Guarantano's talent turning heads at Tennessee

Aren't you the same guy that got on some of us for saying he would be the starting QB in 2017?

No longer on the Dormady train? LOL.

He agreed and respected the opinion of TS. That is very different from saying JG will be ready to rock in 2017. People progress at different levels and it is still very likelt that Dormady will be our starting QB in 2017.

Is a redshirt freshman ready to compete in the SEC? A lot of times yes, a lot of times no. I have a feeling Dormady will take over after these season and either tear it up and leave for the NFL after or falter and make way for JG during the season or afterwards. To put it another way; Dormady will not have more time after 2017 at Tennessee, one way or the other. It will then be JG's show with three years of eligibility left.

This is just an opinion obviously. JG could win out right next year. Or Dobbs could get injured and JG backs him up. Or Dobbs gets injured and Dormady gets injured and JG gets in. Or. Or. Or.....

Or Sherion Jones...

Reactions: 3 people
That is a HUGE statement coming from VFL34. He may be one of the best but I don't think anyone can top Peyton. Tyler Bray had one heck of an arm too, we all saw how that panned out. The future still looks great on Rocky Top.

Reactions: 2 people
I'd rather have an accurate QB with a cannon that needs to tone it down a bit with some touch than a weak-armed QB who can't always get the ball where it needs to be.

JG has the potential to be the best QB we've had in many years.

You are absolutely correct. You can teach and improve touch, but outside of nominal improvement, you can't teach arm strength. Just like the old saying that you can't teach speed.

Reactions: 1 person
Aren't you the same guy that got on some of us for saying he would be the starting QB in 2017?

Figures you'd be short sighted enough to have this take.

No, been very balanced about our 2017 QB situation......several of you have been very dismissive of QD and his ability to be our QB here, some have even predicted he'll transfer. I've simply said "not so fast" and don't count him out. That has nothing to do with also being excited that we have JG and what he can potentially bring to the table.

Two very talented young qbs who'll battle it out next Spring IMO and the program will be all the better for it.....that's a far cry from what you're implying and from what you think, which is that QD isn't very good and has no chance to play here.

Reactions: 5 people
Figures you'd be short sighted enough to have this take.

No, been very balanced about our 2017 QB situation......several of you have been very dismissive of QD and his ability to be our QB here, some have even predicted he'll transfer. I've simply said "not so fast" and don't count him out. That has nothing to do with also being excited that we have JG and what he can potentially bring to the table.

Two very talented young qbs who'll battle it out next Spring IMO and the program will be all the better for it.....that's a far cry from what you're implying and from what you think, which is that QD isn't very good and has no chance to play here.

Well explained! Just let the QBs compete it out without all the "doesn't fit the offense" bullcrap! If Butch recruited them? They fit!

Reactions: 3 people

Respectfully,

Aren't you the same guy that got on Team 121, by saying all summer that (for success) it's this year, or never?

No longer on the future, post-Dobbs doom and gloom train? SAD.

Reactions: 2 people
He only throws at one speed.
I said this last year.

I know a lot of you all are gaga over that.

Truth is he needs have a changeup. A few change ups. Luckily he'll have time to adjust. I'm hoping he will.

Your Hooks, Corners, In's/Out's, and slants will all be at one speed and thrown with zip (if you got it). Your Posts, Post Corners, and Go's require TOUCH. The reason why Malone talked about his arm strength is because he, like all the other wr's have never caught balls from anyone with that velocity. Don't read into what you want to gleen from the article. You know like everyone else that Malone isn't referring to SURVIVING a Go route bullet.

That is a HUGE statement coming from VFL34. He may be one of the best but I don't think anyone can top Peyton. Tyler Bray had one heck of an arm too, we all saw how that panned out. The future still looks great on Rocky Top.

Bray doesn't have the wheels that JG has. Bray had a great arm and that's it. JG has a cannon and can run that's dangerous. Plus it seems like JG has that "it" factor about him from what I have saw from him and how he composes himself. Seems like he has a lot of confidence. I think He'll be the starter next year and QD will transfer, and SJ will be the backup.

Guarantano once threw a bullet pass to Paul Bain, the football turned & went the other direction.

I heard it hit him in the chest and when the unstoppable force hit the immovable object it created a Big Bang and then Joe Montana was born!!!

Josh Malone laughed before answering when asked to assess the most impressive skill Jarrett Guarantano has showed so far in preseason camp.

Malone, a junior wide receiver, knew the answer. Anyone who has watched Tennessee so far in preseason camp knows the answer.

“His arm,” Malone said.
You don’t catch passes from Guarantano. You survive them.

The highly touted freshman quarterback from New Jersey has a mean fastball.

“I mean, the kid’s got a cannon,” Malone said. “Like, we always get on him, because every one of his balls are bullets. It’s like he’s trying to drill the ball through you.”

Senior linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin said he and junior running back Alvin Kamara — two of the Vols’ four captains — enjoy messing with Guarantano, but he said they do it for a reason. They’re trying to toughen him up like leather.

“I like Jarrett,” Reeves-Maybin said. “Me and Alvin mess with him all the time, just ‘cause he’s the quarterback and he’s gonna have to have a lot of confidence when it’s his time to take the team. But I think he’s performing well. He’s still learning a lot. It’s a lot for a freshman, playing quarterback, but I think he’s progressing well.

“He’ll be a great player here.”

Freshman quarterback Jarrett Guarantano's talent turning heads for Tennessee Vols football

There's a reason QBs in 2017 have been shying away from TN and this kid is it. The writing was on the wall that he was going to be the next great QB here and he is now showing it. I can't wait to see JG zip it in 2017.

He only throws at one speed.
I said this last year.

I know a lot of you all are gaga over that.

Truth is he needs have a changeup. A few change ups. Luckily he'll have time to adjust. I'm hoping he will.

Sort of like speed, though, right? You can't teach speed, but you can teach routes, cuts etc.

You can't teach natural arm strength, but you can teach placement and develop touch.

If Travis says it's so then I'll believe him.

JG has lots to work on and learn but he's a hard worker and determined so I look forward to seeing him when it's his time to shine.

I hope Travis will post facts here more often.

Building a Champion WIN by WIN...VFL...GBO!!!

Where does Sheriron Jones end up in this equation? Hearing virtually nothing about him pre-season.

VN Store

Back