Has NCAA Anger Given Birth to Pro Farm League?

The end of the NCAA, what so many have long clamored for,
is truly the dog finally catching the car tire.
No problem, but the courts will likely force the replacement entity to step up and use the revenue generating elements to also replace all the administrative functions for all the remaining sports too. Water polo, gymnastics, equestrian, soccer, track and field, and the rest. They are not going shut down Indianapolis and let the rest of the PREVIOUSLY amateur athletes, including all of D2 and D3 just go unfunded in the wind. The cost of doing business with the cream of the crop may not be mandated by the courts but by Congress as all the representatives with athlete constituents in the pantheon of NCAA sports, as well as the associated band members and cheerleaders will not let them go unprotected and certainly not unfunded. Be interesting to see who is willing to step up and sign on for ALL these tasks.

Reactions: KHVol
I have read multiple reports over the years stating that most athletic departments lose money.

Here's one: How many millions has your university lost on athletics?

If true, then I wonder why many of them would want to lose more money than they're losing now to maintain a full array of athletics
for their students. We'll see.
Bigshots lie all the time to benefit continued fattening their wallets. You see the same male bovine excretion lies about recycling, water pollution, and so on. Now the claim colleges lose money on athletics. Only yokels believe that. Even in our own UT, football alone was funding academics until the team wins declined and couldn't afford to keep doing it. Capitalism works, even for liars.

Reactions: Remy
Bigshots lie all the time to benefit continued fattening their wallets. You see the same male bovine excretion lies about recycling, water pollution, and so on. Now the claim colleges lose money on athletics. Only yokels believe that. Even in our own UT, football alone was funding academics until the team wins declined and couldn't afford to keep doing it. Capitalism works, even for liars.
I agree with your post. But I have to wonder if you eliminated the supporting donor bases if athletics would survive in academic institutions. It is evident that schools without huge donor bases are discriminated against when it comes to athletic success.

As I have grown older I wonder if schools at some point will reassess their purpose and their relationship with athletics. Especially in this era where the public is losing faith in the effectiveness of higher education.

I agree with your post. But I have to wonder if you eliminated the supporting donor bases if athletics would survive in academic institutions. It is evident that schools without huge donor bases are discriminated against when it comes to athletic success.

As I have grown older I wonder if schools at some point will reassess their purpose and their relationship with athletics. Especially in this era where the public is losing faith in the effectiveness of higher education.
This is exactly the issue.

What part of the mission of the University of Tennessee leads anyone to think they should own a pro franchise in different sports?

That's why the NCAA mattered, inept and corrupt as it was, and why the incessant attacks by schools and by states to attempt to destroy it will end badly. The slower the NCAA dies, the better for college football.

Another entity replacing the NCAA will almost certainly be a pro model, not a "student athlete" model. The schools cannot create a "new NCAA" in violation of Antitrust Law, so it will have to include salaries, collective bargaining, caps, free agency rules, and a draft.

This shows it's the schools with successful athletic departments murdering college athletics out of pure greed for their lucrative media contracts.

Reactions: onevol74
This isn’t a new issue. Most schools have been losing money on football for years.
The theory is having football helps with admissions. Donors, alumni, political figures and others use their influence to keep football even if the school is losing money.
In the late 1980s Wichita State ended their football program because of the financial burden it was placing on the university. They have done a few studies since then but financially they couldn’t justify restarting football.

This isn’t a new issue. Most schools have been losing money on football for years.
The theory is having football helps with admissions. Donors, alumni, political figures and others use their influence to keep football even if the school is losing money.
In the late 1980s Wichita State ended their football program because of the financial burden it was placing on the university. They have done a few studies since then but financially they couldn’t justify restarting football.
Along with this there is still one issue out there that has yet to develop. NFL players have successfully sued the NFL for the effects of CTE. That is just 5% of the players who played college football. I am still waiting for the other 95% to realize that college football has tons of money and a class action lawsuit could be a reality. The effects of CTE is not just limited to the NFL. If this were to happen I could see it bankrupting college athletics and producing a liability that would be too costly to the academic institutions. At what point will academic institutions stop and look at their core mission and reassess the future. The game has completely changed with play for pay.

Reactions: KHVol
No money in semipro sports. They'll need the universities to "brand" it. There's certainly a danger that this won't interest the fans. The money is all coming from sports fans, and naturally they can withhold it at any time.

VN Store

Back