Game Thread Lady Vols Softball in the Troy Cox Classic

to be questioning Ralph a lot, but he's funny/unusual in some ways, and this is another example. I've never heard of a coach talking like this to hitters. Talking a little, giving general encouragement, general observations ("you're out in front," "you're too anxious," "get on top of the ball," etc.)---but telling the hitter where to hit the ball, or telling the hitter to "swing!" ?? I mean, he doesn't know where the pitches are going to be thrown; you can't hit an inside pitch between the first and second baseman (unless you've got a real inside-out swing). I would find it distracting--but our team obviously doesn't as they've been piling up the hits and runs. Ralph's a softball zen master.

Clint Myers at Auburn tries to see how the pitcher is holding the ball during the split second he can see it during the wind-up and calls that out to his batter. It only works with a pitcher that doesn't hold the ball in her glove.

I watched the game, Jeff...paid the 6.95 for 24 hour viewing. I wanted to see the gals and how they looked offensively and defensively. Brother, NMSU was terrible in the field! Their center fielder did make a nice running catch, as you probably recall. I was impressed with Arnold...lots of potential! Rowland looked confidant at the plate, like her bat a lot. There weren't many well hit balls by the LV'S but the NMSU pitchers were all over the place with pitches...probably had a lot to do with it. This team has tons of talent...enjoyed watching for the first time this season.

It wasn't their sharpest game. Several base running errors coupled with a couple of fielding miscues bothered me.

Arnold and Moss too often pitch from behind, I'd like to see that reversed.

Bearden to pinch hit. Long deep fly to right is caught for the 2nd out.

When I watched Bearden step in as a pinch hitter in Statesboro, she looked like she could hit that 12" yellow ball a country mile! Her stature is intimidating. What's the forecast on her and the role she'll play?

When I watched Bearden step in as a pinch hitter in Statesboro, she looked like she could hit that 12" yellow ball a country mile! Her stature is intimidating. What's the forecast on her and the role she'll play?

She'll get limited playing time as either a pinch hitter or maybe an occasional DP.

VN Store

Back