Game Thread: Tennessee (15-9, 8-4 SEC) @ Vanderbilt (19-7, 6-6 SEC) 2/18/24 2:00 pm EST SEC Network

Doesn't hard screen bc she's afraid she'll get a foul. Sara screens for her sometimes. TK also seals the lane for her really well sometimes when she's driving.

Rj was directing traffic alot yesterday, telling them where to throw the ball next. Did a pretty good job lol, we had 15 assists.
The way the game started with Rickea having some nice assists, I thought she might be on for a triple double.

Jillian's stat line did not reflect how well she played. It was her best game in a while. Hopefully, she has turned the corner as well.

The way the game started with Rickea having some nice assists, I thought she might be on for a triple double.

Jillian's stat line did not reflect how well she played. It was her best game in a while. Hopefully, she has turned the corner as well.
My God, could it all be coming together?

Nah, probably not.

I think Rickea can still be an AA and remember they play different positions, when u look at the Sf position I can’t see anyone beating her out of it, Morrow is probably the only other player with a chance.
From you're lips to God's ears. But Morrow does have 15 double doubles. Of course many against Sisters of Poor and Needy.

From you're lips to God's ears. But Morrow does have 15 double doubles. Of course many against Sisters of Poor and Needy.
Also they don’t differentiate between SF and PF. Two guards, 2 forwards and 1 center. Morrow would be competing with Rickea for one of those spots along with Reese, Pili, Edwards, Brink, Irifian, Holmes, McMahon, and probably others I’m forgetting. All with better stats and on better teams.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Boy Aggies have no shooters at all we must have been asleep in that game or they hit their 3's rough looking offensive team. On our Court that should be no brainer W. I see why Vandy just won there. In CHRIST Alone

Reactions: krichunaka
VANDERBILT WOMEN’S BASKETBALL
Loss to Tennessee has team seeking rebound

Aria Gerson

Nashville Tennessean USA TODAY NETWORK – TENNESSEE

Vanderbilt women’s basketball suffered its worst loss in SEC play this season with an 86-61 loss to Tennessee on Sunday at Memorial Gymnasium.

The Commodores have played South Carolina and LSU, two national contenders. Neither of those losses were by as large of a margin as this one.

Nothing really went right for Vanderbilt (19-8, 6-7 SEC). Early defensive breakdowns led to five first-quarter threes for Tennessee (16-9, 9-4) and a 15-point deficit. The Commodores’ starters got in foul trouble and Vanderbilt got little production from its bench. Lady Vols star Rickea Jackson scored 24 points. The Commodores allowed nine 3-pointers and got out-rebounded, 43-36.

Vanderbilt coach Shea Ralph noted that sometimes, there are games where everything just goes wrong. But she also felt her team executed poorly on both offense and defense. Now, with the Commodores on the NCAA Tournament bubble and likely needing at least two more wins to play in March Madness, Ralph knows it will be about how the Commodores respond.

“I don’t think that a team’s value or your greatness as an individual player lies in wins and losses,” Ralph said. “I really don’t feel that way. I feel like your greatness as a team and a player resides in how you deal when you’re winning, and then how you deal when you’re losing and you don’t play great.”

Vanderbilt, seeking its first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2014, is projected as a “last four in” or “first four out” team by most bracket projections. A .500 conference record in the SEC is usually enough to make it in, but without an ideal NET ranking at No. 57 as of Sunday morning, it will have to sweat out the selection show.

The Commodores had a five-game losing streak earlier in the season that began with their loss to Tennessee in Knoxville. Three of those five losses came at home. But Vanderbilt pulled out of the tailspin by winning back-to-back road games against Georgia and Texas A& M.

Now, it will be vital for the Commodores to do something similar. They don’t have a midweek game this week, instead having additional time off before heading to Arkansas next Sunday, then a road game at Missouri and finishing at home against Georgia.

“We found out, I think, a lot of things about ourselves today in particular because it was just so crappy from start to finish for us,” Ralph said. “ ... I’m looking forward to getting the time with our team, number one to get healthy. But number two to take a really good look at, hey, where are the places we need to get better? What are the things we can do better individually? What did you learn about yourself and our team in this last day. We have a whole week now, which is huge because these next three games, these are really important games for our team and our program.”

