Game Thread Lady Vols Softball in the Mary Nutter Classic

The SEC is a league where you can finish anywhere from first to 8th. You have to be ready to play every game. There are several teams that can win the title it will all be about timely hitting and pitching that is how even the SEC teams are. LSU has done well early so have we Auburn, Florida, Alabama, Georgia is a fine team. It is war and want be that long before the war begins.

The SEC is a league where you can finish anywhere from first to 8th. You have to be ready to play every game. There are several teams that can win the title it will all be about timely hitting and pitching that is how even the SEC teams are. LSU has done well early so have we Auburn, Florida, Alabama, Georgia is a fine team. It is war and want be that long before the war begins.

Unless you're A&M and get to avoid bama, LSU, Auburn, and Florida haha....Kentucky I think had that schedule also but it was kentucky and they finished 4th I believe

Probably didn't like her approach to the at bat as the lone senior on the team she has to be better....He could have brought her back in to bat in the huge spot were Scarlett popped out to the catcher but didn't...wanted to see her bring something and nothing sigh

Speaking of that pop out to the catcher... I was behind home plate and that was no easy catch. The ball was very high, the sun was bright, and the ball very slightly glanced off the backstop netting about 2 feet above her glove. She stumbled a bit and fell against the backstop but held on to the ball. I won't say it was a lucky catch but I was sure hoping she would miss it.

Wasn't the Texas pitcher who beat us yesterday a southpaw? With our heavy left-hand batting lineup, we are vulnerable to left-hand pitching, obviously. So I'm surprised that our coaches did not start Geer, Lockman AND McSwain yesterday. McSwain didn't start, and so we had, what, two-right hitters in the lineup--or is it three with McClain (I forget which we she hits now). Either way, it's not enough right-hand hitting, IMO. Ralph then takes out Geer and replaces her with McSwain. Better, I would think, to start both McSwain and Geer. In a close game, why wouldn't you want all your right-hand hitters with power in the lineup? Kind of a strange move by Ralph, IMO.

As someone said above, there are a a lot of good teams. The best ones will be those who can score runs against good pitching--because we'll see a lot of good pitching in the SEC and, of course, in the NCAA tourney. face: We beat OU and its good pitcher with only two runs, but that is surely the exception. I'd say, generally, we'll have to score /at least three runs/ against /good/ pitchers and good teams if we expect to win. Below three and your margin for error is tiny.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Wasn't the Texas pitcher who beat us yesterday a southpaw? With our heavy left-hand batting lineup, we are vulnerable to left-hand pitching, obviously. So I'm surprised that our coaches did not start Geer, Lockman AND McSwain yesterday. McSwain didn't start, and so we had, what, two-right hitters in the lineup--or is it three with McClain (I forget which we she hits now). Either way, it's not enough right-hand hitting, IMO. Ralph then takes out Geer and replaces her with McSwain. Better, I would think, to start both McSwain and Geer. In a close game, why wouldn't you want all your right-hand hitters with power in the lineup? Kind of a strange move by Ralph, IMO.

As someone said above, there are a a lot of good teams. The best ones will be those who can score runs against good pitching--because we'll see a lot of good pitching in the SEC and, of course, in the NCAA tourney. face: We beat OU and its good pitcher with only two runs, but that is surely the exception. I'd say, generally, we'll have to score /at least three runs/ against /good/ pitchers and good teams if we expect to win. Below three and your margin for error is tiny.

Ralph had said that the Texas pitcher had a record of 1 and 3. Jeff seemed to think she was someone we should be able to hit. Didn't happen but I like you think they try to build the team around slap hitters( making CJ bat lefty). I agree we need another or two right hand hitters regardless. I do know that the Utah gam which I kept up with on gametracker or something like it showed they started 8 righthand hitters against our right hand pitcher and as the game went on all 10 batters in their lineup hit righty. JMHO!:rock:

McSwain would play more if we knew which one we would get....so inconsistent both offense and defense

Yes the Texas pitcher was a lefty. If I were the coach I might have started Vines in left over Holcomb (who struggled) and DP'd McSwain. Instead it was Vines at DP.

Regardless, McSwain is running out of chances. She'll get a fair amount of PT backing up at catcher and in the field, but boy is her bat needed.

Yes the Texas pitcher was a lefty. If I were the coach I might have started Vines in left over Holcomb (who struggled) and DP'd McSwain. Instead it was Vines at DP.

Regardless, McSwain is running out of chances. She'll get a fair amount of PT backing up at catcher and in the field, but boy is her bat needed.

Yep agreed! Hopefully She will hear her number called this weekend

McSwain had a pretty decent start to the season--was batting over 300 for a bit, I believe. Has 2 homers--which is as many as Vol has. But Lockman got her bat going a bit, and being the better catcher as got more of the playing time. When you're not playing you're hitting often will fall off as you're not getting live looks at good pitching; you're not in a groove. Now, of course anybody just has to take advantage of their opportunities. She's hitting .280--not good but not terrible either. I certainly would start her AND Geer and Lockman--all three--against any lefties we face. I think you have to. Ralph apparently disagrees--but we've been losing to lefty pitchers because we can't hit them very well with all our left-hand hitters. We really haven't shown much power this year--what did we have in 5 games in Palm Springs--1 home run?

Geer, right now, is hitting .389--tops her career average. Her OBP is higher than its ever been. And Ralph pulls her after one at bat in a close game against texas and a left-hand pitcher? Doesn't make any sense to me. Ralph and Karen have been extremely successful here--but some of his decisions seem pretty damn knee-jerk. Geer is the second best hitter on the team.

Ralph had said that the Texas pitcher had a record of 1 and 3. Jeff seemed to think she was someone we should be able to hit. Didn't happen but I like you think they try to build the team around slap hitters( making CJ bat lefty). I agree we need another or two right hand hitters regardless. I do know that the Utah gam which I kept up with on gametracker or something like it showed they started 8 righthand hitters against our right hand pitcher and as the game went on all 10 batters in their lineup hit righty. JMHO!:rock:

are far more accustomed to facing right-hand pitchers than left-hand hitters are to facing left-hand pitchers. THAT's the problem. There aren't many lefty pitchers. If left-hand hitters saw as many left pitchers as right-hand hitters see right-hand pitchers, then our heavy left-hand hitting lineup wouldn't be a problem. But they don't...and we do.

VN Store

Back