Game Thread: #5 Tennessee (19-11, 10-6 SEC) vs #1 South Carolina (30-0, 16-0 SEC) Saturday 3/9/24 ~4:30 pm ET (ESPNU)

Powell shot those free throws like they didn't matter and she was just trying to get them over with.
I have consistently preached that free throw shooting matters and always should be taken seriously. Just Wow. Feel bad for Powell. Still she should have knocked them down. Let's get ready for the NCAAT. GBO.

The worst part is this near miracle comeback gives her and her supporters ammo for why she should get more time
I think the strength of their play today reveals a team that had no business losing 9 other games (not including the ones to SC). They clearly underachieved. Yes, Kellie should be let go.

Having said that .... I am still proud of the effort. I haven't seen that kind of fight from the Lady Vols in a long time.

Powell was the worst player we could have had at the line to close this out. Shame.
What makes it worse is when the ball got in her hands she bent over as if to say foul me. If she took off dribbling or made one pass the game is over.

6'7 that doesn't score outside the paint and who's never hit a 3-pointer? Really?

Yes! A soft close-out at the very least.

You could’ve also had Tamari contest the inbounding passer to disrupt their vision, and brought in Jillian because she is a bit more mobile. So many things the coaches could’ve done there

Reactions: Raebo and Lurker
As the starting PG she should’ve made those free throws. Really nothing else to be said in my opinion. Our coaches coached their asses off today, probably the best I’ve seen since her tenure. They came out of half with adjustments that put us in a position to win. Powell dropped this one and I hate it for her because she’ll never forget it.

SC blew off the handshake line with our brokenhearted kids already lined up. SICKENING

Well what do you expect? Sorry but that’s exciting for them. Could have been us blowing them off. Instead we’re standing there like the ugly step sister at the ball waiting to shake hands so we can hide our faces and cry.

Pretty much a portrait of the Kellie Harper era to this point.

She was protecting the lob pass. No one thought Cordosa of all players would actually step back to take a three.
Possibly. But a lob pass to the rim, from out of bounds at half court, to your guarded teammate isn't easy. And that would have only tied the game.
Both Rickea and Key seemed to be playing a zone. Neither one was near an SC player.

Reactions: TJSVOLS
I think the strength of their play today, reveals a team that had no business losing 9 other games (not including the ones to SC). They clearly underachieved. Yes, Kellie should be let go.

Having said that .... I am still proud of the effort. I haven't seen that kind of fight from the Lady Vols in a long time.
They did underachieve I agree… but dang I hope they have a plan before taking that action unlike our football and basketball teams of the past. I’m a huge DW fan so I believe he has already been in casual contact to have a plan in place… but we’ll see.

VN Store

Back