Heupel and the draft

I think I need you guys to walk me off the ledge a little. It does not appear we will hear our beloved Tennessee mentioned tonight for round 2 and 3 of the draft. That means under Heupel we have had one first rounder (Darnell Wright), one 2nd rounder (Alontae Taylor) and a handful of 3rd rounders (Hooker, Hyatt, Tillman, Young and Jones). Is it just that he inherited a team with the cup boards empty? Does it affect recruiting if we do not put a bunch of guys in the higher draft rounds?
Think of it like this. We’ve won 20 games combined the last 2 years and only 1 guy drafted in the first round . How much talent has Bama, LSU, Clemson and others put in the League and how are we vs them. We will be just fine .

Look at the QBs that went 1st round. No way Hooker wouldn't have been a 1st round pick without the injury. In some cases we're fighting stereotypes though due to the offense we run being so different. 15 years ago spread offenses we're considered "mickey mouse offenses", then it was RPOs, now it's stacked WRs, wide splits, and tempo. The NFL is incorporating spread, and RPOs now. Soon some of what we do will follow. People are afraid of what they don't understand.
The last two recruiting classes for Heupel will be providing a lot of NFL draftees here in a few years. Nico started the feeding frenzy and the just completed class (finally free of the NCAA Cloud and negative recruiting) was the first full harvest. That is why it was 💯 necessary that the State and the school immediately filed suit against the NCAA to halt the devious Nico harassment investigation. That was the NCAA trying to hobble our growth for another decade. They see what Heupel is accomplishing and some of our opposing SEC staff wanted to shut it down HARD. I expect someone with a name sounding a lot like Sick Naban was leading the charge (and still is behind the scenes)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vol865
I think I need you guys to walk me off the ledge a little. It does not appear we will hear our beloved Tennessee mentioned tonight for round 2 and 3 of the draft. That means under Heupel we have had one first rounder (Darnell Wright), one 2nd rounder (Alontae Taylor) and a handful of 3rd rounders (Hooker, Hyatt, Tillman, Young and Jones). Is it just that he inherited a team with the cup boards empty? Does it affect recruiting if we do not put a bunch of guys in the higher draft rounds?
We have a guy that’s about to take over the motor city...soon👀

I'd say it's more of the latter than the former. He'd have many more draft picks if it weren't for the mass exodus of players post-Pruitt. We should be fine in the coming years considering the talent we have now: Pearce (should be a 1st rounder), Sampson (whose game translates very well to the NFL), McCoy (might not be a high pick, but will be drafted), Mays, Thomas, etc.

Pearce could be a top 3 pick. Even though teams value offense much more. He is that good.

Yes. He inherited a roster with 30 guys leaving & a complete buffoon running the program for 3 yrs prior. In addition his first 2 classes were impacted with NCAA major penalties pending. I’m shocked we’re still having to explain these facts to people.

The recruiting now is on level with what Fulmer was doing in the 90s but it will take a couple years before you’ll start to see it in the draft. You’ll hear Vol names called next year barring injuries.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Tennessee lost 35 players from transfers to suspensions to lost scholarships from the Pruitt mess, from Sept. of 2020 until Jan. 2021. We lost more players through attrition than most schools do with probation and lost scholarships for 3-years. What Coach Heupel has done here is a major miracle. I will be the first to say I never dreamed he would be 27-12 after 3 years. We have been blessed with a hardworking, intelligent coach who loves UT. The NFL caliber players are in the near future.

Gotta question the picks...Ladd McConkey???? Really??? Also, last year with Anthony Richardson. Not one single Vol yet??? Just plain weird, but maybe they will all be like Tom Brady and Alvin Kamera.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We got several that are going to get drafted next year. GBO
A lot of talent I’m excited we got James Pearce going number one overall we have another one in Nico I feel too In my opinion but lots of talent coming in we just got to keep it going with talent

I can't believe the low number of RBs taken . Seems like every tackle and Wr in college football have been taken so far. As I recall, only 3 RBs so far. After very pick they flash a list of top picks remaining on the board and no RBs. It's crazy...

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
i think the knock on heupel players is that some people try to claim that his offense is smoke and mirrors and does not translate straight to the NFL. personally, i think talent is talent and this idea that heupel is some kind of system coach will be overcome when he gets more talented players who just ball out

Reactions: Fightmaker
I can't believe the low number of RBs taken . Seems like every tackle and Wr in college football have been taken so far. As I recall, only 3 RBs so far. After very pick they flash a list of top picks remaining on the board and no RBs. It's crazy...
After 3 rounds, only 4RBs. I think Wright has to be next. Someone is getting a good deal.

Look at the QBs that went 1st round. No way Hooker wouldn't have been a 1st round pick without the injury. In some cases we're fighting stereotypes though due to the offense we run being so different. 15 years ago spread offenses we're considered "mickey mouse offenses", then it was RPOs, now it's stacked WRs, wide splits, and tempo. The NFL is incorporating spread, and RPOs now. Soon some of what we do will follow. People are afraid of what they don't understand.
Yeah and I think each draft takes on a life of it's own. No way any more than 3 QBs should have been taken in top 15 and no way defense players should have fallen that far. I think you're right. Hooker would have been no worse than maybe fourth QB taken this year and teams who didn't hit the panic button on QB picked up amazing talent that shouldn't have been there when they were picked.

Reactions: Vol865
RB will get you big man on campus in HS or College and maybe the top cheerleader, but the NFL has decided it's a second thought position. With all the hits you absorb they know some will just have 2 to 3 years to put up numbers. Then it's off to the next RB and/or a lot of teams do it by committee with no so-called star, relying mostly on passing game.

Basically an entire recruiting class was missed with the Pruitt fallout. Still kind of feeling the effects of that I believe, but there's a lot of great young talent on the team now.

and now many, many teams are losing an entire recruiting class to the portal. Gonna happen every year too. I thought it might be a few years down the road but its happening this year.

and now many, many teams are losing an entire recruiting class to the portal. Gonna happen every year too. I thought it might be a few years down the road but its happening this year.
Pruitt's departure and the attendant player departures/rumored ineligibIity would have been much more devastating in days gone by. Alot of folks don't realize we actually got pretty lucky to have that happen at that exact moment in time (if it had to happen at all) because we could replace players more easily than you ever could before.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat

VN Store

Back