Aria Gerson covers Vanderbilt athletics for The Tennessean. Contact her at agerson@gannett.com or on Twitter @aria_ gerson .

Last edited:
VANDERBILT WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Loss to Tennessee has team seeking rebound

Aria Gerson

Nashville Tennessean USA TODAY NETWORK – TENNESSEE

Vanderbilt women’s basketball suffered its worst loss in SEC play this season with an 86-61 loss to Tennessee on Sunday at Memorial Gymnasium.

The Commodores have played South Carolina and LSU, two national contenders. Neither of those losses were by as large of a margin as this one.

Nothing really went right for Vanderbilt (19-8, 6-7 SEC). Early defensive breakdowns led to five first-quarter threes for Tennessee (16-9, 9-4) and a 15-point deficit. The Commodores’ starters got in foul trouble and Vanderbilt got little production from its bench. Lady Vols star Rickea Jackson scored 24 points. The Commodores allowed nine 3-pointers and got out-rebounded, 43-36.

Vanderbilt coach Shea Ralph noted that sometimes, there are games where everything just goes wrong. But she also felt her team executed poorly on both offense and defense. Now, with the Commodores on the NCAA Tournament bubble and likely needing at least two more wins to play in March Madness, Ralph knows it will be about how the Commodores respond.

“I don’t think that a team’s value or your greatness as an individual player lies in wins and losses,” Ralph said. “I really don’t feel that way. I feel like your

greatness as a team and a player resides in how you deal when you’re winning, and then how you deal when you’re losing and you don’t play great.”

Vanderbilt, seeking its first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2014, is projected as a “last four in” or “first four out” team by most bracket projections. A .500 conference record in the SEC is usually enough to make it in, but without an ideal NET ranking at No. 57 as of Sunday morning, it will have to sweat out the selection show.

The Commodores had a five-game losing streak earlier in the season that began with their loss to Tennessee in Knoxville. Three of those five losses came at home. But Vanderbilt pulled out of the tailspin by winning back-to-back road games against Georgia and Texas A& M.

Now, it will be vital for the Commodores to do something similar. They don’t have a midweek game this week, instead having additional time off before heading to Arkansas next Sunday, then a road game at Missouri and finishing at home against Georgia.

“We found out, I think, a lot of things about ourselves today in particular because it was just so crappy from start to finish for us,” Ralph said. “ ... I’m looking forward to getting the time with our team, number one to get healthy. But number two to take a really good look at, hey, where are the places we need to get better? What are the things we can do better individually? What did you learn about yourself and our team in this last day. We have a whole week now, which is huge because these next three games, these are really important games for our team and our program.”

Aria Gerson covers Vanderbilt athletics for The Tennessean. Contact her at agerson@gannett.com or on Twitter @aria_ gerson .
I don’t think Vandy makes it… also gotta be wary of bid stealers.. there are at least 4 I can think of that need to win their conference championship… or a bid will be stolen**

PRINCETON
GONZAGA
GREEN BAY
ST JOES

Bubble Bid stealers
UNLV
MTSU
DRAKE
RICHMOND
FGCU
FAIRFIELD

Last edited:
One thing we know is that there is zero correlation between AA awards and WNBA draft. You could be a great college player, but have a game that doesn't translate well to the pros (Megan Gustaffson comes to mind)
I always liked Megan in college. She would get the ball in the post and bang the shot was up and usually made.

I don’t think Vandy makes it… also gotta be wary of bid stealers.. there are at least 4 I can think of that need to win their conference championship

PRINCETON
GONZAGA
GREEN BAY
ST JOES

Bubble Bid stealers
UNLV
MTSU
DRAKE
RICHMOND
FGCU
FAIRFIELD
Gonzaga is in even if they don’t win their conf tourney, prob Princeton as well.

Gonzaga is in even if they don’t win their conf tourney, prob Princeton as well.
That’s the whole point of my post… rn if those four I listed don’t win their tournaments there will be a bid stolen more than likely

The bubble bid stealers are the ones really close to an at large

Last edited:

VN Store

Back