Georgia = Biggest threat going forward

Bryant died in 1975. Dooley retired in 1988, won the NC in 1980. Dooley beat Bryant in Athens on my first day as a student.

Bryant died in 1983. Dooley won three consecutive SEC titles 80-82 because he had Herschel who, in my opinion, is the real GOAT.

Reactions: lynnh
Georgia has been good the past few years but their future is incredibly bright. Not only is it arguably the easiest recruiting hotbed with all the talent coming out of that state, but I believe Kirby smart is going to bring them a natty in the next few years. It takes an idiot as a coach to not be dominant at UGA. With all the talent at your fingertips there is absolutely no excuse to not be in the playoffs every year. I am making a bold prediction that they beat Bama this year and it will ignite the slow demise of Alabama as top dog in the SEC.

In my opinion, bama has had undeserved wins against UGA. I think Georgia dominated every game against Saban the past two years even if the scoreboard showed otherwise.

You may be thinking of the game of the infamous failed fake punt that Smart called that lost them the game... I don’t believe Smart made that call, neither do many UGA fans. It was an on the field call that Justin Fields made at the line despite what Kirby wanted from the sideline before the snap.

Fromm had clearly won the starting position and it was no secret that Fields was unhappy with his starting time and wasn’t going to win the position over Fromm. He took his chance and screwed up and Smart took the fall for the team. Fields was gone not long after. I’ve had a few Georgia fans in the know tell me that’s what happened.

Seems far fetched but the more I think about it, it makes sense. Who is more likely to make that stupid of a decision with a fake punt from the middle of the field, Smart or Fields?

Smart is still coming into his own and I don’t doubt Georgia will be over Bama and Clemson within two years.

I think the play was called by Coach Kirby "NOT" Smart, he said "we were going snap ball quick it took too long to snap it had a man open they recognized before
the snap got man on him"......................

Yes, they would have.

95 would have qualified for a playoff. They just would have had to have beaten Florida and Nebraska.

96 and 97 would have qualified too

But, I don’t think they win for reasons mentioned

Yes. TN would have made the top 4 in multiple seasons but would likely not have won it all based on how strong the top team was. I would add 1993 as well. What about 1985? I think we were in the top 4 and beat the so called best team. Sorry. Going back too much trying to make myself feel better.

I give respect where it is due. Bama and Georgia are good... flat out. I like and respect strength. I don’t hate Saban, I respect him. It’s why, although being from Atlanta, watching Tom Brady come back against the Falcons in the Super Bowl was a thing of beauty. Everyone and their mother attributed Brady’s wins to deflated footballs which is just stupid. Watching him miss six games, return, make it to the Super Bowl, and pull off one of the greatest Super Bowl comebacks in history made me smile. (I’m also not really a Falcon’s fan).

But I also love an underdog story and Bama is soon to be dethroned in the SEC. I despise Florida because I don’t see them as truly strong, they have had too many undeserved wins against us and that’s what I hate... Florida.

My Vols are not there yet but I will forever bleed orange. I call it as I see it. I’ve been in the glory days and in the pits. We will be back, and it’s coming soon.

Brady is a cheater.

Reactions: 1vol8
TN was in the mix just 3 seasons ago for the SEC. That's all you can ask for really. If Butch can do it, then I have a lot of faith JP can do it too. There's a lot of underlying buzz in our program and its different from Butch's buzz 4-5 yrs ago. This buzz is based off the merit of our staff and the collection of talent JP has brought to TN. All we have to do is win and it'll start rolling.

UGA is UGA until they do something with what they always have....Championship egos with under utilized talent from peeked coaching.

I dunno. I kinda have paid attention to Kirby and I feel like he has a hard time keeping his players focused. Between the sugar bowl issue the night before the game with guys out partying, then you have the spring practice arrests with guys getting arrested for drugs on the way to practice...it seems that it doesn’t matter how big or small the show is, the players are complacent. Lots of guys doing their own thing.

But then again, they have like 3 deep top tier talent at almost every position lolol, so, maybe they can slide by on talent alone.

Well, 1997, 1999, and 2001 aren’t arguable.

Tennessee finished outside the top 4 in the final poll before bowl games in 1999 and 2001.

Tennessee played Nebraska in 1997.

And if you thought 1997 and 1999 nebraska were good, you didn’t have to deal with 1995 Nebraska.

So, yeah, I’ll stick with my statement
I can see why. But, remember, football is a game of match ups. UT would've matched up better against Nebreaska, in 95', because we were a balanced physical offense. Maybe the best complete o-line we've ever had. Keep Tommy and his convict RB's on the bench, and they don't score. UF came out throwing all over the place, and built a lead, early. But, turned the ball over way too much, and The Huskers just wore them down. Like they did to us in 97'. Of course, Peyton was playing wounded, and constantly opted to dump the ball short, to avoid the pressure. Which was mostly in his head. Turnovers and not a heavy enough dose of Jamal, led to the defense getting tired, and making mistakes, just lining up, correctly, against Nebraska's option. But, kudos to The Huskers. They just lined up and kicked our asses in the 2nd half.

VN Store

Back