Heupel and improved recruiting

Excellent work. Many just won’t believe and accept this. Especially @sjt18. But actual days like this tells it all. Just yet another example that backs the rule. To win at the highest level, you have to have the best talent.

Clemson won 2x, once while they were #9 and once while #6 in the team composite rankings. This year either #14 or #26 will win.

So 3x since the inception of the playoffs.

33.33% of the time, you do NOT need to be bringing in top 5 classes to win a NC.

On average, a non-top 5 talent team has won the NC every 3 years.

You have said that you CANNOT win a championship without top 5 talent as determined by the recruiting sites.

I have argued two things that are not disproven in any way by his "work". One, the rankings follow the successful programs and NOT the other way round. Two apparently equal recruits in terms of performance and measurables with one being a priority for Saban and the other not... which one gets the 5th star? There is the difference in your recruiting rankings.

But now you have DIRECT proof that you do NOT need top 5 classes to win the NC... and you are still trying to say that you do. How someone can be as stubbornly wrong as you are and have been is just amazing.

BTW, in case it wasn’t clear, my point in this thread and thread bump is not to prove or disprove something.

It is to present info for thought and discussion.

My thoughts from the info have been that a team that has an excellent recruiting class stands a pretty good chance of winning the championship (but not guaranteed to), AND that there have been some exceptions to that norm in the past several years.

Good coaching and a great QB, of course, also weigh heavily into the equation.

Also, it is agreed and has been discussed that there can be bias in player recruiting scores. It’s not a perfect system, but we still can glean some reasonable info from it.

Just curious, what did you mean by putting the word work in quotation marks?

another thing to consider is we have no idea how this new playoff format will play in to winning a title. in a one and done situation, match ups matter and it may not necessarily be the "most talent" wins. sure, i think you'd hedge toward the powers that be in this regard, but in a given year, in a single elimination format on neutral fields (after the 1st round)....it allows for more opportunity for perceived upsets.

this year you could certainly argue that was the case. especially if Wazzu wins it.

so i think this notion that "you have to" out recruit or be on par with UGA, Bama, OSU etc....takes a bit of hit. that said, there are still advantages in this new playoff for those programs that win conferences and finish inside the top 5...1st round bye, and/or getting a home game in the 1st round are big advantages.

but there's certain teams out there that most teams don't want to see lined up across from them. just ask Michigan.

get in the new playoff and see what happens.

This is a much better barometer than using class rank.
The study I would like to see is the percentage of 4 stars that get drafted and the percentage of 3 stars that get drafted by school, not the entire pool. Getting the right guys, regardless of stars is the real name of the game. Stars or rating is a tough job. It is pretty easy to see the talented guys who started shaving in the 5th grade and properly categorize them. It is the late bloomers who are accurately lower ranked at 18 that get better by 20 and max out at 22 and pass a bunch of HS 4 stars on the field and draft boards that makes taking stars on signing day as a hard data point a bit of a fool's errand now more than ever. Still facts but..........

another thing to consider is we have no idea how this new playoff format will play in to winning a title. in a one and done situation, match ups matter and it may not necessarily be the "most talent" wins. sure, i think you'd hedge toward the powers that be in this regard, but in a given year, in a single elimination format on neutral fields (after the 1st round)....it allows for more opportunity for perceived upsets.

this year you could certainly argue that was the case. especially if Wazzu wins it.

so i think this notion that "you have to" out recruit or be on par with UGA, Bama, OSU etc....takes a bit of hit. that said, there are still advantages in this new playoff for those programs that win conferences and finish inside the top 5...1st round bye, and/or getting a home game in the 1st round are big advantages.

but there's certain teams out there that most teams don't want to see lined up across from them. just ask Michigan.

get in the new playoff and see what happens.

Wazzau (nickname for Washington State) did NOT even make a bowl game.

Wazzau (nickname for Washington State) did NOT even make a bowl game.
well i think we can both agree you know who i was referring to.
giphy.gif

Like many here, I like to look at the average recruit score over a year's recruiting class instead of the total composite score on 247Sports.

