Horns down????

I still don't get it....yes I agree with most everything said in this thread but I still don't understand what is offensive about horns down....Is it something akin to gettin' it on with "yo momma"

Reactions: LadyVolette
Some of you people must be a blast to hang out with. I was making what I thought was a a pretty obvious joke about a factional character being Texas’s only resident who didn’t fit the description of a wimp, and you’re here acting like I’m just finding out Santa isn’t real. Humor is wasted in a nay on this board.
Nah man, my bad. I understood what you were doing, and I just failed miserably at an attempt to piggyback off your humor with jokes of my own. I’ll take my L.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
Better for them to stay offended than to let it be known they become offended when someone says that. I can imagine now that it is known Texas will see it everywhere in the SEC.

I wonder if this is a new sensitivity they have developed over the last 15 years? I lived there from 2000-2010 and don’t remember it being brought up as a topic by any of the many TAM, Tech, or OU fans that I knew. I certainly saw some TAM fans doing a horns down sign but I never remember a Texas fan saying anything about it.
This! If they just ignore it, it would have ALREADY gone away. Not smart to let everyone know you're snowflakes.

Reactions: LouderVol
This reminds me of when one of the Titans players stomped on a “terrible towel” after beating the Steelers, and Bill Cower, who was no longer the Steelers coach at the time, flipped out on the postgame show, and for the rest of the season, Steelers fans were whining about that incident.

I just kept thinking…it’s a towel…

Reactions: tbh
From my Longhorn friend who doesnt seem to be offended:

the Texas OU game is played in the Cotton Bowl and the Friday evening before the game there was a parade in downtown Dallas and when the Longhorn band came by the Texas fans would all have their "horns" (pinky and index finger up} and the OU fans gradually got into putting the same 2 fingers down. Horns down spread to other teams and fans. It became taunting for the opposing team to do it but what can you do about the fans.

This reminds me of when one of the Titans players stomped on a “terrible towel” after beating the Steelers, and Bill Cower, who was no longer the Steelers coach at the time, flipped out on the postgame show, and for the rest of the season, Steelers fans were whining about that incident.

51uKHfY+wfL._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpg

Perfect example of reasons why not to worry about stupid ****.

Texas should be more concerned about their performance on court or field instead of worrying about a stupid hand gesture..

Reactions: Pennheel
Can someone please explain to me why Texas is so offended by the horns down? Last week they got in a scuffle in the handshake line and the coach called the opposing team classless for doing it. And now this:

View attachment 615403

It just seems incredibly soft, they are going to have a hard time in the SEC being this soft. I think every road SEC venue will have a nice loud "Horns down" chant waiting for them.
Their fixing to get more than 'horns down' next year. Probably 'horns up' their arse in the SEC.

Advice for the newbies learn the words to Rocky Top, embrace the Gator chomp, get use to grown men barking at you, wearing noise reducing headsets while in Starkville, take binoculars to loveliest village on the plains easier to see the Eagle, etc

Last edited:

Pretty sure that was Chris Johnson.

This looks like a very familiar Tennessee Power T. We gave them Sam Houston and Davy Crockett with a few more Volunteers so they wouldn’t have to speak Spanish forever. We ain’t giving them our Power T. Go Vols!
View attachment 615506
I think that is copyright infringement there.. they bought the rights to the intertwined U and T in the early 90s from us.. before that it was on all of our merch.. I don’t think they can legally use the power T, that’s ours

I still don't get it....yes I agree with most everything said in this thread but I still don't understand what is offensive about horns down....Is it something akin to gettin' it on with "yo momma"
I think it’s ‘na na na na boo boo’ to them 😂

Reactions: Smokey X
Can someone please explain to me why Texas is so offended by the horns down? Last week they got in a scuffle in the handshake line and the coach called the opposing team classless for doing it. And now this:

View attachment 615403

It just seems incredibly soft, they are going to have a hard time in the SEC being this soft. I think every road SEC venue will have a nice loud "Horns down" chant waiting for them.
Because people are easily offended these days.

Reactions: malinoisvol
pretty sure the SEC has already ruled that hornsdown won't be a penalty like it was in the Big 12.

"Going from there, officials on the field will determine the punishments. Rather than just throwing a flag when they see the gesture, officials will judge each situation on its own in the context of the moment.

"There's a difference between a player giving a signal directly in the face of an opponent, as opposed to doing it with teammates celebrating after a touchdown or on the sideline," McDaid said. "To net all that out, every single occurrence is not an act of unsportsmanlike conduct."

I am fine treating it like other taunting, can't do it in their face, or directly to their sidelines while on the field of play. but no way the fans should be stopped.

Time to manufacture some Pantone 151 C shirts with the horns down symbol for first Real UT vs utjr game and I will make a killing.

Just like the folks selling the orange “I’m in love with a Hooker” shirt outside Neyland in 2022.

Reactions: hog88

VN Store

Back