Heupel compared to Kiffin and Sanders on team culture

People much smarter than Sanders say culture eats strategy for breakfast.

It’s true that you need great players, but a cohesive team of great players who play under a shared vision of team success will beat a bunch of great individuals more focused on self promotion 9 times out of 10.

The challenge is getting great players who put team first over self.

Reactions: KHVol
You can tell by what Sanders said, he is bringing that old school mentality to it. One of the reasons why he won’t really be successful in college football.
To Sanders' credit, it appears he is trying to do the right thing about the situation. Too many lack the guts to even try to do the right thing.
Even worse is the folks who INSIST on hating him expose themselves as evil creatures who just love kicking a man when he' down, and trying to correct his missteps. Usually, such creatures dare to refer to themselves as belonging to some pious affiliation or another. I pity humanity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vol Catdaddy
Culture is nice if you are winning, if you are losing then it gets thrown in butch Jones’s turnover garbage can with Derek Dooley’s orange dog..

Reactions: onthehill71
Ben Franklin is the primary driver of college football culture these days. Once that fact is understood a reality based culture can be formed.

As a cultural anthropologist by training, I must confess that these arguments drive me up a tree. There is not a football coach in the country that has a clue what culture truly is. The concepts to which they allude barely even scratch the surface, let alone the breadth, of what culture entails. Culture, by definition, is far more than a small cluster of specific core values shared by members of a particular group. In a best-case scenario, coaches try to establish the athletic equivalent of military esprit de corps, a “feeling of loyalty and pride that is shared by the members of a group who consider themselves to be different from other people in some special way.”

Conceptually, the constituent elements of culture are so numerous and all-encompassing that cultural anthropologists have never adopted a singular definition that is universally agreed upon. Nevertheless, the definition advanced by the pioneering English Anthropologist Edward B. Tylor in 1871 remains highly illustrative. Tylor said that culture is "that complex whole which includes knowledge, belief, art, law, morals, custom, and any other capabilities and habits acquired by man as a member of society."

Having said that, Tylor’s definition didn’t address material culture at all. The devices that we use to communicate with each other on this forum, the clothes that we wear, the vehicles that we drive, the tools that we use and, on the athletic field, the various implements used in competition, training and components worn by the Big Orange all qualify as falling under the umbrella of material culture, as opposed to the ideational traits that Tylor emphasized.

Language, however, is ultimately the communication medium through which all other cultural traits emerge and evolve over time.

With respect, however, to the comparison made in the original post, Heupel’s approach is the most conducive to sustained long-term success, all other things being equal in terms of player recruitment and development.
What he said…….I was thinking the same thing……🤔

Reactions: #1fulmerite
People much smarter than Sanders say culture eats strategy for breakfast.

It’s true that you need great players, but a cohesive team of great players who play under a shared vision of team success will beat a bunch of great individuals more focused on self promotion 9 times out of 10.

The challenge is getting great players who put team first over self.

I agree completely with the essence of what you are saying, but it still does not constitute culture writ large. As a military officer, Neyland would have been a master at building esprit de corps. . His surviving maxims are the seven sacred strategic commandments of Tennessee football, but they too do not qualify as culture in the broadest and most accurate sense of the word.

As a cultural anthropologist by training, I must confess that these arguments drive me up a tree. There is not a football coach in the country that has a clue what culture truly is. The concepts to which they …..

Well done, VR. I gave you a like just for your ability to espouse your learned art. Now if anyone wants to discuss the nuances of electromagnetic field theory or whether or not electrical current is a process of electron flow or hole flow, then I’m your man (BS-EE, ‘83). 🧐. Go Vols!!!

VN Store

Back