Greg McElroy just called out the Tennessee Oline on SEC network

I know very little about Oline play but, it was said last year that Jack Jones had a nasty streak in him. That sounds like a good thing. Maybe doesn't play his very best until you put him on the field against an opponent and then piss him off just a little. Don't know that's an answer but, anything would help at this point.
Poke Jack with a stick in the locker room. Talk about his mama in the tunnel then put him in the damn ballgame. He is our best mauler on the inside imo.

We haven't blocked very well for the past three years. It shouldn't take that long to build a quality offensive line.

Greg McElroy is just another ESPN p*ss ant. Who cares what he says? I don't hear them saying anything about Georgia's questionable defense this season.

If I was inviting one person to come watch the UT-Bama game with me, and it was between you and McElroy, I'd have McElroy buying the first round of beers. just saying.

The bottom line is, this is all on BJ. He kept Mahoney after the first yr and the OL has always been an issue. BJ has no excuses anymore. Mahoney cant be real good if Debored has to help him with the OL.

Greg McElroy is just another ESPN p*ss ant. Who cares what he says? I don't hear them saying anything about Georgia's questionable defense this season.

Somebody mad because McElroy didn't praise the OL for stinking it up and told the truth. Some people cant handle the truth.

Reactions: 1 person
This has always been our weakness. Dobbs threat to pull the ball and run on the read option is the only thing that has masked it.

When we don't utilize the threat of the run like last week, then our o-line gets exposed.

The most humorous thing in all this is the people that want Dormady inserted. I guess they have little regard for that kids well-being if they want him to play behind this o-line without amazing scrambling abilities.

I actually agree with this. Dormady would struggle just as bad as Dobbs behind this O-Line.

McElroy can be hit or miss for me. I do appreciate that he doesn't let any bias get into his analysis as far as I can tell.

I know very little about Oline play but, it was said last year that Jack Jones had a nasty streak in him. That sounds like a good thing. Maybe doesn't play his very best until you put him on the field against an opponent and then piss him off just a little. Don't know that's an answer but, anything would help at this point.

agree

I would like to know why people thought this Oline would be great.

According to most posters Dufus Dooley left the Oline in the worst condition it's ever been in.

It takes years to build a solid Oline with depth to replace a player for a breather or when a player is injured.

How suddenly after three classes was Jones Oline supposed to be stellar?

Roll the QB out of the pocket and stop trying to jam the ball down every defenses throat. VT will stack the line tomorrow!
Play to your strengths.
Ya it takes 7-10 classes to build a o line.

McElroy is one of the few who usually talks our Vols up, and gives them props more than any other commentators do. I dont like to hear the negative talk myself, but McElroy spoke the truth.

Last edited:
Please tell me you aren't trying to blame this on Dooley. He was fired during the 2012 season. The only players on the team that he signed are redshirt seniors. When Butch got here he had a solid O-line in 2013 which meant he had an extra year before any of his recruits had to even play. Wait, I guess the line is bad because they've had to play so many years and experience makes them worse. This is 100% on Butch. He focused on skill players in his first 2 recruiting cycles because that is what you need to win in the smaller divisions. It appears he learned his lesson selling out on getting Drew Richmond, Chance Hall, and Jack Jones.

He meant to say Bush. Just a little slip up there.

ITs crazy the same O-Line that was blowing open running lanes and protecting dobbs as the team drove 75 yards for a go ahead TD at Bama, is the same o line that played so bad against App State.

It's almost like they all went out the night before the game and were hungover.

It's also the same O-line that got destroyed by Bama when they realized we couldn't run the ball due to the clock at the end. The line got better in 2014 when Dobbs started playing bc defenses have to respect his running ability. Once we showed that he wasn't going to run they had no reason to hold back and keep contain. Same thing happened against Arkansas. They came in with one of the worst pass defenses so the coaches game planned to throw it on them. Same problem with the O-line

He called out Coleman Thomas, Dylan Wiesman, and Brett Kendrick for poor effort and toughness. I know Chance Hall would be starting if he wasn't hurt. I have a question for the insiders, do we have 3 other guys on the team right now that can get it done on the Oline in the SEC?

Kendrick didn't play well but played better than Robertson.

You should remember that these guys are starting because they beat the others out. So that leaves you with a difficult to swallow question. Did Jones really whiff that many times in his OL recruiting or is the coaching and techniques being taught really that bad?

I was actually going to make a thread on this but I changed my mind. He didn't just call them out, he did film breakdown on how bad they played. And he was 100% right.

He breaks down Coleman Thomas getting roasted

Line of scrimmage:

End result:

He also breaks down this play where we had 7 players in protection (5 OL, TE, Hurd) and they only rushed 3, and they still walked right through to Dobbs. It was bad.

Line of scrimmage:

End result:

Those are just a couple of the plays he broke down. He also broke down one where the whole line got beat by a 220 pound defensive end, and that defensive end took Hurd down on first contact. He was basically saying Hurd went down way too easily, and if you watch the play he's 100% right.
Not sure I agree. I read on some other threads that Dobbs should have just stood stronger in the pocket, made quicker reads, and gotten rid of the ball on time :crazy:

Not sure I agree. I read on some other threads that Dobbs should have just stood stronger in the pocket, made quicker reads, and gotten rid of the ball on time :crazy:

Ah.... so it must be either/or and apply to the whole game.... It can't be that some players failed at some times and others failed at other times?

My answers have been what they've been because too many want to absolve Dobbs of all blame.

The OL played terrible but Dobbs contributed to the poor O performance. Hurd played one of the worst games I've seen him play.... and I'm wondering if UT has a TE on the roster who can actually block anyone.

There's plenty of blame to go around.... and Dobbs gets some of it too.

I think the O-line is clearly the weakest link on the whole team. That performance vs. App St. was a bit inexcusable. I really hope it was just an aberration.

Ah.... so it must be either/or and apply to the whole game.... It can't be that some players failed at some times and others failed at other times?

My answers have been what they've been because too many want to absolve Dobbs of all blame.

The OL played terrible but Dobbs contributed to the poor O performance. Hurd played one of the worst games I've seen him play.... and I'm wondering if UT has a TE on the roster who can actually block anyone.

There's plenty of blame to go around.... and Dobbs gets some of it too.

Hurd ran for > 100 ... That's a solid season on average.

The line play is terrible, Dobbs is a SMART athlete with the leadership skills a team of young men (and most fans) respect. I think anyone with brains realize he's not Watson...

That being said, Shuler, Manning, Clausen, Martin.. Take your pick .... They aren't effectively passing when 3 men blow by the 7 'protecting' you like water through a sieve.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not worried. I'm betting the house that this oline comes out with hot fire in their eyes and a bee in their knickers. VT's run defense is suspect at best. Hurd should get 130+.

This has always been our weakness. Dobbs threat to pull the ball and run on the read option is the only thing that has masked it.

When we don't utilize the threat of the run like last week, then our o-line gets exposed.

The most humorous thing in all this is the people that want Dormady inserted. I guess they have little regard for that kids well-being if they want him to play behind this o-line without amazing scrambling abilities.
So true! We did the same this against The Hogs last year and got whooped too.

VN Store

Back