I don't understand this O-line excuse.

Dougie_D

Can someone please answer these questions.

1. How many true starters?

2. How many are true freshman? How many are in their 1st year with the scheme?

3. What teams are closest to our o-line situation?

4. It's been at least 5 weeks working with the 0-line. What is the main problem? Strength? Footwork? Not knowing the plays? , etc...

5. By week 10 are we seriously going to use our o-line as an excuse?

6. Where's the development?

Have you not seen this offensive line play or something? They are horrible dude...seriously..I am considering of seeing if I have any eligibility left so I can teach these kids how to ****ing block on zone reads.

Reactions: 2 people

2. How many are true freshman?

4. It's been at least 5 weeks working with the 0-line. What is the main problem? Strength? Footwork? Not knowing the plays? , etc...

Strength and conditioning is done during offseason not during the season.

True freshmen = Thomas, Roberson

First year starters = Crowder, Kerbyson

One year starter = Jackson. Didn't play last year - was redshirt

Gilliam won LT job, but tore his ACL and was replaced by Kerbyson (normally a guard).

Reactions: 4 people
I think they should at least try flipping Marcus Jackson to RG and J Robertson to LG.

If Worley had the time & inclination, he could tell you. Meanwhile, watch him run for his life as opponents come blasting through our OL at will.

1. Idk what you mean by true starters
2. We have 2 true freshman starting
3. None. Seriously. This is unprecedented.
4. They are turrible. So many problems, mainly stemming from zobe blocking buttttttt they really haven't done anything well.
5. Yeah, they'll still be bad the way it's looking
6. Good question

Why am I not surprised you don't understand something. I'm guessing it's not the first time.

Kentucky OLine
TE 85 Steven Borden | 6-3, 246, SR
80 Ronnie Shields | 6-5, 254, SR
LT 77 Darrian Miller | 6-5, 292, SR
68 Nick Haynes | 6-3, 319, RS FR
LG 70 Jordan Swindle | 6-7, 306, JR
73 Kyle Meadows | 6-5, 294, RS FR
C 68 Nick Haynes | 6-3, 319, RS FR
74 Cole Mosier | 6-6, 348, RS FR
75 Zach West | 6-4, 318, JR
RG 69 Ramsey Meyers | 6-4, 300, RS FR
64 Max Godby | 6-4, 298, SR
RT 72 Jon Toth | 6-5, 301, SO
57 Zach Myers | 6-3, 287, SO

Reactions: 3 people
If you include Wolf as an O linemen (which he is on lots of run plays), then we have 3 true freshmen starters on the O line. I presume you've heard the old cliché: "Football games are won in the trenches". When your offensive trench distribution is 50% Freshmen and 50% Dooley recruits, it is bad ju ju for the effectivness of the offense. I know you want somebody to blame for all of this, and there very well may be some blame to be put on Jake and Butch, but until we have an O line that doesn't play tight and shell shocked due to youth and inexperience, we're not going to know if Jake, Mahoney, and Butch are the problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Have you not seen this offensive line play or something? They are horrible dude...seriously..I am considering of seeing if I have any eligibility left so I can teach these kids how to ****ing block on zone reads.
You don't need any eligibility left to teach them how to block.

One thing that concerns me, last year we had a bunch of NFL'ers and they were said to have under-performed. This year we have new inexperienced guys and they suh-uh-uck. Is there a possibility that Mahoney is lacking the magic? Where else has he been?

Reactions: 3 people

To answer a couple of your questions... We have 2 true freshmen starting on the right side of the line, and 3 if you count the TE. Marcus Jackson is the only starter with true experience and I believe he sat out last season. Kerbyson and Crowder have some experience playing but not a lot.

The problem is a combination of all that you mentioned. I notice Thomas gets beat a lot at RT because the end just goes right around him. He seems very slow at this point and I don't expect it to change anytime soon. The freshmen especially really need a full year of strength and conditioning/plyometrics probably more than anything. To be fair to them, neither were expected to come right in and start, and I can see where they are having problems.

