Here's the new ESPN Women's Basketball bracketology

First, they should ditch geographic seeding /if and when/ it leads to unfair seedings/bracket placement. The integrity of the tourney should be most important--and it's not like geographic seeding helps draw bigger crowds. It helps the home team and that's about it.

Second, there is no way they can put UT in the same bracket with UConn--that would be an outrage. You don't put the no. 1 and 5 overall seeds in the same bracket.

Third, I wouldn't have a problem going to Spokane or playing OSU in Spokane. OSU would likely have more fans there than UT, but Washington is not Oregon and I can't imagine that OSU is going to draw a lot of fans to Spokane.

First, they should ditch geographic seeding /if and when/ it leads to unfair seedings/bracket placement. The integrity of the tourney should be most important--and it's not like geographic seeding helps draw bigger crowds. It helps the home team and that's about it.

Second, there is no way they can put UT in the same bracket with UConn--that would be an outrage. You don't put the no. 1 and 5 overall seeds in the same bracket.

Third, I wouldn't have a problem going to Spokane or playing OSU in Spokane. OSU would likely have more fans there than UT, but Washington is not Oregon and I can't imagine that OSU is going to draw a lot of fans to Spokane.

400 miles separate Corvalis and Spokane. They would bring plenty of fans there. More there than any other regional.

Even if we get a #1 seed, it would be in Spokane, and if OSU is there, the same situation applies with having to win on basically an opponents home court to get to the Final Four. OSU should not be in Spokane. They haven't earned it.

Being a #1 would get us out of UConn's bracket, but the main issue is OSU in Spokane.

OSU just lost to Colorado in their first game of the Pac-12 Tourney. They definitely do not deserve to play in Spokane if they stay a 2 seed!

The committee will definitely put them in Spokane now, but as a 3 seed. I don't think they have earned the right to play in Spokane at all.

Reactions: 1 person
The committee will definitely put them in Spokane now, but as a 3 seed. I don't think they have earned the right to play in Spokane at all.

Tennessee at worst will be a #2 Seed. There's no way in hell that Tennessee falls to a #3 Seed,

400 miles separate Corvalis and Spokane. They would bring plenty of fans there. More there than any other regional.[/QUOTE

They may elect to go with Arizona State as a 3 out there now. Especially if they win the Pac-12 tournament.

Imo only two maybe three teams are better than the the lady gold right now.
UConn
Notre Dame
South Carolina (?)

I think IT has the POTENTIAL to win it all but Uconn is a huge hurdle. I believe they can beat any team out there right now because of defense and being able to grind out an ugly win.

Vs. Uconn
Carter can stop Jefferson she makes the team tick. Awesome player but Carter's defense could make things hard.
Burdick can cover Stewart. I don't think she can stop her but I believe she would relish the opportunity to try to slow her down. Burdick is like Barkley. Very underrated and is a 4 who can play some 3. She is a good matchup for Stewart although she's smaller.
Reynolds can stop KML. Reynolds athleticism will give her fits.
Stokes isn't a scorer. So she stops herself.

Slow down/shut down KML, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck(Graves) and that team can go down.

Notre Dame can be beat if these ladies play as they have been. They are playing like true Lady Volunteers I love seeing the fight in them.

South Carolina is just big. But if Kentucky can do it. We can.

Exciting time of year.

I think it is in our interest for Louisville to win versus FSU and Arizona State to lose to Stanford.

I think it's pretty clear the pool for 2 seeds is as follows at this moment in time: UMD/UT, Baylor, FSU, AZ State/Louisville. Oregon State may be a contender still due to their Pac-12 regular season title but they've lost 2 of 3 and the loss to Colorado is easily the worst for any of these teams. Given that pool there seem to be 2 scenarios:

Scenario 1: Arizona State as last 2 seed

The committee will look at this group and immediately put Baylor in Oklahoma City and Arizona State in Spokane due to geography. That leaves Greensboro and Albany. UT can't go to Greensboro if South Carolina is there, so FSU goes to Greensboro; UT to Albany.

Scenario 2: Louisville as last 2 seed.

This scenario is more favorable to UT. Baylor still goes to Oklahoma City. UT can't go to Greensboro so either FSU or Louisville goes there--maybe the winner of today's game. That leaves FSU/Louisville and UT to place in Albany or Spokane. At this point it would seem to me geography is a non factor as putting UT in Albany is no more advantageous geographically than Louisville or Florida State. At that point then it makes sense to me to follow the S-curve and put UT in Spokane and Louisville to Albany.

Here's hoping ha.

Reactions: 2 people
We will be the top no. 2 seed. We should be in Maryland's region, which would give us the best shot of making the final four. Otherwise, it will be hard/very hard because we have no chance of beating UConn (and it would be an outrage if they put the top no. 2 seed with the top 1 seed--overall no. 1 seed), and only a slight chance of beating ND and SC. We are capable of beating those teams--but we'd have to shoot very well and hope that they have off nights.

Vols don't really have any natural scorers on the team. We need Burdick to score close to 20, and probably another 16 from Massengale and Graves (say, 8 each) to have a chance against the top teams--and you just count on them against good defenses because they are not all that gifted. Burdick is the most talented, but she's always been a complementary scorer--not THE scorer. Massengale is one dimensional--shooting threes--and when she plays as she did against SC we are in trouble. And while Graves, to her credit, has notably improved her offensive game, she is in no way a natural scorer. That's just the way it is. Our most talented all-around player, right now, is Nared, IMO--but she's young and raw and still finding herself. We don't have anyone like Stewart or the guard from ND who are special talents and who can pick up their teams with a few baskets when they need a jolt. We did a pretty good job of slowing SC yesterday for a half, but we lost our offensive mojo, could not make shots, and that was that.

Spokane with MD is out best outcome...we aren't beating ND this season, nor UConn. We would have a chance with MD.

I am glad to see he made the SC-ND region switch this morning. It was a fallacy to say that Tennessee had to go to Albany as the top 2 seed due to geography and then not allow Notre Dame as the #2 overall seed to go to Greensboro which is 2 hours closer than OK City, an ACC town, and for a school with an east coast fan base.

Seems like Spokane is where seeding should put us and where our odds of winning are greatest. But getting to the Elite 8 will be tough if we play like we did in the 2nd half yesterday. We'll see how far rest and want can take us.

Looking ahead to the future I just had this realization. Rupp Arena in Lexington is a regional host in 2016-2018. If UK makes the tournament and is a top 4 seed they will automatically be placed there, thus effectively shifting any higher rated 1/2 seed from the SEC to a northeast location (Albany/Bridgeport) or the midwest (Dallas, OK City, KS City).

2016-18 regional hosts | NCAA.com

Looking ahead to the future I just had this realization. Rupp Arena in Lexington is a regional host in 2016-2018. If UK makes the tournament and is a top 4 seed they will automatically be placed there, thus effectively shifting any higher rated 1/2 seed from the SEC to a northeast location (Albany/Bridgeport) or the midwest (Dallas, OK City, KS City).

2016-18 regional hosts | NCAA.com

Just because Kentucky is a Top 4 seed doesn't mean they would automatically be placed in the Lexington regional. If they are a Top 4 seed, they would host the first two rounds at home. Unless they are a 1 or 2 seed with no other SEC teams being those, highly unlikely they would let KY play four home games in the tournament.

According to Crème, the top 4 teams in the same conference will not be in the same bracket.

VN Store

Back