Going to be a tough season

Now it's your time to make your dad proud and instill the same values in your son that your dad did in you. Go Vols and welcome to your new VFL.

Reactions: 2 people
I`m so sorry for your lost. Sunday night my son is coming over. He was reared on Vols football.
He will be a dad in December. My daughter-in-law told me the other day that each night before they go to sleep he puts his phone near her belly and plays Rocky Top for the baby.
That's him in my avi with CBJ @ the 2013 signing day party in Memphis.

Your Dad would want you to enjoy these moments.. these games.... he would want you be happy. Losing anyone close is a hard thing, no words can make it better. Dad will be Dad no matter what the situation is.. and Dad was a fighter... so he would get pissed if you groped... as hard as it is.... laugh out loud and holler I love ya Dad and Go Vols!

I am sorry for your loss.

Reactions: 2 people
Wow. Geez bud, I barely got through that post.
What can be said was said. :clap::victory:
GO VOLS!

Man, I was kinda just typing this to get it off my chest. I am glad it touched some of you. Call or text your fathers/sons! Tell them you love them. My last conversation with dad was excitement over the chance for Peyton to win another Super Bowl. However, the day before the big game, we laid Dad in the ground. When Peyton lost, I didn't even care. Tell people how you feel. We're not promised our next breath, so don't take it for granted.

Reactions: 3 people
I can only hope I have a son that says the same one day. Sorry for your loss. VolNation is behind you and proud of your perseverance. God bless you buddy! GBO!

I have mixed feelings leading into this season. On one hand, Vols football is returning. Normally today would be my "Christmas Eve". However, my dad, 3rdDownPunt, the man who introduced me to the love of the Vols, passed away in January. We always filled the house with snacks, put the couch right in front of the TV, wore our orange shirts/jerseys, and turned the TV down so we could listen to John Ward.

When I moved away 10 years ago, we still stayed in touch. Calling each other during the games, and talking about what is happening. He was 100% on the Butch Jones bandwagon, and I'm pretty sure Jalen Hurd was Dad's all-time favorite Vol without ever playing a down.

I'm sure it's going to be difficult to watch the games this year. I'm sure it will bring back the emotions I've felt from time to time since January 29th when I got that unexpected call that my own personal Superman had a heart attack and passed away.

There are some things that I learned from my dad that I wish the current Vols will pick up in his passing. No matter what sickness or pain dad was feeling, he got his butt up and took himself to work. 33 years he worked in that factory. I hope the current Vols will BRING IT every day like Dad did. I hope that, when they face adversity, the take their butts to work anyways. I learned from Dad that there is definitely another level that you can push your body to when your mind is telling you otherwise. It was how he was able at 45 years old to hold me, a 21 year old college caliber athlete at the time, to a hard fought 36-34 game of hoops (the first time in my life I had ever beat him) He hated to lose, and he would pull out this magical next gear. I hope the current Vols are able to look within and find a supernatural extra level of performance. I hope they know that there was a guy who looked to the Vols as a weekend escape from the stress of blue-collar life.

I hope they know that all of us are behind them. It will be a difficult season for me, but not watching is not an option. Dad just wouldn't allow it. He only ever missed the Vols to watch my jr pro games.

I started typing this, and I felt down. I was sad thinking about watching the Vols run through the T and not being on the phone with my Dad. Now, after all these memories come flooding back to me...as I think about the excitement....as I look at my 3 year old son, who is named after my dad and looks just like my dad's childhood photos.....he'll be, for the first time, really able to watch the game with me and somewhat understand.....I'm not down...and the rest of the SEC better watch out, because the Vols aren't down anymore either!!!! I'm buying my snacks, getting ready to move the couch tomorrow night, already laid out our Orange....Go knock some heads off and surprise some folks, Vols! There is a guy up in Heaven wearing a Reggie White jersey who will be cheering like crazy!!!

I feel ya man. I lost my dad 4 years ago and like you, so much of my enjoyment being a Vols fan was how much my Dad and I bonded over the years, talking about the Vols and watching them together. Now that he's gone, being a Vols fan isn't quite as enjoyable as it used to be. The fact that the Vols have been so terrible as of late doesn't help either. My son is 3 years old. I hope he and I will share that same kind of bond that my dad and I did.

