honestly nobody really excites me for the job

Every team wants the next Saban, Urban M, and Dabo but those guys are extremely rare to come by. Dabo isn’t Saban and I don’t think Urban is really interested in getting back in the game. Once Saban retires the college football world and expectations will somewhat normalize.

Exactly. Dabs was a “no name” listed as interim coach when Clemson fired their coach. Davao struggled and Clemson fans wanted him out of there. He hired the rt coordinators, began winning games and the recruiting took off.
Saban- Coach doe Toledo and ended up at Michigan St. Had winning records but never a NCAA title. Saban became well known @ LSU, esp after beating UT in 2001 in the SEC tittle game. Then he won the chip in 02 or 03.

I agree with the OP that there are a few big names out there, however, every elite coach has a beginning story to his career.

The only coach potentially available that is anywhere close to Saban, Meyer, or Swinney, is Chris Petersen. Tennessee ought to at least find out whether he has any interest in coaching again.

With that said, there are no guarantees regardless of who we hire. Look at Chip Kelly and Scott Frost right now. Davi Swinney had zero head coaching experience when he was hired by Clemson. Clemson found a diamond in the rough. We won’t know whether whoever we hire is the real deal for at least three or four years, maybe longer. Our new AD does have a favorable track record of picking coaches that have succeeded, so if he chooses Elliott or someone else that isn’t the splash hire that some people are wanting, I’m going to give him the benefit if the doubt.

In truth, if you look hard enough at ANY of these coaching candidates, there's holes to be found. This coach doesn't have the experience or that coach is too defensive minded. This coach uses too many catch-phrases or that coach scores points but his defenses suck. That coach is good at developing players but he's not a strong recruiter. That coach doesn't have enough southern ties.

In the end, no matter who we hire its a crapshoot. There are no guarantees to how a coach is going to respond to the meat grinder of the SEC.

Can't get Saban, Urban, Bob Stoops, GRUDEN, Kiffin or Freeze.
Nobody else really exciting or guaranteed to improve us fast.

How do you feel?

Then trust the elite AD we just hired for $1.8m/yr to make the right hire. He knows more about all of the candidates than any of us do.

I know it’s hard for us to fathom, but the man making this decision knows much more than we do about these coaches.

How do you feel?
Just a thought and a captain obvious question. Dont you have to go after someone with nfl and college experience to beat a georgia florida texas A&M. & maybe alabama in the future? Them coaches at them programs will not fear a up and coming or a first time head coach. Or a coach thats never coached at a Tennessee sec type level. Just a thought bouncing around in my head. I mean if theyre not going to hire a kiffin or freeze with a little shady past but would win at Tennesee..

How do you feel?
I know what you’re saying. Fifteen years or so of disappointing results tends to wear on a person. There is a feeling that somehow it just won’t turn out well. I don’t think I’m a Debbie downer but I have to admit I am not the eternal optimist either. This long term frustration just wears on everyone but hey, they may get it right. Tennessee just seems to be Charlie Brown on Halloween. We keep getting rocks.

I have no excitement left after Kiffen bailed. Every hire since then has been baffling and wholly underwhelming at the start. Pruitt almost got my pulse up, but his second year flat lined me.

That being said. I feel more certain that this hire will be successful than ever before. This DoA has a history that implies he knows what he is doing. I feel...... Relaxed. I'm not expecting a splash, or a thud. I believe whoever it is will succeed.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
This latest period of college football has actually ruined the true spirit of amateur sports. TV money and tv coverage has fans expecting a championship for ”their” team and it should be competing for one every year. Ala has ruined expectation. TV has made fans think a 9-3 season is just so so, and their team is nothing great. Everyone was going to be happy with Butch ( insert any name) if he could get Tenn competitive. He goes 9-3 and suddenly he had to do better.

This latest period of college football has actually ruined the true spirit of amateur sports. TV money and tv coverage has fans expecting a championship for ”their” team and it should be competing for one every year. Ala has ruined expectation. TV has made fans think a 9-3 season is just so so, and their team is nothing great. Everyone was going to be happy with Butch ( insert any name) if he could get Tenn competitive. He goes 9-3 and suddenly he had to do better.
He didn’t just “not do better”. He went 4-8 and had the first no SEC win season in Tennessee history.

Butch was a joke.

VN Store

Back