The past several to many national championship teams have had an average recruit score of 93-95, with an occasional 91 or 92. Except for 2016 Clemson (89 avg entire roster score), this has been true without exception in the past decade or more.

The Vols average recruit score over the past many years has hovered in the 85.9 to 90.9 range. Historically, just not enough depth of talent to take us to a championship.

Looks like Heupel has us on the right track though. His 2023 class was 90.9 and the 2024 class is looking to close in the 92-93 range (if we get almost any combination of the remaining players on EricVol's post on the Upcoming Targets Page, Running list of Tennessee targets planned commitment dates

Normally it takes a few years of recruiting in the 92-95 range to get the depth and talent necessary for a championship. Although 2024 will be our first year in that range in a long time, it is possible with Heupel's coaching that we get to a championship this year or next. However, if Heupel continues this trend, combined with good coaching, we should be in the mix for several years to come.

Historic graph for the Vols is below.

Things are looking much brighter. Go Vols.

View attachment 564836
Love it.

We all are edgy because we have been led to fools gold before and gotten 💩 on. It’s nothing against Heup lol

Reactions: norrislakevol
BTW, in case it wasn’t clear, my point in this thread and thread bump is not to prove or disprove something.

It is to present info for thought and discussion.

My thoughts from the info have been that a team that has an excellent recruiting class stands a pretty good chance of winning the championship (but not guaranteed to), AND that there have been some exceptions to that norm in the past several years.

Good coaching and a great QB, of course, also weigh heavily into the equation.

Also, it is agreed and has been discussed that there can be bias in player recruiting scores. It’s not a perfect system, but we still can glean some reasonable info from it.
The thing about that is that only a handful of programs have won the CPF. There have been MANY more whose recruiting was supposedly top 10 or even top 5 that didn't... didn't compete... and often weren't good football teams. This year's "top 10" in the composite were Bama, UGA, and OSU. After that, you have A&M, Clemson, Texas, LSU, USCw, OU, and Oregon. All good teams but I don't think you can make the claim that they're distinctly more talented and definitely not more successful on the field than teams 10 or 20 spots behind them.

If BOT's faith in the rankings was "true" then there would be no reason to play games. You could compare recruiting rankings and mail the results in.

The truth is that the recruiting sites are FOLLOWING not predicting. The fact that Saban, Smart, and Day sign lots of 5* guys has more to do with THEIR success on the field and a whole lot less with the ability of the fine folks at 247, On3, et al to first find the best players in the country and then compare them accurately to produce a list of the 500 players out of the many tens of thousands out there.

Now, watch this happen over the next few years assuming that there isn't a coaching change at UW or Michigan. Their "high 3*" will start getting a 4th star. They will start creeping up the rankings like Clemson did after winning the NC with supposedly the 11th best roster.

I'm rambling but it would be far more accurate to say that Saban and Smart know how to find talent and win championships than their recruiting ranking predicts that they will. Certain coaches were dominant recruiters long before the advent of recruiting media. If they all disappeared... it is likely the same coaches would continue to find and sign elite talent. If you could somehow keep secret which programs were pursuing which recruits then the sites would be even more inaccurate than they are.

Last point, the recruiting sites always hedge themselves. They aren't trying to slap a 4* label on every player in the country with 4* talent. They artificially limit the number of 4/5* grades they hand out. This is extremely important. It makes them look more accurate than they actually are. Throwing 3* on most other D1 capable players allows them to avoid accountability when they miss.

IF they were actually accurate like some think then one year there would be 100 5* guys and another there might be 20. There might be 800 4* in one year and 250 in another. You would never see a Ricky Gibson or Emmanuel Mosley type of "3 star" surprise.

Again, sorry for the ramble.
Just curious, what did you mean by putting the word work in quotation marks?
Nothing personal toward you. I appreciate that you did put some of the facts toward the conversation. Not accusing you... but some take what you posted and make ridiculous conclusions like BOT's... that you "CANNOT win the NC without top 5 recruiting classes". He may try to worm out of it... but he's said it repeatedly.

