Greatest country song besides RT

Fightin’ Side of Me
Okie From Muskogee
Okie from Muskogee (song) - Wikipedia

In an interview with American Songwriter, Haggard called the song a "character study," his 1969 self being the character: "It was the photograph that I took of the way things looked through the eyes of a fool... and most of America was under the same assumptions I was. As it's stayed around now for 40 years, I sing the song now with a different attitude onstage... I've become educated... I play it now with a different projection. It's a different song now. I'm different now."

Critic Kurt Wolff wrote that Haggard always considered what became a redneck anthem to be a spoof, and that today fans—even the hippies who are derided in the lyrics—have taken a liking to the song and find humor in some of the lyrics.

[VIDEO=][/VIDEO]
This was a particular favorite. Between 1970 and 1972, we would belt out this song anytime, anywhere. I’ve sung this a thousand times or more.

I like the Dance too. That's more about just the way that I am. I am not a whiner.

Worried Man Blues is what I think gives you the measure of cultural significance of the Carter Family. That's the one that everybody recorded. However, it's not the one you'd hear in elevator music. I love it when you're somewhere like London or Tokyo and you hear some tune playing in the background that came out of Hiltons.

Hard to pick an all time great because there are so many I love to hear, including a number already mentioned. But here are some no one has mentioned that are greats:

Ray Price - For the Good Times (this, my friends, is what slow dancing is all about!)
Jim Reeves - Welcome to My World & He'll Have to Go
Tom Jones (covered by a lot of country artists) - The Green Green Grass of Home
Roy Clark - Yesterday When I was Young (English cover of a French song Hier Encore by Charles Aznavour)
Eddie Arnold - Make the World Go Away and the eponymous Cattle Call

Last edited:
Hard to pick an all time great because there are so many I love to hear, including a number already mentioned. But here are some no one has mentioned that are greats:

Ray Price - For the Good Times (this, my friends, is what slow dancing is all about!)
Thanks for that, I was just putting together a play list for a party and I was looking for a slow dance. Your whole list, in fact, I heard a lot growing up. We had a big (probably time-life) country 4 lp set and several of those were on that.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Thanks for that, I was just putting together a play list for a party and I was looking for a slow dance. Your whole list, in fact, I heard a lot growing up. We had a big (probably time-life) country 4 lp set and several of those were on that.

Grew up in south Georgia listening to "WLOR, AM730 on your dial!" (Thomasville) and country music.

An aunt of mine says For the Good Times reminds her of a young man she dated who was stationed at Spencefield in Moultrie during the late 50s.

I hate to point this out so late, didn’t want to be “that guy” and point out the obvious but Rocky Top is not and has never been a “country” song. It’s a “hillbilly” or at the very least a “bluegrass” song.

I love the stories in country/folk music. Probably my personal favorite song is “I feel like Hank Williams tonight.” By Jerry Jeff Walker. Not a great voice but I love this line. “Lately I’ve been thinking, I just might quit drinking. But now I don’t know all in all. I just might stay home, get drunk all alone, and punch a few holes in the wall.”
It’s from a little known album he did live in the late 80’s. I’ve owned it on cassette, vinyl, CD twice and now digital. You could float a battleship with the beer I drank listening to that song.

VN Store

Back