How likely is it that UT is doing some Ole Miss?

A good friend of mine, who is close to the program and Butch, said during the Drew Richmond recruiting process that Ole Miss was paying Drew and came close to swaying him back to them towards the end because of the substantial money they were offering. Butch was quoted as saying something like " I don't play that sh*t and if that is what he is after, they can have him". Luckily Drew saw the light and chose us even though he was offered money from Ole Miss. I was also happy to hear Butch's stance and I believe he is running a pretty clean program.

Yeah, I know "cool story bro", but I was not surprised to hear this about Ole Miss after all the other rumblings I've heard about them paying players.

Your story would be more believable if you quoted Butch saying "Homie don't play that".

I think we are doing it the right way only because we can. Ole Miss has no chance unless they cheat and cheat a lot.

Jump higher Vols.

Reactions: 1 person
like the elementary playground. "The only reason you won was because you cheated. You're not better than me, you just cheated..." :thud:

Last edited:
I stole this from someone else on another site (a Florida fan, interestingly enough), but it's a good post:

Bimodal distribution. All I'm gonna say...

For those that don't get it he's referencing the fact that for most teams that are good at recruiting you dont get #1 at the positions across the board. You might have guys ranked #2 or #3 at their position and the class is overall higher level. If you're picking up guys ranked #1 at their position chances are you'll also get some second tier guys too. A more even spread where the class has a gradual mix up upper and lower tier guys. Teams also value guys differently so the #2 WR might be more valuable to them than the #1 wr on recruiting sites. That leaves you with classes that are an even mix of rankings. Go look at Michigan's class last year if you don't understand what I'm talking about.

Ole Miss's recruiting doesn't follow this. Their recruiting is basically #1 WR #1 DE #1 OT then it falls off a cliff into crap city with guys who are lije the #13 ranked at their positions and stuff. None of thay gradual stuff where you'd have 2s maybe a 4 or whatever. Just a few high level guys then the quality of player you'd expect ole miss to bring in.

Almost like someone was going down recruit rankings sites and just paying the #1 player at a position of need to come there, but they didn't focus on it for the whole class.

For a class that pulled in 3 #1s youd expect it to be like #1 #1 #1 #2 #3 #5 #7 #10# 13 #14

When you see a class that's like #1 #1 #1 #13 #14 #14 #17, you should be wondering if something is up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
All cheat, but all don't get caught.

And if you do get caught, you better be a blue blood.
I think that the blue blood part of this is interesting, for the other side of it. I think that programs who aren't blue bloods have a harder time of getting away with the shady stuff because they don't know how to behave. They've had two separate instances of Ole Miss bros recording elite players smoking weed in their apartments. Why in the hell would you do that? I've seen players do dumb things at UT in my years there, but I would have NEVER recorded it.

They also brag about their "handlers" program pretty hard down there. They're really proud that they built a program overnight, and they think that they have a great system.

Ole Miss also has a culture (sports and LIFE) of throwing money at things. They build bridges to goals with money, and throw money at problems. That eventually catches up with you.

Nope. Its mainly cause I'm black and I've said racism is still a problem. Folks lose their mind if race is ever brought up.

I'm not going to take the race card bait. I just find it hard to NOT say something to you when you post on here like your opinion is absolute and brilliant. The comments about "watching a lot of tape" and "eye test" are massive eye-roll moments for most on here.

I don't blame you 100% for it. I think that ESPN gossip-journo-bickering shows have raised a new arrogant era of sports fans that think they have to have some insanely confident predictions and argue them to argue. I see a lot of cheap versions of Skip Bayless running around on the forums, blogs, and social media.

Underneath all of the arrogance and misplaced confidence, I think that there really is a football fan that wants to know as much about the sport as possible.

Last edited:
If we were cheating, we would have better players. A lot more 4 and 5 star players. Von Bell and Derrick Henry would be Vols and a ton of those great bama and Ole Miss OL would be Vols too.