I have not argued that the rankings are completely inaccurate or useless. I HAVE argued that there was more than enough 3* guys with 4/5* talent out there that if a coach is good enough at evals to find them... he can build a championship roster. BOT goes into a spasm over that simple, factual point.

The thing about that is that only a handful of programs have won the CPF. There have been MANY more whose recruiting was supposedly top 10 or even top 5 that didn't... didn't compete... and often weren't good football teams.

Agreed, and discussed much of that earlier in this thread;
Mostly due to mismanagement of good players, inability to hire a good coaching staff, and the inability to obtain a really good quarterback.
Of course, Jimbo Fisher and aTm was a great example of this type of team, but Fisher also underperformed with very high levels of talent at FSU, except for the Winston year.

The truth is that the recruiting sites are FOLLOWING not predicting. The fact that Saban, Smart, and Day sign lots of 5* guys has more to do with THEIR success on the field and a whole lot less with the ability of the fine folks at 247, On3, et al to first find the best players in the country and then compare them accurately to produce a list of the 500 players out of the many tens of thousands out there.

Now, watch this happen over the next few years assuming that there isn't a coaching change at UW or Michigan. Their "high 3*" will start getting a 4th star. They will start creeping up the rankings like Clemson did after winning the NC with supposedly the 11th best roster.

I'm rambling but it would be far more accurate to say that Saban and Smart know how to find talent and win championships than their recruiting ranking predicts that they will. Certain coaches were dominant recruiters long before the advent of recruiting media. If they all disappeared... it is likely the same coaches would continue to find and sign elite talent. If you could somehow keep secret which programs were pursuing which recruits then the sites would be even more inaccurate than they are.

Agreed, and also discussed some of that earlier in this thread, based on some good comments from other posters. You add some additional good insight and thoughts into the rankings processes.

Last point, the recruiting sites always hedge themselves. They aren't trying to slap a 4* label on every player in the country with 4* talent. They artificially limit the number of 4/5* grades they hand out. This is extremely important. It makes them look more accurate than they actually are. Throwing 3* on most other D1 capable players allows them to avoid accountability when they show out.

IF they were actually accurate like some think then one year there would be 100 5* guys and another there might be 20. There might be 800 4* in one year and 250 in another. You would never see a Ricky Gibson or Emmanuel Mosley type of "3 star" surprise.

What is interesting though is that a team which is comprised of >50% of 3* players (i.e. a composite average recruit score of ~88 or less) rarely makes the CFP, and if they happen to make it, they usually get slaughtered.
----->TCU fell into this category in 2022, as well as Washington in 2016, and MichSt in 2015, and they all got slaughtered. Washington again falls into this category this year, and it will be really interesting to see how they fare in a few days.

Which simply means that Saban/Smart/Day/etc have scooped up most of the highly-talented players (which are assigned as 4* and 5* because they were offered by Bama, Georgia, etc, as you allude), and rarely is there an extremely talented young coach out there with a great eye for diamond-in-the-rough talent to piece together a championship-caliber team by identifying enough diamond-in-the-rough 3* players (who can nearly-immediately play on the 4* or 5* level) and/or by coaching up normal 3* players to a higher potential.
----->If Washington competes with Michigan in the CFP this year, then it will qualify as one of those extremely rare cases.

So for short-term CFP-predicting purposes, even though the recruiting scores are biased and influenced by Saban/Smart/Day's success, we can say with fairly high accuracy that a team with a composite talent score of </= 88% is not going have a shot at winning the CFP. This is where the "biased" recruit services can still be used as a reasonable predictor. And I think this is why we get wailing and gnashing of teeth on this forum with Vols recruiting in the past decade, where the Vols had been living with a composite talent score of around 88.

