Giving credit where it’s due.

Think of yourself as one of the backups. You see JGs passes in practice and you notice at the end of every day that you missed a few as well as he did. You see him throw ints in practice. You may have thrown one too. Meanwhile your head coach is blasting you both on national media for being inconsistent and throwing ints. Then comes game day and you watch as JG makes a habit of throwing bad balls, ints, poor decisions and a lack of fire. To the world you’re already known as less of a qb due to your HC throwing you under the bus for the exact same things we all watch on Saturdays out of JG. What would that do to your confidence?
The media reports say this isn't happening. The backups simply aren't close to where they need to be to challenge for game snaps

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Consider this....after spring ball and all summer and all fall camp the COACHES and TEAM along with JG came out unprepared.....figure that one out and every game the Vols lose that reality is going to look worse and worse on the coaches....

Are you saying Pruitt and his cronies are stealing from UT, or the players, or everyone?
Thieves

I didn’t understand bringing that guy in whose not eligible to
Play THIS year.

Yes would have helped having a veteran guy transfer that was eligible this year. Really unfortunate to not be in a position to do this. Sucks even more that there is not another QB currently developed that can really push JG to get where he needs to be.

Reactions: Vfl2407
Their eyes?
With 7 on 7 leagues that most of the elite players are involved in, a kid comes in more ready to play than he might have 20 years ago. Like what Saban said yesterday when a big deal was made about USCe having to start a true freshman QB (who made some mistakes but played well, +300 yds. 2 TDs, 1 INT): "We have 4 freshmen starting on our defense." Is what it is these days. If a kid is good enough to start, and some are, said kid isn't going to wait around two years to get a chance to play. It's into the transfer portal and greener pastures.

Kentucky is also playing their back up QB and he played well vs UF
He played well early. Someone said he hurt his throwing wrist during the game, but he threw some horrific wounded ducks in the closing minutes that cost them the game. But Fla's backup was as steady as them come when he entered the game and finished. The game completely reversed after Felipe Franks had to leave due to injury.

I really don’t like Either of them.
But Mullen and Muschamp had very good backup QBs ready when needed.
I wish we had settled on a backup in early August and given them more reps.

And Stoops at Kentucky.

As far as Mullen goes, you could ask why he didn't play Trask earlier, especially after Miami game.

I had mentioned after Spring Game that I hoped Bentley wouldn't get replaced with Hilinski before our game because he has more upside. He has more fire in his belly too.

And Stoops at Kentucky.

As far as Mullen goes, you could ask why he didn't play Trask earlier, especially after Miami game.

I had mentioned after Spring Game that I hoped Bentley wouldn't get replaced with Hilinski before our game because he has more upside. He has more fire in his belly too.
I’m not crediting them so much for WHEN they played them as I am for them having two quality SEC caliber QBs coming out of fall practice that were well trained and ready to play. My team did not do so.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

Now they need to cross their fingers that they don't have to go to the 3rd string QBs or worse. It happens sometimes.

One or two years ago bama lost like 4 LBs in their first game of season - their depth had it covered but most everyone else in NCAA would have been screwed.

You mean good coaches prepped their teams? What a concept.

Well, he is a junior. I'd expect him to be at least functional. Same for the UF backup. He's a RS junior. Believe Mullen commented how fortunate they were that a qb like Trask didn't transfer out when Franks won the job. Where are the guys who came in after JG? Where are Dormady and McBride? Yep...transferred out. Leaving us with two very young backups.

I will say that Pruitt made a big mistake in not getting a grad transfer who could help immediately. Hindsight as they say...

Pruitt was boxed in IMO.

(1) We had Adrian Martinez and Michael Penix, but both decided to decommit when Butch was fired / obvious he was going to be fired,
(2) We had Keller Chryst last season but only one year,
(3) Veteran QBs typically don't want to come in with an obvious starter; which is what people thought JG was prior to this season

As easy as it is to blame Pruitt, I don't know that he could've done anything differently. Shrout was sort of a backup option after Martinez left for Nebraska. Maurer was a really good pick-up but developmentally, just not ready yet.

Next season, we almost have the opposite dilemma, as both Shrout and Maurer will have a year more experience, and we add Harrison Bailey and Kasim Hill. So we're completely loaded at backup QB in 2020. Really wish we could use Hill this year, though.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
Now they need to cross their fingers that they don't have to go to the 3rd string QBs or worse. It happens sometimes.

One or two years ago bama lost like 4 LBs in their first game of season - their depth had it covered but most everyone else in NCAA would have been screwed.

That same year UT lost 19 one time starters. Set a NCAA record then the next year it was 21 one time starters , broke that record.. We did not have the 5 stars stashed like Saban.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo

VN Store

Back