thing going where Key was at the top breaking the pressure and getting to someone at the elbow who was open from the overplaying. Key is tall enough to where they couldn't pressure her so we were able to get behind the defense. But Key couldn't stay on the floor so not only our defense but our offense was dead in the water when she was out.

Let's see how we respond in the second half.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
We have to stop the ball handler at half court, we are not picking up the PG bringing up the ball. they take it right to the hole and draw a whistle and get it to the FT line. We are playing atypical terrible defense inside and out because of terrible on-ball defense.

We are disorganized on offense. Too many people trying to do what they want as individuals. We are playing one-on-one street ball.

It's as if this team has forgotten all of the coaching it has learned over time. Kellie has her work cut out to regain control of the team's efforts.

I posted something similar earlier. It has been a steep uphill battle after she put in 4 subs leading 17-7 .It just may result in losing this game.

Thats where injuries hurt us though. You can’t play your starting 5 for all 40 minutes. You have to sub in. What surprised me was the immediate sub in of Emily when Key picked up foul #1. The game changed immediately and by the time Key was back in, Auburn‘s confidence was sky high. They couldn’t miss at that point.

I hope to see y'all around 10:15 or so. I just turned our stress bomb of a game off completely, will go watch one after another videos about cute baby animals to get my mind off of the game ...

And then I'll go check the score at 10:10. IF we won I'll be back to be happy with everyone. If we lost, I'll skip the board tonight and watch more cute animal videos. I could watch those pajama-wearing baby goats jumping around on things and each other all day. 🤣

GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!

We have to stop the ball handler at half court, we are not picking up the PG bringing up the ball. they take it right to the hole and draw a whistle and get it to the FT line. We are playing atypical terrible defense inside and out because of terrible on-ball defense.

We are disorganized on offense. Too many people trying to do what they want as individuals. We are playing one-on-one street ball.

It's as if this team has forgotten all of the coaching it has learned over time. Kellie has her work cut out to regain control of the team's efforts.

They are pressing too hard on offense. Part of that is on Rae for trying to get to the goal no matter what. She has to let the game come to her because she is not going to beat these girls off the dribble.

Biggest thing is that they rushed their shots and just threw them at the goal. That has to stop.

Thats where injuries hurt us though. You can’t play your starting 5 for all 40 minutes. You have to sub in. What surprised me was the immediate sub in of Emily when Key picked up foul #1. The game changed immediately and by the time Key was back in, Auburn‘s confidence was sky high. They couldn’t miss at that point.

Absolutely. Very bad move to let them hang around and build confidence like that. Easier to put a fire out when it is an ember than once it is blazing.

Kellie should know not to do the platoon stuff in SEC play, even against Auburn and their 3 fans.

Hopefully TK doesn’t get an early foul and have to sit. I think our chances would be better to leave her in with the fouls even if it means she fouls out. Gotta get some momentum before we start pulling people

VN Store

Back