Hats off to Carr, Freddy and Estrella

If I had a vote for most improved player, I would seriously think about Gainey. Early in the year he would come in and I would wonder if Barnes was just conceding the game. Turnovers, missed shots, it was Oh No time. Now, I don't think we lose a step when he comes in. You can tell his confidence is way up and he gives us good minutes. He can also shoot the ball pretty well. Next year, he will be a terror. You can see the work and effort he has put in.

I was surprised to see those guys playing but it worked out. Especially Carr.

I was surprised, too. Actually I was delighted to see them playing. I’ve been hoping for years that Barnes would actually start playing more guys throughout the season to keep our core guys’ legs fresh and to build some depth for the tournament. I’ve not seen him play more than his usual rotation of 7 and sometimes 8…until this season. He has been giving more guys more minutes this season. We are seeing the results. I mean he played 10 guys against Creighton…with an elite eight bid on the line. And those guys contributed…all of them. As I’ve come to know Barnes, playing 10 guys in the postseason is just unheard of. Heresy.

And look where we are.

Aidoo had a tough game, but he didn’t “simply get lost on defense”. For the most part Creighton ran back picks on him to get their center those open looks. There was a couple times in the first minutes of the game where Aidoo over helped on a pick on the perimeter such that he didn’t have enough time to recover back to defend the post. Both are very different than getting lost.
Missing 5-6 layups hurt in the first half. He is not strong enough to play with the big 250-270 players who can run rebound and score.

want to see Carr get significant minutes before I say it with conviction but I think Carr is a pro in waiting. Don’t want to speak on FD till season over. Not cause I know anything just cause I’m sorta stitious

Estrella will be good. I think folks are sleeping on how good Phillips could be in that grimy, bang it out king of game. Also think his shot might be better than has been shown.

Reactions: knox73

VN Store

Back