It becomes more of a gray area when teams begin snag players that Saban/Smart were targeting, and end up with a composite talent score in the 89-90 range.
That is when we see a 2016/2018 Clemson or 2023 Michigan arrive on the scene for the CFP every now and then, because they managed to get a few of those players that were targeted by Smart/Saban/etc, along with a really good QB and very good coaching, and maybe with a bit of luck along the way.

Since we finally have a good coach and a great QB in Nico, AND our composite recruiting score has now finally crept above 89, and might be near or above 90 after the 2024 cycle closes, we are finally seeing a glimmer of hope for being able to compete on the CFP level.

So whereas the recruiting services indicated in past years that we really didn't stand a chance for making, or competing, in the CFP, those same recruiting services are indicating that we are finally entering the able-to-compete territory (although, of course, it is not a given that we will).

Nothing personal toward you. I appreciate that you did put some of the facts toward the conversation. Not accusing you... but some take what you posted and make ridiculous conclusions like BOT's... that you "CANNOT win the NC without top 5 recruiting classes". He may try to worm out of it... but he's said it repeatedly.

No worries, and no offense taken; just curious.

I have not argued that the rankings are completely inaccurate or useless. I HAVE argued that there was more than enough 3* guys with 4/5* talent out there that if a coach is good enough at evals to find them... he can build a championship roster. BOT goes into a spasm over that simple, factual point.
Agreed, that the services are not completely useless or inaccurate.
And agreed about the 3* vs 4/5*, but with the caveat that an avg team recruit score of around </=88 seems to be the threshold that no coach has ever been able overcome in recent history for competing for a NC.

Based on history, these trends tend to be true (regardless of whether the recruiting services build in bias from successful programs):
1) Top 5 recruiting classes don't guarantee making the CFP, or winning the CFP.

2) A team can win a NC without recurring Top 5 recruiting classes, although it helps to have them.

3) It is extremely rare, unusual, and historically non-existent for a team with a composite recruiting score below ~88 to be able to win (and even compete well) in the CFP. If Washington wins or even doesn't get blown out this year, then they will have bucked this historical trend.

4) A team with a team composite recruiting score in the "transition region" of 89-90 has on occasion, and still can, compete and win the CFP IF they have the right pieces in place.

Last edited:
What is interesting though is that a team which is comprised of >50% of 3* players (i.e. a composite average recruit score of ~88 or less) rarely makes the CFP, and if they happen to make it, they usually get slaughtered.
----->TCU fell into this category in 2022, as well as Washington in 2016, and MichSt in 2015, and they all got slaughtered. Washington again falls into this category this year, and it will be really interesting to see how they fare in a few days.
The problem with that line of reasoning is that most of the teams with MORE than 50% 4/5* players don't make the CFP also. We are still down to a handful of teams and until this year really UGA or Bama for a while. Another strike against the recruiting rankings is that the further they get from a select 2 to 5 teams... the less accurate they are. Watching who Bama, UGA, OSU, and a few others pursue and prioritize is not that hard. Looking at most of the guys they give 5* to isn't that hard. They're often just freakish. But it gets really, really murky once they start dividing 4* from 3*.

All that the stuff we've talked about has really proven is that Bama, UGA, and OSU know how to find and sign talent. The recruiting sites are just copying their work. They aren't reliably predictive when it comes to everyone else.
Which simply means that Saban/Smart/Day/etc have scooped up most of the highly-talented players (which are assigned as 4* and 5* because they were offered by Bama, Georgia, etc, as you allude), and rarely is there an extremely talented young coach out there with a great eye for diamond-in-the-rough talent to piece together a championship-caliber team by identifying enough diamond-in-the-rough 3* players (who can nearly-immediately play on the 4* or 5* level) and/or by coaching up normal 3* players to a higher potential.
----->If Washington competes with Michigan in the CFP this year, then it will qualify as one of those extremely rare cases.
Glad you see BOT's circular reasoning that clearly. But the possibility is there for someone to find enough of those underrated guys to build a championship team.
So for short-term CFP-predicting purposes, even though the recruiting scores are biased and influenced by Saban/Smart/Day's success, we can say with fairly high accuracy that a team with a composite talent score of </= 88% is not going have a shot at winning the CFP. This is where the "biased" recruit services can still be used as a reasonable predictor. And I think this is why we get wailing and gnashing of teeth on this forum, where the Vols had been living around a composite talent score of around 88 for much of the past decade.
Well, no. Circular reasoning is not proof of anything which is what you've summarized here. And... this year in two different ways throws a wrench in that idea. According to the composite, Bama was the most talented team in the country this year. I don't think they looked like it at all. In fact they looked vulnerable even before Michigan. Neither UGA nor OSU made the CFP. A&M nor Clemson came close. The two teams left standing aren't top 10 according to 247 and frankly Michigan looked like they were physically dominating Bama.

