Gruden pays team 119 a visit

I love the energy that CBJ has brought back to this program. If we beat Oklahoma. The hype train and the band wagon will crash head on causing an Orange explosion you can see from the moon.

We all know about his UT connection as well as is wife's UT connection. Now his son will have a UT connection? Nice. In other words, he'll most likely always be someone who backs Tennessee which at worst, does nothing for us. At best, it helps us because he'll be willing to come meet players and maybe even go to some games. I'm sure his son will be at games cheering on the Vols.

Depending on how much he wants to be around the program or the school, his presence and support of the Vols could make an impact, even if it's a small one(up to him). It definitely wouldn't hurt recruiting if he was a around when recruits are visiting and it definitely wouldn't hurt team morale by talking to current players like he just got done doing. Glad his son is going to UT and will most likely make Gruden more instrumental in being around the Vols for words of wisdom and added support.

Reactions: 1 person
Coaching wise, better.

Recruiting wise, I don't think Gruden would be in a better position. It would be even at best.

Coaching wise, better? Have you seen what he did to the Bucs when he got a Super Bowl team handed to him and ran in into the ground in 5 years?

I agree that his presence and support is very positive for the Vols, but coaching wise---:no::no:

Coaching wise, better? Have you seen what he did to the Bucs when he got a Super Bowl team handed to him and ran in into the ground in 5 years?

I agree that his presence and support is very positive for the Vols, but coaching wise---:no::no:

Im not a Bucs fan, but it seems like that Bucs team was dismantled after the Super Bowl by the GM/Owners.

Reactions: 4 people
smoke screen for him to meet his future roster

Future roster?...You been living under a rock for the past few years?...He's been the head coach now for 3 years...Butch Jones is the highest paid assistant coach in college football history :)

I was on Gruden's return flight home. I approached him in first class, and asked him if he would be coaching Tennessee this season.

He looked at me and smiled, and then nodded yes. We then split whiskey and cokes and laughed the rest of the flight.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm tracking his plane...here's the latest!

N225GV-track_640_480.gif

I've flown that approach.

Off season Question for VN: would TN be in a better or worse position going into 2015 if Hart had hired Gruden rather than Jones?

Far worse. Right now, Gruden is way more marketable in other places and could be gone at the drop of a hat. Butch gonna be good to great, but ain't there yet. Living with the prospect of having to start all over yet another time would suuuuuuuck.

All in for Butch. I hope he will be the next Gen Neyland.

Reactions: 2 people
Off season Question for VN: would TN be in a better or worse position going into 2015 if Hart had hired Gruden rather than Jones?

Better. Butch is a better recruiter but Gruden is a better coach. I think with Butch we will get to UGA status, great recruiting classes, some big wins and big bowls, but no national championships. Maybe in 2020 we can bring Gruden in to work with all the talent Jones is stockpiling

Better. Butch is a better recruiter but Gruden is a better coach.

I don't think we have the data required to reach either of these conclusions.

Jon didn't coach long enough at the college level to have a great feel for how he'd be as a head recruiter at a program. Butch is absolutely awesome, but you have to know both sides to measure them against each other. We don't know one side.

As for measuring their "coaching" skills (recruiting is a part of college coaching, but I know what you meant), Jon seems to be a very bright Xs and Os tactician. His record as head coach is spotty, very roller-coasterish, but a big part of that seemed personality driven. Would he have the same spotty results at the college level? We'll probably never know. Butch, we're not positive of either. I personally think his success in years 2 and/or 3 of each of his previous HC jobs (CMU and Cincy) are pretty solid proof that he's an excellent Xs & Os strategist & tactician; others on VN disagree, and are waiting to see him prove it at Tennessee. Bottom line is, we don't have enough data on either of these guys to decide this one, either. Not really.

Would Gruden be great at Tennessee? No clue. He's a bright guy with plenty of experience in the game, but who knows if he'd be a good college head coach? Answer: no one does. Too many unknowns, answer indeterminate.

I'm just happy as hell that we do have Butch, and--at this point in life--wouldn't trade him for anyone on the planet. Not Urban, not Nick, not Pete Carroll, not anyone living. The General would have to rise from the dead for me to start calling for a pink slip with Butch's name on t.

Last edited:
It's one thing to have a respected football persona roll through town and wax poetic about the institution of the day. Quite another when you enroll your progeny in said institution. I agree with others that Gruden paying attention to the program probably is of limited value at best but it never hurts.

I hope his son has a great experience at UT. I know my two certainly have.

VN Store

Back