Hard times at UT

Another thread that needs to die fast

Dang, y'all wouldn't give a guy a hard time would you? Is this where you wana be when Jesus comes back? Pickn on ole TN Outlaw?

With over 15,000 posts you would think you knew the way to kill a thread is to.....NOT post anything. Guess grandmaw's basement was so boring that you just had to huh?

Well, I'm j/k but if u wana be an arse to somebody hell, put it on me. It'll give somebody else a break I guess.

I mean we have a coach that can't coach, a recruiting class that sux, a QB that can't throw, an AD that's the devil, an OC that coached the dinosaurs(and lost) etc. Idk how us fans can still muster the enthusiasm to put on our orange hats everyday. I guess cuz we know we can always just blame Dooley for it all.

Heck we have a coach that's built us up from vandy levels to being picked to win the east and even beyond, and has shown to be a master closer on the crutin' trail, one of THE most dynamic QB's in the nation that lots of solid teams would kill for, 2 asst coaches that 1 has proven to be one of the best at his craft and the other that proved last year that he could take our weakness(oline) and make it a strength and scheme around the teams skillsets and score alot of points. Hart may be the devil but he has made some good hires it seems so I'll reserve judgement on him.

In other words, you would think we were going downhill by reading a lot of folks feelings on here. Greatness hasn't been achieved yet but this program is in better shape than it's been in lots of years and the whole nation is hyped over what Jones has done thus far and they all like our chances with Dobbs at the wheel. Give Jones the benifit of the doubt until Feb with reguards to the 2017 class before "the sky is falling" takes place.

Great time to be a Vol, just like old times. Hold on, smile, and enjoy the ride brothers and sisters.

Looks like somebody's got a case of the Mondays...

Nah, winning makes us happy, just like you

But people THINK we'll win next year, isn't that good enough? I mean we're predicted to win the East so shouldn't we just assume that Butch is a division winning coach? My favorite Butch moment is when he hypothetically beat UF and the players carried him off the field. Then when he beat Bama and made out with Kiffen's ex at the 50 yard line while his son called Butch "dad". Jeez people, how can you doubt a coach that has those accomplishments?

I mean we have a coach that can't coach, a recruiting class that sux, a QB that can't throw, an AD that's the devil, an OC that coached the dinosaurs(and lost) etc. Idk how us fans can still muster the enthusiasm to put on our orange hats everyday. I guess cuz we know we can always just blame Dooley for it all.

Heck we have a coach that's built us up from vandy levels to being picked to win the east and even beyond, and has shown to be a master closer on the crutin' trail, one of THE most dynamic QB's in the nation that lots of solid teams would kill for, 2 asst coaches that 1 has proven to be one of the best at his craft and the other that proved last year that he could take our weakness(oline) and make it a strength and scheme around the teams skillsets and score alot of points. Hart may be the devil but he has made some good hires it seems so I'll reserve judgement on him.

In other words, you would think we were going downhill by reading a lot of folks feelings on here. Greatness hasn't been achieved yet but this program is in better shape than it's been in lots of years and the whole nation is hyped over what Jones has done thus far and they all like our chances with Dobbs at the wheel. Give Jones the benifit of the doubt until Feb with reguards to the 2017 class before "the sky is falling" takes place.

Great time to be a Vol, just like old times. Hold on, smile, and enjoy the ride brothers and sisters.

I remember when I had my first beer.

Agree 100%. HOWEVER. We have loads of potential. Most on here are tired of just potential. Its time to show results from all that "potential". Can Butch show that he can coach in crucial times? We should find out a lot about Butch and co. this year!!:good!::good!:

Reactions: 1 person
Now that we have clawed our way from the depths of irrelevance, we can go back to discussing what matters the most. How great can our offense be? How great can our defense be? Special teams, how great will they be?

2016 is a good year to see how great can a team be? I expect many records to be broken(starting with the number of wins in a season) on our NC

All 3 phases have the pc's to be dominant but I understand there's still questions on all 3. They finally have talent and lots of experienced talent to answer with though so hard to be down about any of it.

1) special teams-dominate last year. My ? Is how much Medley has improved if anybody has seen/heard? And also with the world knowing not to kick to Berry/Sutton, I wonder how much production we can count on with most prob kicking away from them. Prob just have alot of good field position.
2) offense-running game was bauce. Passing game of course had troubles. Not sure if anybody has seen/heard how Dobbs has been throwing and I wonder with a cpl incoming wr's being burners, without much time in the playbook to learn routes and blocking schemes how much do you think just sending them downfield can help open up the passing attack if Dobbs has improved any at all?
3) defense- secondary played much better toward the end of the year. Starting linebackers are studs and edge rushers are stacked up like chord wood. ? Is will TKjr and Gaulden/Berry replace 2 old vets with no drop off as early in the season as that 4 game stretch? By the end of the year I think they will be better, jus not sure about the gauntlet being as its early. Who is the best answer behind JRM and DKjr? Q Sapp? Bynum? Bates? Jumper? Shoop may swap some MLB's for OLB's. Idk?

