Heupel and the draft

I think I need you guys to walk me off the ledge a little. It does not appear we will hear our beloved Tennessee mentioned tonight for round 2 and 3 of the draft. That means under Heupel we have had one first rounder (Darnell Wright), one 2nd rounder (Alontae Taylor) and a handful of 3rd rounders (Hooker, Hyatt, Tillman, Young and Jones). Is it just that he inherited a team with the cup boards empty? Does it affect recruiting if we do not put a bunch of guys in the higher draft rounds?
It’s really quite simple. Heupel had very little talent here. He’s taken 2 castaway QBs and both of them have ended up getting drafted so you need to not just step back, but take a giant leap from the ledge. He’s doing more with less.

Everyone knew Wright was NFL when he came here. Very few like him were left on the roster.

Reactions: knox73
Have we ever had back to back drafts with top 5 selections? We could possibly do that starting next year with Pearce and the next with Nico if everything goes right

I think I need you guys to walk me off the ledge a little. It does not appear we will hear our beloved Tennessee mentioned tonight for round 2 and 3 of the draft. That means under Heupel we have had one first rounder (Darnell Wright), one 2nd rounder (Alontae Taylor) and a handful of 3rd rounders (Hooker, Hyatt, Tillman, Young and Jones). Is it just that he inherited a team with the cup boards empty? Does it affect recruiting if we do not put a bunch of guys in the higher draft rounds?
Relax, a year from now we probably have a top 5 pick. Probably 6-8 guys drafted in total. We were gonna have quite a few to get drafted, except that 4-5 draftable guys decided to come back. That’s a great thing. We have an outside shot at double digit draft picks next year.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
You guys did a great job walking me off the edge and when you look at the big board 3 is still respectable.

You know who might want to hit the panic button though? Florida. One player drafted. Florida who resides in a state that consistently produces the most blue chip recruits. Florida who is only about 2 hours from IMG Academy. That Florida only had one player drafted. Yes, I am enjoying this.

Reactions: LouderVol
You guys did a great job walking me off the edge and when you look at the big board 3 is still respectable.

You know who might want to hit the panic button though? Florida. One player drafted. Florida who resides in a state that consistently produces the most blue chip recruits. Florida who is only about 2 hours from IMG Academy. That Florida only had one player drafted. Yes, I am enjoying this.
Doesn’t matter. They will still keep beating us even if they only have a roster full of pop Warner players 😳

Man, not being smart, but, “where have you been?”

Haven’t had the Jimmys and Joes for a while, getting there though.

(These are the draft years, not the CFB season years)
2009: 1 (first round)
2010: 6 (2 first round, second round, fourth round, two fifth rounds)
2011: 2 (fourth and fifth)
2012: 1 (fifth)
2013: 4 (First, second, third, sixth)
2014: 3 (first, two sixths)
2015: 0
2016: 0
2017 6 (first, 2 thirds, 3 fourths)
2018: 3 (third, two 6ths)
2019: 0
2020: 2 (second, 7th)
2021: 2 (third, 6th)
Post Fulmer to Pre Heupel:
-30 total over 13 years
-Avg: 2.3 per year.
-3 years with 0 players drafted, including 2 back to back
-Avg: 3.667 round

Heupel:
2022: 5 (second, third, fifth, 2 sixths)
2023: 5 (First, 4 thirds)
2024: 3 (fourth, two 6ths)
-13 over 3 years. That is ALMOST HALF of the total draft picks as the previous 13 years in only 3 years.
-Avg: 4.33 per year
-Avg: 3.9 round
-his two 5 player drafts would have tied for third largest draft class over that time.
-6 of those guys were guys Heupel is directly responsible for bringing in. I think his recruiting is just fine. Next year will be the real test. Wright was one of only 3 true Juniors left that signed at UT as freshman.
-Back to back QBs drafted, its been a while since we did that.
-To find another three year period where we had players drafted each year you would have to go all the way back to 2012-2014.

next year we are looking at a bumper crop, and we are looking at guys almost exclusively brought in by Heupel. Pearce, McCoy, Thomas are pretty much locks imo. White, Thornton, Sampson, Mays, Spraggins, Campbell, Lott, Keenan, and some other guys could also play there way into consideration.

now all of these guys won't be drafted. 11, is crazy. but 7-8 isn't outside the realm of possibility. especially if we have a good year and get some hype behind these guys.

So what you are saying is Heupel is winning in spite of having players who aren't NFL talent.

Imagine when he has NFL talent.

Reactions: HooahVol

VN Store

Back