Saying a prayer for you bud. Will definitely be thinking about you and your father right around kickoff. Let him feel the emotions through you :)

Have a good weekend man!

Man, I was kinda just typing this to get it off my chest. I am glad it touched some of you. Call or text your fathers/sons! Tell them you love them. My last conversation with dad was excitement over the chance for Peyton to win another Super Bowl. However, the day before the big game, we laid Dad in the ground. When Peyton lost, I didn't even care. Tell people how you feel. We're not promised our next breath, so don't take it for granted.

Glad you did. I haven't said much about what happened to my Dad. He took me to my first UT game in 1977 and he drowned will fishing in 2006. When he died it seems like Tennessee Football died also. I have been waiting so long for Tennessee Football to get back to Tennessee Football. This year is the beginning....the rebirth of what my Dad and I once had and celebrated together. I have missed him and this feeling so long. I was beginning to think it would never happen, but finally it is here and so is he ready for TENNESSEE to be TENNESSEE. GO VOLS! God Bless You for posting.

Welcome to VolNation :hi: Post often!

Thank you. I have been reading for years and have been a Vol fan for 50+ years. I appreciate the sentiments of the OP and recognize the importance of family. Despite our differences, VN is a family and the common denominator is our passion for the Vols.

Butch will have the team ready, and your dad will smile in heaven as we sing Rocky Top all night long! Thank you for posting, really tugged at the heart strings.

Wow! What an incredible blessing to have a father who was actually interested in the same things you were and made a point to enjoy them with you. He left a wonderful legacy for you as you raise your children. Always mention him often to your children and tell them about the love you had for him. Oh yeah and tell them early and often how much you love them. Give thanks....for you were truly blessed !!!!

Wow. Great thread man. I thought it was going to be another we SUCK bla bla bla. But no. I'd say be happy you had your father to share those memories with. My father is a good guy... He just never was really too into his kids. I'd kill to have been my fathers pride and joy. We didn't have the bond you and your father shared. I was bitter early in adulthood. But I'm not now. I have a 6 year old son (check my avi) and he'll have to beat me away from him to prevent us from having the relationship I wanted with my father. My son will benefit from what I didn't have.

I hope you watch the game tomorrow (and every other future gane) with pride. Knowing someone else is watching with you and maybe one day many years from now your son will start a similar thread

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
In case I don't get another chance to tell you all. You guys are awesome. That's the great thing about our big orange family. We support each other, and we are truly passionate about our team, even in tough times like we've seen recently. Thanks to all of you. Go Vols!

Wow. Great thread man. I thought it was going to be another we SUCK bla bla bla. But no. I'd say be happy you had your father to share those memories with. My father is a good guy... He just never was really too into his kids. I'd kill to have been my fathers pride and joy. We didn't have the bond you and your father shared. I was bitter early in adulthood. But I'm not now. I have a 6 year old son (check my avi) and he'll have to beat me away from him to prevent us from having the relationship I wantedwi th my father. My son will benefit from what I didn't have.

I hope you watch the game tomorrow) and every other future gane) with pride. Knowing someone else is watching with you and maybe one day many years from now your son will start a similar thread

My dad grew up basically without a dad. My grandfather was a good guy and fun to be around, but he was a terrible father and husband. He finally completely left my dad to help my granny raise my two aunts when he was only 14 years old. Dad was determined to be the best father possible. Not only was he there for every touchdown I ever scored, or every game I played in, he never even missed a practice. We butted heads a bit when I was a teenager, mainly because he wanted what was best for me, and I just wanted to goof off and play football. However, by the time I was 20, Dad and I were best friends again like when I was little. You'll have that bond with your son, and I try to foster that same closeness with my own. God Bless, buddy. Go Vols!

I hope my son and your son attend UT and go to games together . It sounds like the same thing we went through with my uncle. This is why I love UT .

My dad gave me the orange fever 53 yrs ago, I turned around and gave it to my son 19 yrs ago. The trend will continue.

VN Store

Back