All the rankings are predicting is that guys like Saban are elite coaches and recruiters. You don't need all the window dressing to know that.
It becomes more of a gray area when teams begin snag players that Saban/Smart were targeting, and end up with a composite talent score in the 89-90 range.
That is when we see a 2016/2018 Clemson or 2023 Michigan arrive on the scene for the CFP every now and then, because they managed to get a few of those players that were targeted by Smart/Saban/etc, along with a really good QB and very good coaching, and maybe with a bit of luck along the way.
But that's not particularly what either did. No one is taking a bunch of the guys that Saban/Smart target. Neither of the playoff games this year were "luck". The better team won both of them. And talent was at worst on par.
Since we finally have a good coach and a great QB in Nico, AND our composite recruiting score has now finally crept above 89, and might be near or above 90 after the 2024 cycle closes, we are finally seeing a glimmer of hope for being able to compete on the CFP level.

So whereas the recruiting services indicated in past years that we really didn't stand a chance for making, or competing, in the CFP, those same recruiting services are indicating that we are finally entering the able-to-compete territory (although, of course, it is not a given that we will).
UT's shot at getting in the picture depends a lot more on whether they're getting quality from their 3* signees than any of that. If Telander for instance develops into a top shelf LB along side Carter... then that's what success looks like. If they do... then the recruiting sites will tip their hat and folks like BOT can finally be happy that UT is getting consistent top 10 classes.... whether that means they're getting more talent or not.

I don't think it is unreasonable to argue that Clemson is getting less talent now than before the recruiting sites loved them. Dabo found a formula and some underrated guys.

That 89 score btw seems arbitrary and a little too convenient.

For my part, I think the rankings have general value not specific accuracy. You wouldn't have a hard time convincing me that the #7 ranked class is more talented than #30. There is a high likelihood that it is and specifically because the ratings are so heavily influenced by who the top programs and recruiters prioritize. However, I am not surprised at all that #14 Michigan looked more talented than #1 Bama. I think that's well within the margin of error.

By my estimation, UK and Stoops are about the top end of what you can expect from a coach who gets solid 3* players but cannot compete for the guys top teams want most.
No worries, and no offense taken; just curious.

Agreed, that the services are not completely useless or inaccurate.
And agreed about the 3* vs 4/5*, but with the caveat that an avg team recruit score of around </=88 seems to be the threshold that no coach has ever been able overcome in recent history for competing for a NC.

Based on history, these trends tend to be true (regardless of whether the recruiting services build in bias from successful programs):
1) Top 5 recruiting classes don't guarantee making the CFP, or winning the CFP.

2) A team can win a NC without recurring Top 5 recruiting classes, although it helps to have them.

3) It is extremely rare, unusual, and historically non-existent for a team with a composite recruiting score below ~88 to be able to win (and even compete well) in the CFP. If Washington wins or even doesn't get blown out this year, then they will have bucked this historical trend.

4) A team with a team composite recruiting score in the "transition region" of 89-90 has on occasion, and still can, compete and win the CFP IF they have the right pieces in place.
Still kind of missing the forest for the trees... Only 5 different teams have won the CFP. OSU, Clemson, LSU, then Bama and UGA multiple times. Dozens of teams have met that 88-89 threshold and obviously not had the talent to win the NC. Several have had losing records.

