How do you guys feel about the bowl game?

Sadly, I just don't care. I suppose the extra practice time is beneficial but the season is over.
200.gif

I'll watch, but absolutely no desire to attend in person, not at all interested in watching an Iowa football team, not much interested in watching Milton one last time from the stands, particularly with the national championship semis coming on at 5:00,

SEC gave Tennessee a huge bump as the regular season record merited nothing better than the Gator Bowl, but the LSU slot for Orlando made even less sense after having been there last year with only 42,000 in attendance, hate not supporting the team when the SEC is throwing us a bone, but Tennessee has done nothing during bowl season to create any additional interest or spark any opportunity to see Nico or what we are working on for 2024.

CJH to Milton -" Sorry, Joe. I know you've started all year and there's only one game left, but I'm going to sit you because the fans will show more interest"

Reactions: FBtime
The playoff lovers have screamed “meaningless bowl games” as loudly as possible for decades. Is is any wonder fans and players are beginning to buy in? Sitting out began to catch n when we went from BCS to a four team playoff. The playoff lovers yelled “more teams will solve everything,” and we’re about to get 12. And when even more players and fans check out of bowl and low seeded playoff games, they’ll cry “we need 16.” Hell, they already are.

It’s become a joke.

Reactions: papatomany
The existence of the playoffs is the reason players are sitting. As playoffs expand you can expect to see players sit out from teams which don’t stand a punchers chance. The bigger the number of teams, the more likely players will opt out.
If players are opting out because their team has no chance at the natty, wouldn't more guys have opted out back in the BCS days or under the current format since only a few teams have a shot?

If players are opting out because their team has no chance at the natty, wouldn't more guys have opted out back in the BCS days or under the current format since only a few teams have a shot?
They hadn’t been sold on the “meaningless bowl game” narrative. Now the bowl games are “meaningless,” and in the future playoff teams viewed as having no real shot at a run will be viewed as meaningless as well.

They hadn’t been sold on the “meaningless bowl game” narrative.
Maybe so. You definitely hear it more now than in the past, but it's still illogical. If you managed to be interested in any game that took place after late October when you knew we weren't winning the SEC East . . . why does your attitude change now?

Maybe so. You definitely hear it more now than in the past, but it's still illogical. If you managed to be interested in any game that took place after late October when you knew we weren't winning the SEC East . . . why does your attitude change now?
When you are told something often enough and long enough, a lot of folks begin to believe it.

I've been eating more Cheez It's ...... WITH Cheez Whiz !

Gotta love a food (?) that you can't spray from a can.

Plus you can practice making micro-sandwiches out of Cheez Its and Cheez Whiz.

Last edited:
The bowl games have always been kind of unimportant. At one time, they literally didn't count for anything. But it's still a chance to see your team take the field and get to root for them. Just seems kind of weird to me. But what do I know?
They used to at least be interesting. Most teams wanted to make a good showing and finish the season as highly ranked as possible. Now, hardly anyone really seems to care. If you aren't in the playoffs then its just a watered down exhibition with many of the players opting out due to leaving for the draft or transfer portal.

Kind of beating a dead horse, but I can never subscribe to the idea that bowl games are meaningless. I'm not sure when that became such a popular sentiment, but it's annoying as can be. I can see the day coming when, as soon as it is determined that the team won't make the playoff, the rest of the games are deemed meaningless and players start opting out.
I've said it before: there is no such thing as a meaningless game for a real competitor. Michael Jordan said the best game he ever played in was a Dream Team scrimmage. Ernie Banks ("let's play two") played the vast majority of his career out of contention, but I guarantee he never thought a single game was "meaningless". I go beyond your assessment of "annoying" and on into "disgusting".

They used to at least be interesting. Most teams wanted to make a good showing and finish the season as highly ranked as possible. Now, hardly anyone really seems to care. If you aren't in the playoffs then its just a watered down exhibition with many of the players opting out due to leaving for the draft or transfer portal.
Bowl games were interesting when there weren't a blue million of them and 5-7 teams weren't invited. A lot of things have become abundantly clear to the players over the last 10 to 15 yrs and their reaction to these issues is not only predictable and logical, it's human nature and largely justified.

When you throw a party for profit and bring in performers, those performers are generally paid. When bowl committee members are paid over a mil a yr in salaries in many cases, ESPN and the other networks make millions covering the events and multi million dollar per yr head coaches are awarded bonuses for making it to bowl games, you would think they would come up with a way to compensate or indemnify at a minimum the kids they depend on for putting on the show. Iows, if your kid was a couple of months away from being a 3rd round pick that would be awarded a contract around 1.5 mil guaranteed and worth about 5 mil over the next 4 yrs, my guess is you would want the folks carting away a fortune to at least insure your kid for 5 mil in the event of a catastrophic injury. Imo, you can't run a highly profitable business and expect the main attractions to do it for goody bags and the love of good ole state U.

Reactions: carolinavol4
Under two weeks until the game. How do you Vols feel about the Citrus Bowl game at this point?

Tenn has taken a decent roster hit from the portal, especially in the secondary.

Iowa on the other hand has been basically untouched to this point by portal madness and none of the defensive players who are sure-fire NFL picks have opted out for Iowa either.

Still feel that your speed will be too much for Iowa and win the day for UT?
I can see it playing out like the Missouri game, or Bama.

Too many injuries and portal hits. Glorified scrimmage for next year.

Imo, you can't run a highly profitable business and expect the main attractions to do it for goody bags and the love of good ole state U.
No doubt about it. Plus, back in the day, the bowl was game 11 or 12. Now it’s at least game #13 and for some teams it’s 14. Player risk has gone way up in the past 20 years and these guys can do the math.

Reactions: Visiting Dawg
I miss when bowl games mattered. I also miss when all if the players played and tried to win the bowl to end the season on a high note. Some of my best memories of our beloved VOLS, were from bowl games. I remember the first time I heard of a player opting out, and I thought it was crazy, but I get it. I know times have changed, a lot. No going back now. I do think that a 12 team playoff will help, but I really think it needs to be more like 16 teams. I also think they need to eliminate automatic bids. Just take the best 16 teams. Drop the regular season back to 11 games, like it used to be. Then, bowl season will matter again. GO VOLS!!!

I’ll be working but will watch the replay on YouTube when I get home. I tell you who this game matters to, though. The young men that will put on a Tennessee uniform one last time that know they will likely never put on another football uniform again. I’ll be pulling for them hard. If Joe plays, I want him to do great. And I sure hope Nico gets some much needed playing time. It matters in ways beyond at W or an L.

VN Store

Back