Gilliam update

I don't think he had surgery. In fact, I'd say it's impossible he had surgery. He may be trying to build it back up with therapy, then ACL brace it up to try to play a few downs before getting it fixed. His future isn't in football, so why not. I've known people that have done that before.

This is what I was thinking too, Sparty. After both of my ACL surgeries my muscle atrophy was enormous because of the block they do. I don't see how he could be running already if he had surgery.

Speaking from experience of someone who has torn his ACL. To reach your goals you need to not only be the coaching cliche of being the first to and last to leave. But also whatever therapy is prescribed for you for at home do more than the average expected. Physical therapist love the results for pushing yourself as long as you are doing the exercises that your particular orthopaedic surgeons protocol calls for. So in essence for what I'm saying is put in work Mr. Gilliam and the rest will work itself out. The trainers over on the hill will put you in every possible scenario to succeed if you strive to exceed.

As a Physical Therapist, I thank you for saying this. :hi: We get too many non-compliant patients that get upset or angry when their outcomes aren't what they expected, but then fail to realize that they didn't put in the work needed to achieve their goals.

If I remember correctly, didn't we have a LB that played an entire season on a torn Acl a while back...johnny Mitchell?
Marvin Mitchell iirc or was it Jason Mitchell? I can't remember but I do remember we had one play all season with a torn ACL. It's very rare that this could happen however.

Last edited:
Man, I love to see a kid achieve his dreams through hard work and determination. He's not got any quit in him. This is a lesson a lot of us could prosper from, and hopefully his teammates are taking notice.

JG makes me proud to call myself a Tennessean and a VOL!

He should ask Jones to petition the NCAA for a medical hardship year. Even if he's ready to come back in a few weeks, best case, what would be the point? UT will be past the heart of the schedule. Why rush back, and risk further injury perhaps, just to play, in say, the last three games?

I wish he could make it back but it's just not realistic to expect someone to recover from ACL surgery in 3-4 months. AP is kind of the holy grail of ACL recovery and it took him 6 months to get back to practice. Only way this happens is if it isn't a full tear and they strengthen everything around it and use a massive brace.

It's been done before. NFL Hall of Famer Rod Woodson was the first player to return to the NFL in the same season after having reconstructive ACL surgery:

In 1995, Woodson became the first player to return from reconstructive knee surgery in the same season. He tore his ACL against the Detroit Lions trying to tackle Barry Sanders in the first game and returned to play in Super Bowl XXX between the Steelers and the Dallas Cowboys 19 weeks later. In that game, he broke up a pass intended for Michael Irvin, hopped up and pointed at his reconstructed knee.

Has he had surgery? There is no way he would play this season if he had surgery.
If he plays on a fully torn ACL then good for him. Personally I don't see it.

If he didn't have surgery he could play but put a tough as nails sticker on him. I don't have 3 ligaments in either of my knees and didn't have surgery still do some really insane physical things but the pain can get excruciating. It also took me months of slow building at a level most are unwilling to do to get to that point.

Has he had surgery? There is no way he would play this season if he had surgery.
If he plays on a fully torn ACL then good for him. Personally I don't see it.

It's possible to play less than 5 months after reconstructive ACL surgery, but it's also possible to play without an ACL - especially if you have large quad muscles that can compensate for any instability in the knee itself. Dajuan Blair, a 6'6" 270 lb basketball player who used to play for the San Antonio Spurs, doesn't have functional ACLs in either of his knees but hasn't missed any games due to injury, because his legs are like tree trunks.

NBA: Against All Odds, The Story of San Antonio Spurs Center DeJuan Blair | Bleacher Report

Why would he not qualify for a medical redshirt?

I don't think they've applied for one but it would likely get denied. Usually, to get a medical redshirt (i.e. a sixth year) you have to have missed two seasons to injury. If you redshirt once just because the team doesn't need you then they usually won't grant a medical redshirt when you miss a second year due to injury. If you redshirt the first time due to injury they're more likely to grant a medical redshirt when you miss a second year to injury.