It still looks a lot like the recruiting sites are recognizing the skills of Saban et al and the rest is a lot more just guess work.

Some of our thoughts are starting to diverge at this point, so I will pass on doing another large round of essays.

But I will mention that the ~89 score is not arbitrary and convenient.
In the CFP era up until today, which team with a team composite score of ~88 or less has ever competed well in the NC game?
The answer is none. Most get blown out before ever reaching the NC game.
Not to say that it CANNOT happen, but history shows that up until now, it has not happened.

Therefore, based on history, >~89 is not an arbitrary value as a threshold to determine what teams could be capable (although not guaranteed) of making it to, and competing well in the NC game.
Therefore, based on history, <~88 is not an arbitrary value as a threshold to determine what teams are NOT capable of making it to, and competing well in the NC game.

If you don't like 88 as the threshold, just use 87 or 86 or 85. At some point there IS a threshold that determines that a team just doesn't have the horsepower to compete well in an NC game, regardless of how clever the coach is. But up until now, history has shown that the threshold value is about 88.

Last edited:
Reactions: walkenvol
Clemson won 2x, once while they were #9 and once while #6 in the team composite rankings. This year either #14 or #26 will win.

So 3x since the inception of the playoffs.

33.33% of the time, you do NOT need to be bringing in top 5 classes to win a NC.

On average, a non-top 5 talent team has won the NC every 3 years.
Here's a tighter correlation than class rankings to NCs:

1704491062147.png

The problem with that line of reasoning is that most of the teams with MORE than 50% 4/5* players don't make the CFP also. We are still down to a handful of teams and until this year really UGA or Bama for a while. Another strike against the recruiting rankings is that the further they get from a select 2 to 5 teams... the less accurate they are. Watching who Bama, UGA, OSU, and a few others pursue and prioritize is not that hard. Looking at most of the guys they give 5* to isn't that hard. They're often just freakish. But it gets really, really murky once they start dividing 4* from 3*.

All that the stuff we've talked about has really proven is that Bama, UGA, and OSU know how to find and sign talent. The recruiting sites are just copying their work. They aren't reliably predictive when it comes to everyone else.

Glad you see BOT's circular reasoning that clearly. But the possibility is there for someone to find enough of those underrated guys to build a championship team.

Well, no. Circular reasoning is not proof of anything which is what you've summarized here. And... this year in two different ways throws a wrench in that idea. According to the composite, Bama was the most talented team in the country this year. I don't think they looked like it at all. In fact they looked vulnerable even before Michigan. Neither UGA nor OSU made the CFP. A&M nor Clemson came close. The two teams left standing aren't top 10 according to 247 and frankly Michigan looked like they were physically dominating Bama.

All the rankings are predicting is that guys like Saban are elite coaches and recruiters. You don't need all the window dressing to know that.

But that's not particularly what either did. No one is taking a bunch of the guys that Saban/Smart target. Neither of the playoff games this year were "luck". The better team won both of them. And talent was at worst on par.

UT's shot at getting in the picture depends a lot more on whether they're getting quality from their 3* signees than any of that. If Telander for instance develops into a top shelf LB along side Carter... then that's what success looks like. If they do... then the recruiting sites will tip their hat and folks like BOT can finally be happy that UT is getting consistent top 10 classes.... whether that means they're getting more talent or not.

I don't think it is unreasonable to argue that Clemson is getting less talent now than before the recruiting sites loved them. Dabo found a formula and some underrated guys.

That 89 score btw seems arbitrary and a little too convenient.

For my part, I think the rankings have general value not specific accuracy. You wouldn't have a hard time convincing me that the #7 ranked class is more talented than #30. There is a high likelihood that it is and specifically because the ratings are so heavily influenced by who the top programs and recruiters prioritize. However, I am not surprised at all that #14 Michigan looked more talented than #1 Bama. I think that's well within the margin of error.

