Heath Shuler on his career at UT and the program today

Just imagine if Heath had returned for his senior season and Manning was his back up.
Or imagine if we had beaten Arkansas & USC in 1992. We had a close loss to Alabama that year also.
Just a few points away from a N.C.game. Majors messed all three of those games up.

Reactions: 1 person
Was healthy in college but stayed injured in the NFL - probably had something to do with his level of success don't ya think?

Was healthy in college but stayed injured in the NFL - probably had something to do with his level of success don't ya think?

Injuries certainly didn't help, but Mark Schlereth (Redskins) once said Heath Shuler was the only QB he ever played with who actually stepped into a huddle without knowing the playbook.

Just reading your post made me smile! Good memories for me and a huge reason I'm a Vol fan. Kelly was a bad dude! Id give a golden nickel for Pickens to be on team 120!

Heath Shuler had a cannon and was a heck of a dual threat guy for his time. I remember losing to ARK in 92 but I had forgotten about S Car I guess.

My dad till this day says T Robinson could've been one of the best QB's we ever had. I was too young to remember him though.

Thanks for the smile my friend

TRob, IMHO, is still the most physically talented QB I've seen at Tennessee. Shuler and of course Peyton right there...but for me, it was TRob. If not for the injury and bad off the field decisions, he'd be in every discussion about our greatest all time qbs behind Peyton. He was a great player.

TRob, IMHO, is still the most physically talented QB I've seen at Tennessee. Shuler and of course Peyton right there...but for me, it was TRob. If not for the injury and bad off the field decisions, he'd be in every discussion about our greatest all time qbs behind Peyton. He was a great player.

What video I've seen he could sling it and had wheels to boot. I just always liked to give my pops a hard time when I was a teenager(imagine that) and act like he was crazy when he said that but I guess T-Rob really was a talented QB. I've seen a few people on here say somewhat the same as you. Did he tend to get into trouble off the field?

Well, as a former Maroon Devil, and knew the family pretty well, I have to say Heath was a great ball player... BUT he seems to have forgotten where he came from, gotten too big for his britches... talked to his uncle just the other day, he's not the boy from Bryson City he used to be ... But he sure was exciting to watch on Friday Night and Saturdays , and has done well for HIMSELF ]after

Injuries certainly didn't help, but Mark Schlereth (Redskins) once said Heath Shuler was the only QB he ever played with who actually stepped into a huddle without knowing the playbook.

There was something seriously off when Shuler was in Washington. Maybe it was because he didn't know the playbook but it was obvious his OL didn't like him. It sure looked like they were intentionally letting DL sack him during the game. Then Frerotte would come in and they'd start blocking.

It was very strange.

Ah yes...Heath Shuler. The inspiration for my love of football pants. *sigh*

:rock:
GBO!!

What video I've seen he could sling it and had wheels to boot. I just always liked to give my pops a hard time when I was a teenager(imagine that) and act like he was crazy when he said that but I guess T-Rob really was a talented QB. I've seen a few people on here say somewhat the same as you. Did he tend to get into trouble off the field?

Yeah. Injured his knee vs Bama then had cocaine issues (using and selling).

I recall that students in Presidential Courtyard used to put up messages on there windows with masking tape. Soon after Robinson's injury, he was busted selling cocaine to an undercover cop. Somebody put up the message "The Bears have The Fridge....Tennessee has the Coke Machine".....it was sad but funny.

He was a phenomenal talent on the field though.

Last edited:

Struggled with that early at Tennessee as well iirc.

And Heath had the strongest arm I ever saw from a UT QB. He had a damn rocket launcher attached to his shoulder.

Man he was a really really strong QB in his playing days. Back in the 90's, I met him and shook his hand at McGee Tyson Airport, and I thought he broke my hand. Super cool guy. :rock:

He was light on his feet too. I bet he would have flourished in CBJs offense.

Also ran strong and seriously punished any DB who got in his way. Not that they look similar running the ball, but he put folks on their back like Hurd. I've mentioned it before, but I have a friend who played corner at AR. Says he can still feel the hit Heath put on him once. Said it was the hardest he was ever hit by anyone.

I recall that students in Presidential Courtyard used to put up messages on there windows with masking tape. Soon after Robinson's injury, he was busted selling cocaine to an undercover cop. Somebody put up the message "The Bears have The Fridge....Tennessee has the Coke Machine".....it was sad but funny.

Sounds like a huge amount of talent wasted!

Cocaine's uh helluva drug! -Rick James

Can't help but laugh at the Coke machine joke.

I'm definitely gona find some more game video on T-Rob. I've seen very little but what I have seen he showed he had plenty of talent. Any games you would recommend?

Sounds like a huge amount of talent wasted!

Cocaine's uh helluva drug! -Rick James

Can't help but laugh at the Coke machine joke.

I'm definitely gona find some more game video on T-Rob. I've seen very little but what I have seen he showed he had plenty of talent. Any games you would recommend?

Auburn 1985.

Reactions: 1 person
Heath's a good guy and still loves the Vols very much. Had he been in an Urban Meyer system....hoo boy.

He has openly talked about his time in the NFL and made no excuses other than a passing comment I heard about being frustrated because he was "shackled."

Norv Turner actually yelled at him after he threw a TD because he didn't stay in the pocket.

He laughingly described his time with an aging Mike Ditka as bizzare. He said he once had a horrible 1st quarter and was benched the rest of the game. Then Ditka gave him the game ball.....

All in all he said the highest level of coaching he got (spent time in DC, New Orleans and LA) was from this dude named Cutcliffe. He was a perfectionist above all others. Cut demanded perfect execution down to the inch that an o lineman's stance was off.

He said he was desperately trying to make the Raider's roster and went home and told his wife that he thought this was "going to work. This offense thrives on rollouts, moving the pocket. I think I really have a chance here and I love this guy named Gruden." Then he promptly dislocated every toe and tore multiple tendons in one foot. I actually saw him with a slight limp 2-3 years post injury.

No offense KB, but don't see the humor. TRob was a troubled soul and wasted talent. One of the best athletes I've ever seen play the game.

I was at the 92 TN/SC game and couldn't believe I witnessed the Vols lose to SC. Shuler was a great QB just wish he would have stayed for his Sr year and I think he has said he should have also.

He would have won the Heisman. He will forever be on my **** list for leaving.

VN Store

Back