Marvin Mitchell iirc or was it Jason Mitchell? I can't remember but I do remember we had one play all season with a torn ACL. It's very rare that this could happen however.

It was Jason in '05...And I still don't how that was physically possible. It didn't hinder his play either.

I didn't have my acl repaired til about 6 months after I tore it. I was in very good shape at the time of the tear, and continued to train hard after the tear with rehab. I could see in some cases being able to get back if te tear was not a full tear. I want skiing several times with mine on a complete tear, and honestly was not going to have the repair done, but it started slipping on me causing more meniscus damage.
I was leg pressing over 700 and squating over 400 with a strong knee brace just prior to my acl surgery too.
I tore mine at 15. I'm 31 and have never had it repaired. Dr said my lateral movement would be jeopardized but I'm not an NBA player so it's really worked out great.

As a Physical Therapist, I thank you for saying this. :hi: We get too many non-compliant patients that get upset or angry when their outcomes aren't what they expected, but then fail to realize that they didn't put in the work needed to achieve their goals.

I saw first hand this play out. I saw much better results after taking seriously and comparing to younger patients that just assumed their youth would magically regrow their muscles while they were on dates and such. Lol

It's possible to play less than 5 months after reconstructive ACL surgery, but it's also possible to play without an ACL - especially if you have large quad muscles that can compensate for any instability in the knee itself. Dajuan Blair, a 6'6" 270 lb basketball player who used to play for the San Antonio Spurs, doesn't have functional ACLs in either of his knees but hasn't missed any games due to injury, because his legs are like tree trunks.

NBA: Against All Odds, The Story of San Antonio Spurs Center DeJuan Blair | Bleacher Report

Besides BLAIR Hines Ward I believe was drafted with only 1 ACL. that's incredible for a skill position player that cuts as much as that guy did.

He didn't get it repaired. He would be done if he had.

It's likely that the worst of the pain and inflammation from the injury has subsided and he's willing to play through the pain. I don't even know if it was a complete tear. Either way there is a risk for further injury- either to the remaining ACL if there is any, or to the rest of the knee complex.

Regardless, this is a heck of a Volunteer we are talking about.

Was there not an Alabama quarterback who played on a torn ACL a few years back? He had a knee brace, but postponed the surgery until the end of the season. Cannot remember his name just now. I tore my ACL and had 3 meniscal tears, including a bucket handle tear and Baker's cyst. I opted not to have surgery- but I am not an athlete. I took therapy for 3 weeks and concentrated on strength training. I am able to run on it without pain- never have pain actually unless I turn the tension really high on the eliptical trainer. I do hope to return to playing tennis, and it is the quick lateral movement that would cause a problem. Sounds like he is diligently doing his therapy- and perhaps a brace would make a difference. It is not like he is a running back, defensive back or wide receiver, that requires speedy changes of direction. Once that ligament is torn you can't hurt it any further.He has worked so hard, you just feel for him.

Austyn Carta-Samuels at Vandy played three games with a torn ACL last season.

I didn't have my acl repaired til about 6 months after I tore it. I was in very good shape at the time of the tear, and continued to train hard after the tear with rehab. I could see in some cases being able to get back if te tear was not a full tear. I want skiing several times with mine on a complete tear, and honestly was not going to have the repair done, but it started slipping on me causing more meniscus damage.
I was leg pressing over 700 and squating over 400 with a strong knee brace just prior to my acl surgery too.
:lolabove:Whoa! Whatta' manly dude! Training hard. Must be a hechuva jock. Ya ski a lot. 'Bet the chicks love ya', rich guy! Leg pressing 700 and squatting 400? I'm guessing that's ounces and not pounds. I might've called it humble bragging, too, but judging by the eagerness to fit it all into a near-anonymous post, I'm sure its simply pathological embellishment. Funny guy. Jeeeeesh:crazy:!

VN Store

Back