My problem is when something starts to rhyme, it goes from Dr. Suese , to Vanilla Ice. What's your intentions here?

[youtube]http://youtu.be/CssC-DY4lO8[/youtube]

Just love Dungeon Family. Outkast and Goodie Mob, can't beat 'em.

But people THINK we'll win next year, isn't that good enough? I mean we're predicted to win the East so shouldn't we just assume that Butch is a division winning coach? My favorite Butch moment is when he hypothetically beat UF and the players carried him off the field. Then when he beat Bama and made out with Kiffen's ex at the 50 yard line while his son called Butch "dad". Jeez people, how can you doubt a coach that has those accomplishments?

Acting like the 2016 season has already been played and we failed dam sure ain't the way to act. Everybody talks about getting TN football back, well idk how long anybody on here has followed the Vols but some of the best yrs of Vol football were 9 win seasons and finishing 2nd in the east. Way more times than not that's what it was. It's way better than 5-7 and getting smoked by Oregon, Florida, Bama, etc.

I haven't crowned ANYBODY yet but i can see its as close to the glory years as its been in a loooong time and since I'm a FAN of this institution it sure don't make me wana b*tch about it.

Considering most if not all figure on this year being even better, hell I guess I'm crazy but it makes me not hang my head and cry about any little thing I can grab onto. Know what I'm saying?

Sorry I done such a bad deed as to try and say, be happy and enjoy not being 5-7 and having some ballers before their gone.

Reactions: 3 people
Acting like the 2016 season has already been played and we failed dam sure ain't the way to act. Everybody talks about getting TN football back, well idk how long anybody on here has followed the Vols but some of the best yrs of Vol football were 9 win seasons and finishing 2nd in the east. Way more times than not that's what it was. It's way better than 5-7 and getting smoked by Oregon, Florida, Bama, etc.

I haven't crowned ANYBODY yet but i can see its as close to the glory years as its been in a loooong time and since I'm a FAN of this institution it sure don't make me wana b*tch about it.

Considering most if not all figure on this year being even better, hell I guess I'm crazy but it makes me not hang my head and cry about any little thing I can grab onto. Know what I'm saying?

Sorry I done such a bad deed as to try and say, be happy and enjoy not being 5-7 and having some ballers before their gone.

9 wins meant a lot more when the seasons were only 11 games, so before 2006. That being said, this year has the potential to be one of the best in Vol history. I think we all need to remember the lesson of Auburn last year. We have legitimate concerns on both sides of the ball, a new D coordinator, new TE coach, and a head coach with a bad history of closing out games.

I'm excited for this coming season, I just don't understand when people say "we're back" just because we've been picked to win. I'll consider us "back" when we start beating our rivals and making it to championship games

All the *****ing about the quality recruits that chose U.T. to be home is really bringing me down. I was looking at this class as quality depth across the board. The only thin spot I can see at this point is RB after this season. We are deep now at every position besides RB. I bet Butch has a plan for that though. Look at this list of recruits ya'll. Look at the QUALITY depth at all areas next couple of years.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-recruiting/191141-2017-ut-commits-highlight-links.html

All this *****ing about fine athletes who chose to come here by over creatined salami zombies is really bringing me down and pissing me off! I swear it's the same threads EVERY SINGLE YEAR by the SAME YAHOOS. The next couple of years look golden if we can fill the RB position.

My favorite part about this thread is the fact that op told everyone to chill in such a way that people took offense. Then he took offense that they took offense and now we're back at square one.

I love the intranetz.

Reactions: 2 people
9 wins meant a lot more when the seasons were only 11 games, so before 2006. That being said, this year has the potential to be one of the best in Vol history. I think we all need to remember the lesson of Auburn last year. We have legitimate concerns on both sides of the ball, a new D coordinator, new TE coach, and a head coach with a bad history of closing out games.

I'm excited for this coming season, I just don't understand when people say "we're back" just because we've been picked to win. I'll consider us "back" when we start beating our rivals and making it to championship games

I've never said we "were back" on here or with my personal friends and I'm not gona brag about winning big until we do. I didn't just watch auburns epic fail, I've watched some team do so nearly every year for several years. Including UT in 2005. I'm fully aware we have not won the east yet or beat bama/Florida etc.

There's an upcoming season that has not been played. Common sense says, you can't crown team 120 yet cuz they've not proved it yet. The same reasoning would also say you can't pick apart the team, the coach, the recruiting class cuz they haven't failed yet in 2016, right?

All they've done leading up till now is improve consistently in recent years. 9 wins used to mean more, and I'll go a step farther and say finishing 2nd used to mean more when Florida was a powerhouse along with GA. My point was we haven't been winning 9 games every year since 2006 and we haven't been finishing 2nd in the east even when Florida was the worst they've been in what, 20 years?

It's just hard to read all these threads picking apart the very people thats responsible for us going into the offseason with 9 wins instead of 5 and being 2nd in the east instead of 5th. Not losing to vandy and ky.

Nothing's for sure and I know that but I'm thankful to the players and coaches for the improvement and having a chance to have a special season after what I've seen since 2007 when we KNEW we had NO chance.