Now the question is if Ole Miss gets hammered by NCAA, how many of their best players can we get to transfer to UT?

I took a wait and see approach. Liked what Lane was doing till he left. Questioned the Dooley move from the start after I heard what his record was a LaTech. Thought Butch Jones was a tragedy till he signed the 2014 class. Started following that class. Was impressed by Hurd in the Oklahoma game. Then I jumped firmly back on the bandwagon after the South Carolina game. That's when I knew we had a championship quarterback.

So I've always been a fan. Just more distant than I an right now that we're on the cusp of greatness.

You really should consider following Auburn. They have a lot of fans like you. You'd be like the Bee girl in the Blind Melon video.

Reactions: 3 people
Sounds like Linda Bensel-Myers. She was a wart disguised as an English professor. :eek:lol:

People who can't decide on a last name even when convention gives them a clue are usually a problem. Probably because someone who can't abide by convention believes himself or herself to be exceptional.

I hope not, cheating ultimately catches up, admittedly sometimes it arrives too late. But, seems to me if some guys are getting 'paid' or benefits, the whole team is gonna know it, and unless the whole team is on the take, then you have a divisive inner team issue, that could destroy a season. Plus, players on the take, make poor leaders, look at Congress. I know we're hungry but IMO paying ransom is not the way I want to see Tennessee Return to Glory. And THIS is the YEAR. GBO!

Maybe that's one of the issues that the NCAA was trying to defuse when it decided to allow stipends (cost of attendance) for athletic scholarships. After OH St got nailed for the free tattoos, it was likely getting harder to explain away all the 200-300 pound metal studded billboards roaming over football fields Obviously they weren't starving and had plenty of disposable income from somewhere despite all the calls for ending collegiate abuse and paying poor starving athletes.

I'm sure every school cheats in different ways. But Ole Miss has to cheat if they want to compete with the top of the SEC. Tennessee doesn't necessarily have to. I mean look at the 2 programs histories and the record between the 2 head to head. They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as this thread does. Ole Miss is a crap program.

Ole Miss who? Of course, most of you weren't around to remember football in the 60's or remember "Archie who?" There is always one of those schools and before FL it was Ole Miss - just not for as long.

I took a wait and see approach. Liked what Lane was doing till he left. Questioned the Dooley move from the start after I heard what his record was a LaTech. Thought Butch Jones was a tragedy till he signed the 2014 class. Started following that class. Was impressed by Hurd in the Oklahoma game. Then I jumped firmly back on the bandwagon after the South Carolina game. That's when I knew we had a championship quarterback.

So I've always been a fan. Just more distant than I an right now that we're on the cusp of greatness.

You don't take a wait and see approach with a team youre a fan of. If UT goes 0-12 the next 20 years I will still freaking wear orange and represent my team. Dude. You're robbing yourself of what being a sports fan is. Just my opinion. But I'm just feeling the troll at this point so I'll leave it at that. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
If we were cheating, we would have better players. A lot more 4 and 5 star players. Von Bell and Derrick Henry would be Vols and a ton of those great bama and Ole Miss OL would be Vols too.

Now the question is if Ole Miss gets hammered by NCAA, how many of their best players can we get to transfer to UT?

that depends. maybe we aren't paying enough to get the better players but paying enough to get what we have.. perhaps we just need to up the anti..

To me, I always use the "does it raise eyebrows" test. Tennessee, while recruiting at a high level hasn't really done anything recently that makes me go hmmm...same for Georgia, Florida, LSU, etc...Ole Miss and Auburn on the other hand, it seems like every other recruit is suspicious. Guys not having them in their top 10 and then committing? Suspicious. Things like that happen every week at places like Ole Miss and Auburn.

This.

Somebody that has the administrative authorities permission needs to nuke this thread. Ole Miss....wants investigating.

So does Auburn.

Flags went up everywhere when Freeze signed that big class 3 years back. New coach in a down trodden program signs a top 5 class. Something didn't add up - right?

