Heupel Doubts or No?

He’s not Saban. He’s not Smart. I guess CJH is just doing the best he can. Mediocrity lives on Rockytop.

2 TD passes that could have been caught and one wide open over throw that would have been a TD. A trip into the red zone late that was a turn over on downs. One Milton could have scored if he ran……..that’s a lot of points left on the field that says it shouldn’t have been a blowout.

But it was another blowout loss.

I think I'm more concerned for the fans on here that were feeling so good last year about CJH and now, after losing last years starting QB and having 1(incase numbers aren't your thing, one) QB on scholarship that wasn't a freshman on the roster I'm reading these comments.Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we don't know what goes on behind closed doors , but if Nico wasn't ready this year then I am glad he wasn't thrown to the wolves. Oh woe is us we may only finish at 9-4 this year, I would have been very happy with the wins the last 2 years when looking at where we were when he took over but you do you.I just want to say I feel better about this team than I do some of the fans on here. Here's an idea, if you can't be happy with a 9 win team after what we've been through the last decade or so, pick your team after week 10 every year and be a winner. GBO

Reactions: Orangeslice13
No. There’s not anything more to it than that. We got blown out by lesser teams (per recruiting rankings) plus we’re weren’t competitive against the better teams.
If that’s how you evaluated your business you’d have gone broke a long time ago.

Unfortunately, yes. The loyalty to a sub-par QB, the questionable decisions to go for it in several 4th down situations this season, the stupid field goal attempts vs. Mizzou and Georgia, the obfuscation around player injuries, the repetitive coach speak and innocuous platitudes in every post game presser/interview, undisciplined play, etc. all give me serious Butch Jones vibes...and I don't like how it makes me feel at all.

Reactions: loservol
If that’s how you evaluated your business you’d have gone broke a long time ago.

I have no clue what you’re talking about. If we weren’t competitive and losing bids to lesser unqualified companies we would have gone broke.

We have seen Heupel's ceiling. This is all he will ever be. Good enough to get by and to a bowl but not good enough to compete for championships.

It sure beats losing for over 20 years but at some point you have to think that you are better than that and that you deserve better and that you shouldn't settle with just getting by.

Has the regression this season caused you to have any doubts about Heupel and his future? In my case, the answer is yes, sort of. I did not think we would see 3 disheartening losses in year 3 of this staff but here we are. I am NOT calling for Heupel's head but I wonder if I'm alone in hearing a little voice in my head that says "this may not be what we thought it was going to be." I hope I'm wrong but I have some experience with the little voice. I have learned to not ignore it.
I thought after last year that his offensive genius would outshine his sloppy undisciplined nature...I was wrong. he's in over his head, him trotting out the fg kicker the last 2 games is butch level idiotic. not to mention his refusal to give niko any playing time.

I have no clue what you’re talking about. If we weren’t competitive and losing bids to lesser unqualified companies we would have gone broke.
Ignore the components to make a decision on emotion isn’t an effective strategy

So you say the blow out is what matters…..
Let’s say the 2 passes that hit receivers in the hands for TDs that should have been caught were caught. And the wide open receiver is also hit for the TD……then you’re happy because they lost by 7 and it’s not a blowout?

Reactions: DuckInAPen
When CJH was hired nearly 3 years ago, everyone here would have been thrilled if we were told he would win 8 games in year.
3. Especially given the state of the program at the time.

He’s not Saban. He’s not Smart. I guess CJH is just doing the best he can. Mediocrity lives on Rockytop.
You do realize that Nick Saban is possibly the best college coach of all time, right?

You realize that Kirby Smart may very well Natty 3-peat which hasn't been done in about 80 years?

So yeah, Heupel might very well not be one of the greatest college coaches of all time but aren't you setting the "mediocrity" bar a little high?

Adjustments, plan B, discipline, fire on the sideline....I don't see any of that. He looks and acts like a deer caught in the headlights at time.

Next year will be key for me. Heup was able to take Hooker and turn him into 5th on the Heisman list. He had Joe next, a guy with all of the natural traits to be a giant on the field, but was seemingly more interested in dancing in between breaks than rallying up his side. Hooker was a motivator. From what I have heard about Nico, he is the same. Joe, unfortunately was more talk than walk. If Nico can catch fire early next year, the defense can take more steps, and they can clean up the discipline issue, we may be having a different conversation this time next year. If not, I can see Heup's seat getting warm in 25 with some real pressure to repeat or best what the team accomplished in 2022.

Ignore the components to make a decision on emotion isn’t an effective strategy

So you say the blow out is what matters…..
Let’s say the 2 passes that hit receivers in the hands for TDs that should have been caught were caught. And the wide open receiver is also hit for the TD……then you’re happy because they lost by 7 and it’s not a blowout?

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts….

Results are the only thing that matters. So The Hype needs to start producing results or he needs to be out of business.

What if Saban was coaching this team this year? How much better do you think we'd be? I honestly don't think he could do a whole lot more with our roster than what CJH is doing. Saban might have played Nico but we don't know what kind of difference that would make.

When CJH was hired nearly 3 years ago, everyone here would have been thrilled if we were told he would win 8 games in year.
3. Especially given the state of the program at the time.
I'm tired of hearing this. I wouldn't have been happy and no one should be happy about getting blown out by our 3 biggest rivals and Mizzu in year-3. Last year was great. This year sucked. Face it.

To me, Heupel has never seemed like he was excited to be here. Does he suffer from depression, or some other health issue? Everything seems to be difficult for him...or unnecessary. I hope he's not in pain or has a secret illness. Something's not quite right!

What if Saban was coaching this team this year? How much better do you think we'd be? I honestly don't think he could do a whole lot more with our roster than what CJH is doing. Saban might have played Nico but we don't know what kind of difference that would make.

He wouldn’t have lost to FL and Mizzu

He’s not getting it done. Not being prepared to play Austin Peay said a lot. No in game adjustments on either side of the ball I’d very telling. Lack of discipline with all of the penalties even if refs do suck is concerning. I’m afraid he is a decent coach but too arrogant to make changes. Small was definitely banged up and motioned to come out. But the system says you stay in for the series and he did. Some of the 4th down decisions are scary. The system isn’t playing well, make some changes. If he does not make some changes with Assistant Coaches this off-season then we know we will not be. Playoff caliber team under his leadership. Need to see more. If Nico is a beast next year, I will be upset he never got a chance this year. I have seen some dumb stuff this season. Not impressed.

VN Store

Back