Hubbs this Morning

mitzustu

Brent Hubbs has been on the radio all the way to work this morning he says the following:

1) Helfrich is not a very realistic option at this point.

2) Larry Scott is the leading candidate in house.

3) The downside to "in house" is that the Vols lost Nick Sheridan the de facto QB coach and needs a QB coach. Can they hire both an OC and a QB coach or do they need it as a package. If they want one guy, Scott is not it.

4) Rock Gullickson from the NFL/Rams will be hired this week as SC coach. Good hire.

Reactions: 10 people
Azzanni nor Scott are a "fit" according to what Jones said, however I do feel he's gonna stay in house

Brent Hubbs has been on the radio all the way to work this morning he says the following:

3) The downside to "in house" is that the Vols lost Nick Sheridan the de facto QB coach and needs a QB coach. Can they hire both an OC and a QB coach or do they need it as a package. If they want one guy, Scott is not it.

4) Rock Gullickson from the NFL/Rams will be hired this week as SC coach. Good hire.

smh.

Way to fire yourself, Butch.

Reactions: 23 people
Azzanni nor Scott are a "fit" according to what Jones said, however I do feel he's gonna stay in house

They fit enough for Jones.

Control control control.

The only two that would stick to 8 and not even ask about the 9th play in the book.

Reactions: 5 people

It may not be what folks wanna hear, but Larry Scott is the next person on our staff to get a head coaching gig, so keeping him content and upgrading him to OC while he continues to be a strong recruiter could work out. I know it isnt the splash but he is gone in the next couple of years for a HC gig just like Mark Helf would have been....

Reactions: 29 people

Where did Nick Sheridan go? Didn't know he left.

Reactions: 2 people

"Not a realistic option at this point" is certainly different than what has been discussed on this board up until now. Seems like the discussion has gone from "he's definitely coming" to it's highly unlikely to "never was coming". That statement if quoted from Brent Hubbs sounds like Helfrich may still be under consideration. Agree that Scott has not been a QB coach in the past although he's done about everything else on the offense. I think the three QB's in contention for 2017 need a QB coach. Would be nice to get the package rather than two separate coaches.

It may not be what folks wanna hear, but Larry Scott is the next person on our staff to get a head coaching gig, so keeping him content and upgrading him to OC while he continues to be a strong recruiter could work out. I know it isnt the splash but he is gone in the next couple of years for a HC gig just like Mark Helf would have been....

If he got looks this season he'll get more next season
So next year it'll be 4 OCs In 6 yrs?

Reactions: 1 person
So the #1 priority in an OC hire is someone who can develop QBs but the leading candidates are Azzani and Scott. Got it. :ermm:

Reactions: 19 people
"Not a realistic option at this point" is certainly different than what has been discussed on this board up until now. Seems like the discussion has gone from "he's definitely coming" to it's highly unlikely to "never was coming". That statement if quoted from Brent Hubbs sounds like Helfrich may still be under consideration. Agree that Scott has not been a QB coach in the past although he's done about everything else on the offense. I think the three QB's in contention for 2017 need a QB coach. Would be nice to get the package rather than two separate coaches.

Sounds more like Jones being Jones

If he got looks this season he'll get more next season
So next year it'll be 4 OCs In 6 yrs?

im with you, maybe he and JG and QD or someone make a good connections worth sticking around 2-3 years, i mean Helf would be gone in that time period too, even if a small school or something ya know...

OC/DC is tough - need a splash but those guys get HC jobs faster then most others....

but again just speculation at this point, we shall see who gets the job

Reactions: 1 person
All of this discussion sounds like Butch has no interest in going outside the box and hiring a more dynamic guy to run the offense.

He'll do that on defense, since that isn't his domain, but since he considers the offense to be his baby he only wants people he can fully control there.

im with you, maybe he and JG and QD or someone make a good connections worth sticking around 2-3 years, i mean Helf would be gone in that time period too, even if a small school or something ya know...

OC/DC is tough - need a splash but those guys get HC jobs faster then most others....

but again just speculation at this point, we shall see who gets the job

captain and crew go down with the ship..

If Scott gets it then I'll bump it down to 5-7

Reactions: 4 people
Yep. Nothing anytime soon. Prolly mid to late February. Said ideal would have been before January 1st but it passed. Said Jones can hire whomever and it won't affect him.

That tells me it's def Gilbert then.
Larry/Zach Co OCs

Tennessee finds an entire Staff in '18

Reactions: 6 people
Anyone who would be happy with an in house option at OC is just not firing on all synapses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back