Dontavious Blair is a JUCO tackle that we were really counting on to come in and make an impact. So far he's been a bust, but I did hear he's been making steady improvement and may compete for a spot soon.

Jacob Gilliam was a starting left tackle and got hurt in the first game. He's supposed to be out for the year, but he's determined to make it back somehow this season. This kid has heart and I can only wish every player had the drive and determination that this kid has.

This line can only improve throughout the season, but I think it's going to continue to be a major issue all season and going to keep us from being a good football team this year. At this point, I just want to make a bowl game, which was the goal coming into the year.

I can't really think of another team having as much of a problem with their offensive line as us right now.

Hope this helped

Reactions: 1 person
To answer a couple of your questions... We have 2 true freshmen starting on the right side of the line, and 3 if you count the TE. Marcus Jackson is the only starter with true experience and I believe he sat out last season. Kerbyson and Crowder have some experience playing but not a lot.

The problem is a combination of all that you mentioned. I notice Thomas gets beat a lot at RT because the end just goes right around him. He seems very slow at this point and I don't expect it to change anytime soon. The freshmen especially really need a full year of strength and conditioning/plyometrics probably more than anything. To be fair to them, neither were expected to come right in and start, and I can see where they are having problems.

Dontavious Blair is a JUCO tackle that we were really counting on to come in and make an impact. So far he's been a bust, but I did hear he's been making steady improvement and may compete for a spot soon.

Jacob Gilliam was a starting left tackle and got hurt in the first game. He's supposed to be out for the year, but he's determined to make it back somehow this season. This kid has heart and I can only wish every player had the drive and determination that this kid has.

This line can only improve throughout the season, but I think it's going to continue to be a major issue all season and going to keep us from being a good football team this year. At this point, I just want to make a bowl game, which was the goal coming into the year.

I can't really think of another team having as much of a problem with their offensive line as us right now.

Hope this helped

Good.

Watched both tackles struggle today...they seem slow and out of position to a good block, and the D-lineman just side stepped them and were on Worley.

The excuse is just that. We have 3 RS Jr's on the line and a SR blocking TE in addition to the 2 FR. So 4 yrs in a college S&C program, strength shouldn't be an issue. Second year learning the system, whether they started or not they should know it. All have some game experience so jitters shouldn't still be a problem 5 games in. I'm tired of the excuses but I'll patiently wait to be blasted for "not knowing anything about the game" and fed another line of excuses.

Reactions: 2 people
Is this O line worse than the year where the Sulivan brothers started? I remember that being a joke of an O line too. This is pretty bad tho.

The excuse is just that. We have 3 RS Jr's on the line and a SR blocking TE in addition to the 2 FR. So 4 yrs in a college S&C program, strength shouldn't be an issue. Second year learning the system, whether they started or not they should know it. All have some game experience so jitters shouldn't still be a problem 5 games in. I'm tired of the excuses but I'll patiently wait to be blasted for "not knowing anything about the game" and fed another line of excuses.

RT Thomas was in High School last year.

LT Kerbyson is a Guard playing due to Gilliam Injury and Blair's inability to learn protection.

Is this O line worse than the year where the Sulivan brothers started? I remember that being a joke of an O line too. This is pretty bad tho.

The legend of the Sullins bros grows every year.

Cody started at center. Cory backed him up - not a starter. Neither played tackle.

We have young players (who shouldn't be playing for another 2 years in a normal program) playing out of position. Look at our recruiting in 2011&2012. It's going to hurt. I'd like to see you natty guzzling couch coaches do better. DOOLEY LEFT US NOTHING!!! Give them time.

RT Thomas was in High School last year.

LT Kerbyson is a Guard playing due to Gilliam Injury and Blair's inability to learn protection.

Kerbyson played OT in HS and looks like he has no idea how to play the position now. Typical garbage east TN HS talent he played against.

Kerbyson played OT in HS and looks like he has no idea how to play the position now. Typical garbage east TN HS talent he played against.

Lol Your comparing playing T in high school with the SeC. In high school when your better than everyone you can play any line position. Doesn't work in big boy FB

VN Store

Back