Everyone would agree UT was down trodden after the Kiffen / Doolittle fiasco. CBJ in his 1st full year on the job signs a top 5 class. How dirty did UT have to get in order to make that class happen? UT has a much much better history / tradition vs Ole Miss so maybe not too dirty? Or are all the power 5 programs constantly breaking the rules throwing out cash like candy at a Christmas parade?

Let me get this straight, Sparky. Ole Miss has to cover their butt because Tunsil is an idiot. And just to one up him, you write this thread? Don't we have enough with the Title IX nonsense on our plate?

You know that constitutional amendment that guarantees you freedom of speech? Take a wild guess at what you can do with it.

Let me get this straight, Sparky. Ole Miss has to cover their butt because Tunsil is an idiot. And just to one up him, you write this thread? Don't we have enough with the Title IX nonsense on our plate?

You know that constitutional amendment that guarantees you freedom of speech? Take a wild guess at what you can do with it.

I don't see Tunsil becoming an astronaut

Last edited:
The question wasn't to do with whether UT adheres to every crazy detail of every rule, but whether its likely someone who is an employee of the football program / athletic department is handing out cash as Ole Miss has been outed to have been doing by an ex-player on prime time national TV. IF a program hands out cash or manipulates grades to keep players eligible, then they are intentionally cheating. Everyone knows that without reading a 500 page rule book.

Personally, I'm beginning to believe its part of the system to hand out cash and you're probably not going to be able to be competitive without doing so. I'm 99% sure in my mind that Auburn gave $ to the big DT from GA this last cycle as I felt certain it was either UT or GA then the tiggers jump up and grab him.

If these top recruits are getting paid, then they will all quickly know that there's money out there to be had and a large number of them will want their piece of the pie. Doubt you can keep something like that secret among a bunch of high school seniors.

I hope you're wrong. If a school is "Handing out cash", all those associated with the practice should be fired, and banned from NCAA sports. Once a program starts handing out cash, it would become so dirty, nothing would be off the table, point shaving, steroids (supplied, or testing faked), demands for even more money, etc. etc. Those involved in the corruption of NCAA football (or any other NCAA program) are the worst of the worst. No real fan would agree to cheating, as cheating creates a culture of cheating, plain and simple. NCAA programs are NOT professional programs. I have zero sympathy with anyone being caught corrupting the sport. Just to be clear, there isn't anyone handing out money to players that "Didn't know it was wrong...".
Once you start handing out cash, how do you stop? The threat of being exposed as a low life piece of SH(* puts you on the hook.

Reactions: 2 people
This thread being monitored by the IRS. Breaking codes to get names of offending posters. Audits to come.

We are a "blue blood", but I wonder if our blood is "blue" enough in the NCAA's eyes.

If we do have issues, I just hope our compliance department is as good as it was when Doug Dickey was our AD.

We are a top 10 program. Multiple championships. Multiple AAs. Multiple decades of success. We're blue.

I can't believe Hugh Freeze had the balls to reinstate Tunsil and let him play even one down last season.

1) There was already an NCAA investigation for Tunsil receiving improper benefits from an agent and he had been suspended for 7 games.

2) They reinstate him after an internal investigation and now it turns out he was getting cash from an associate AD as well?

3) The NCAA discovers these payments not from a disclosure by Ole Miss but by an embarrassing public admission by the player on national television during a high profile event such as the 1st round of the draft?

Imo, Ole Miss just got caught driving 50 mph through a school zone with a BAC of .25 and a jar full of crystal meth in the front seat. No way they get a slap on the wrist for this. I think they will lose some schollies, a one year bowl ban and they will have to forfeit the games that Tunsil played last season. Thoughts?

Nope. Its mainly cause I'm black and I've said racism is still a problem. Folks lose their mind if race is ever brought up.

I understand how you feel. People here don't like me because I'm short. They didn't know I was short until I told them, but now everyone knows and can face their short bias. Just like being black, being short isn't easy. You are judged before people even get to know you. Stay strong.

VN Store

Back