By my estimation, UK and Stoops are about the top end of what you can expect from a coach who gets solid 3* players but cannot compete for the guys top teams want most.

Still kind of missing the forest for the trees... Only 5 different teams have won the CFP. OSU, Clemson, LSU, then Bama and UGA multiple times. Dozens of teams have met that 88-89 threshold and obviously not had the talent to win the NC. Several have had losing records.

It still looks a lot like the recruiting sites are recognizing the skills of Saban et al and the rest is a lot more just guess work.
Good stuff.

Also:

1704491908453.png

Has Washington been top 5 recruiting the last few years? I looked and Washington was 90th last year and 30th the year before. Might be getting a natty. They have a great QB and so do we. Anything is possible when you have a stud with the ball each play.

The thing about that is that only a handful of programs have won the CPF. There have been MANY more whose recruiting was supposedly top 10 or even top 5 that didn't... didn't compete... and often weren't good football teams. This year's "top 10" in the composite were Bama, UGA, and OSU. After that, you have A&M, Clemson, Texas, LSU, USCw, OU, and Oregon. All good teams but I don't think you can make the claim that they're distinctly more talented and definitely not more successful on the field than teams 10 or 20 spots behind them.

If BOT's faith in the rankings was "true" then there would be no reason to play games. You could compare recruiting rankings and mail the results in.

Last point, the recruiting sites always hedge themselves. They aren't trying to slap a 4* label on every player in the country with 4* talent. They artificially limit the number of 4/5* grades they hand out. This is extremely important. It makes them look more accurate than they actually are. Throwing 3* on most other D1 capable players allows them to avoid accountability when they miss.

Again, sorry for the ramble.

Agree with some of what you wrote but disagree with this. The five stars are meant to correlate to the first round of the NFL draft. There will always be 32 first round draft picks in the NFL even though some years have a better array of "first round" talent and some years are down years. But there are still 32. Same with 5* for the recruiting sites. The 30th best player in 2020 may be the 40th best player in 2021, but he is still drafted in the first round of the 2020 draft.

The 30th best high school player in 2020 may have been worse than the 40th best high school player in 2021 but he will still get the 5th star in 2020.

The one thing that is certain is that the better talent that you have (more 4 and stars), the better your chances at winning a natty. That's just facts. One monkey wrench in this is the transfer portal. We still don't have a good handle on that yet. Stay in the top 15 in recruiting year in and year out, and stay in the blue chip ratio (at least 50 percent of your players are 4 and star players) and good things will happen. I think this may be the first year in a while (2024) we have been in the blue chip ratio.

Like many here, I like to look at the average recruit score over a year's recruiting class instead of the total composite score on 247Sports.

The past several to many national championship teams have had an average recruit score of 93-95, with an occasional 91 or 92. Except for 2016 Clemson (89 avg entire roster score), this has been true without exception in the past decade or more.

The Vols average recruit score over the past many years has hovered in the 85.9 to 90.9 range. Historically, just not enough depth of talent to take us to a championship.

Looks like Heupel has us on the right track though. His 2023 class was 90.9 and the 2024 class is looking to close in the 92-93 range (if we get almost any combination of the remaining players on EricVol's post on the Upcoming Targets Page, Running list of Tennessee targets planned commitment dates

Normally it takes a few years of recruiting in the 92-95 range to get the depth and talent necessary for a championship. Although 2024 will be our first year in that range in a long time, it is possible with Heupel's coaching that we get to a championship this year or next. However, if Heupel continues this trend, combined with good coaching, we should be in the mix for several years to come.

Historic graph for the Vols is below.

Things are looking much brighter. Go Vols.

View attachment 564836
Isn’t it amazing what NOT having NCAA violations pending against you & some success on the field can have?

I’m still shocked at how many Vol fans expect recruiting results in ‘21 & ‘22 like we were still in the late 90s.

VN Store

Back