Game Thread Lady Vols vs South Carolina

The only point I was trying to make was that two hands is not always the best rebounding technique, see Rodman & Barkley on youtube for proof. Often two hands is best if you have great position, but if you don't, sometimes you have to tip it to your advantage or tip it just to keep it alive. It's all situational.

On paper she looked like a steal. She broke Griner’s shot blocking record. I wonder if it is more of a development of raw talent issue than a bad player issue. Recently we have had a problem with players being developed to their fullest potential. I see a lot more potential in Russell than we see on the floor. Most of it is consistency, aggressiveness, toughness and using her talents on both ends of the court for 4 quarters.

In the second half of yesterday’s game Russell showed that if she chooses to command the boards, she can. I still think it is a coaching issue. Even with the best talent in the country, there are some things you have to demand. It takes a strong coach to manage talent and to get the best out of your players. No matter how much you might want to roll with Holly, she has to get tougher, or next year we might have one the most talented teams in the country that is not performing up to their ability and talent.

To be clear: she broke the record for blocks for a single game, not for a career. She may be a good defensive player, but I think the staff has little confidence in her offense.

VN Store

Back