This thread wasn't meant for everybody, and it wasn't even meant in a bad way. Was more of a cheer up, times are alot better than they have been with a chance to be even greater. That's all.

All 3 phases have the pc's to be dominant but I understand there's still questions on all 3. They finally have talent and lots of experienced talent to answer with though so hard to be down about any of it.

1) special teams-dominate last year. My ? Is how much Medley has improved if anybody has seen/heard? And also with the world knowing not to kick to Berry/Sutton, I wonder how much production we can count on with most prob kicking away from them. Prob just have alot of good field position.
2) offense-running game was bauce. Passing game of course had troubles. Not sure if anybody has seen/heard how Dobbs has been throwing and I wonder with a cpl incoming wr's being burners, without much time in the playbook to learn routes and blocking schemes how much do you think just sending them downfield can help open up the passing attack if Dobbs has improved any at all?
3) defense- secondary played much better toward the end of the year. Starting linebackers are studs and edge rushers are stacked up like chord wood. ? Is will TKjr and Gaulden/Berry replace 2 old vets with no drop off as early in the season as that 4 game stretch? By the end of the year I think they will be better, jus not sure about the gauntlet being as its early. Who is the best answer behind JRM and DKjr? Q Sapp? Bynum? Bates? Jumper? Shoop may swap some MLB's for OLB's. Idk?

1) Score more TDs, field goals won't get it done. Medley needs to stop aiming at te upright and start aiming down the middle.

2) All aspects of the passing game faltered last year, even a slight improvement for each factor will add up a a significant overall improvement(we still need recievers making those great catches).

3) We have "keep them fresh depth", injury depth is still suspect, some unproven players may have to step up and earn their scholarships.

The mental aspect is still the biggest question. How aggressive will #120 be, will dictate how great #120 will be.

With our talent level we can afford to gamble a little and have a lot of fun, or if CBJ decided to go conservative and grind the wins out there will be some good close games on our NC run.

1) Score more TDs, field goals won't get it done. Medley needs to stop aiming at te upright and start aiming down the middle.

2) All aspects of the passing game faltered last year, even a slight improvement for each factor will add up a a significant overall improvement(we still need recievers making those great catches).

3) We have "keep them fresh depth", injury depth is still suspect, some unproven players may have to step up and earn their scholarships.

The mental aspect is still the biggest question. How aggressive will #120 be, will dictate how great #120 will be.

With our talent level we can afford to gamble a little and have a lot of fun, or if CBJ decided to go conservative and grind the wins out there will be some good close games on our NC run.

I can't disagree with you on any of that. Hope to see more of an attack mode outa this team cuz then we know Butch has seen enough good play in practice to trust em.

Gonna be good.

I can't disagree with you on any of that. Hope to see more of an attack mode outa this team cuz then we know Butch has seen enough good play in practice to trust em.

I think CBJ has always trusted them, he just would game plan to the strengths of the team and that would get the team a lead. Then the team would relax and think "we got this", and CBJ would get conservative and then we would be in a dog fight.

I think CBJ has always trusted them, he just would game plan to the strengths of the team and that would get the team a lead. Then the team would relax and think "we got this", and CBJ would get conservative and then we would be in a dog fight.

I agree, it's not a question of trusting the players. It's getting too conservative with a marginal lead.

Don't get me wrong, I adore the smash-mouth running game and I understand playing the percentages and managing the game so as to minimize the risk of turnovers with a lead, and trying to control the ball and run down the clock by keeping it primarily on the ground with a lead, that's how great coaches like General Neyland and Bear Bryant operated.

But three and outs are not going to help anybody. Even with a small lead, and even if it is somewhat more risky, you have to be willing to take some shots down the field enough (25 to 30 percent of the time?), especially on first down, so that defenses are kept guessing and thus play back on their heels.

Last edited:

You may be right. I know JRM said they would relax when they were up. Maybe i meant to say, turn them loose instead of saying trust. Like when we were down 2+ scores and had nothing to lose. Rather than waiting till we are down and abandoning the game plan and just letting them go all out, game plan to attack from the get go. Dont go all crazy and be careless but game plan to use what talent we have all over the field to take what they want. There will be games that are better played conservative and i hope with this Oline and rb group and Dobbs legs that we can grind out wins vs good defenses.

You may be right. I know JRM said they would relax when they were up. Maybe i meant to say, turn them loose instead of saying trust. Like when we were down 2+ scores and had nothing to lose. Rather than waiting till we are down and abandoning the game plan and just letting them go all out, game plan to attack from the get go. Dont go all crazy and be careless but game plan to use what talent we have all over the field to take what they want. There will be games that are better played conservative and i hope with this Oline and rb group and Dobbs legs that we can grind out wins vs good defenses.

Cool. We are on the same page. Allow them to play to their potential, and we will be fine. Let them grind out the competative games, and see what happens.

My big concern is the schedule. It seems the SEC could set up the schedule so that we don't have the 4 toughest opponents in a row. Would like to see Georgia shifted to the open week (open for them too, but right before their Fla. game). I hope they can do better scheduling in the future. GBO!

VN Store

Back