How did UConn get so good?

volbound1700

I heard you need money in NIL era to win. They are NOT in B1G, SEC, or big money league. Why aren't teams throwing money at their players and coaches to transfer? How are they outrecruiting Michigan State, UK, Kansas, UNC, etc. from the bigger conferences?

UConn has very talented players, that play solid defense and can all score with some degree of regularity, with those types of players you can run different offensive sets and multiple defensive alignments, keep your opponents guessing rather than being somewhat predictable,

I heard you need money in NIL era to win. They are NOT in B1G, SEC, or big money league. Why aren't teams throwing money at their players and coaches to transfer? How are they outrecruiting Michigan State, UK, Kansas, UNC, etc. from the bigger conferences?
Tradition of winning is the 1B to NIL’s 1A. That’s your answer. There are still kids choosing to walk on to places like duke that could be scholarship players at other high major schools.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
Deep talent all over the floor and good coaching.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
Their coach is excellent. He motivates at a high level and his offense is really hard to defend. They are hungry for a repeat. He coaches with a chip on his shoulder as he always thinks he has to prove himself with his background with his Dad and Brother. I saw a story on him where he use to feel like he never measured up to his dad’s expectations. I’m a big fan of his. No one will outwork this guy!

Last edited:
They are the defacto NYC team these days and ESPN headquarters are there and they've helped them recruit in the past.
Yep. They recruit a different breed of player up there. Personally, I'd like to see more of those guys down here. I'll be curious to see how they play Edey and Purdue. I'm gonna guess their players won't turtle up. They might lose, but they'll go toe to toe against them.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
They are not outrecruiting KY, KU, Duke, UNC, etc. They have just successfully used the portal to add a few key pieces and have recruited a couple of highly talented high school players. Moving back to the Big East has had a significant impact on their recruiting success. If they were still in the AAC, they wouldn't have been able to accomplish what they have the past two years. Having an exceptional coach also helps.

Reactions: hUTch2002
Yep. They recruit a different breed of player up there. Personally, I'd like to see more of those guys down here. I'll be curious to see how they play Edey and Purdue. I'm gonna guess their players won't turtle up. They might lose, but they'll go toe to toe against them.
We went toe to toe. It was a 1 possession game til the last minute. If we make some shots there down The stretch it’s us up 6 with them being desperate.

Reactions: Zues1
They get NIL through other means other than just the school. I know Bueckers has a Nike deal. And Clingan has a Ritz crackers deal.

I was being also sarcastic. One of the big arguments, including with Saban, was that the sport wouldn't have parity with NIL.

Their coach is excellent. He motivates at a high level and his offense is really hard to defend. They are hungry for a repeat. He coaches with a chip on his shoulder as he always thinks he has to prove himself with his background with his Dad and Brother. I saw a story on him where he use to feel like he never measured up to his dad’s expectations. I’m a big fan of his. No one will outwork this guy!

A B1G or SEC school should just buy their coach. Michigan has a coaching vacancy now, why don't they just throw money and get their coach and entire team (that doesn't go Pro) to come over for next year? Isn't that how NIL works?

Michigan has a Football Program that racks in money, UConn doesn't (well UConn plays football but it isn't a money maker).

UConn is top 4 in both offensive and defensive efficiency and might be the most balanced scoring team in all of basketball. All 5 starters avg double figures.

UConn is a blue blood just like KY, KS, Duke, etc.. I think people forget because of the whole Big East AAC, whatever shuffle.
Also don't forget that UConn won a naty two years after Jim Calhoun retired. They've always been a blue blood

Not always, but they are the most successful program of the last 25 years.

I agree but why? They are not a big $$$$ generator. They are not in a major Football league.

I keep hearing about how NIL will change the game (i.e. Saban) but here we have a school that is basically an outsider that is winning at a high level.

Reactions: msforut
I agree but why? They are not a big $$$$ generator. They are not in a major Football league.

I keep hearing about how NIL will change the game (i.e. Saban) but here we have a school that is basically an outsider that is winning at a high level.
They are a very well known brand in the NE, where population density is off the charts. They have a history of winning and a coach who recruits well and smartly, includes players in his family life and is also probably the most innovative coach in basketball. His history coaching high school and his connections to AAU also give him a leg up in recruiting and in acquiring transfers. He has relationships with all the big name high school coaches, and they trust sending kids to him.

Reactions: berryvol
They are a very well known brand in the NE, where population density is off the charts. They have a history of winning and a coach who recruits well and smartly, includes players in his family life and is also probably the most innovative coach in basketball. His history coaching high school and his connections to AAU also give him a leg up in recruiting and in acquiring transfers. He has relationships with all the big name high school coaches, and they trust sending kids to him.

I get all of that but why didn't another school from B1G or SEC just buy him away from UConn last year. No way UConn can match the $$$ of these programs. Buy the players away as well.

Finally, I think UConn is Dan Hurley’s dream job. He and Bobby are close with White and his family going back to their Dad’s knowing each other and Bobby playing at Duke. While Hurley would take a meeting with White and listen, I think he’s at UCONN for the long haul. His agent reported “no interest” to UK overtures if you believe the rumors. He’s got the gig he wants. He’s very family oriented, community oriented, and church oriented. UConn is also not short on resources.

Finally, I think UConn is Dan Hurley’s dream job. He and Bobby are close with White and his family going back to their Dad’s knowing each other and Bobby playing at Duke. While Hurley would take a meeting and listen, I think he’s at UCONN for the long haul. His agent reported “no interest” to UK overtures if you believe the rumors. He’s got the gig he wants.

I can see that and I think he has a good time at UConn but money will talk. UK should have just kept throwing down the $$$ until he said yes. At some point, you eventually say yes with enough $$$ on the table.

VN Store

Back