I feel like we were way better with Turner

If's and but's? We'd be better if Grant and Bone had stayed too.
We'd be better if our players were of the same skill level as Michael Jordan in his prime. These kind of threads are so pointless. OP then makes a pointless observation that can neither be proven or disproven: we'd have a little better record if Turner was still here. Isn't that nice...

Reactions: Stoked
Even though he turned it over a bit just like everyone else, some games he was an assist monster. Plus he could actually drive with power. His shot was off but could still hit the clutch ones. I think we would have a little better record with him.
He couldn’t throw it in the ocean!

Why not? Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, these teams have 18 year olds repeatedly some in an excel tremendously

Do we really have to answer this? While I believe Viscovi will be good, he wasn’t a top 25 player. He also didn’t train in this country, and there is a difference. Give me some examples of international players who were major contributors in their freshman year. Deandre Ayton doesn’t count.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Do we really have to answer this? While I believe Viscovi will be good, he wasn’t a top 25 player. He also didn’t train in this country, and there is a difference. Give me some examples of international players who were major contributors in their freshman year. Deandre Ayton doesn’t count.
I get what you’re saying but it’s irrelevant to the post I responded to...I responded to a post that said that you can’t expect an 18 year old to come in and excel immediately...or something like tht.

A 5th year senior PG would help this team? They should probably also consider scoring more points than the other team, it’s very good for your win/loss record.

Reactions: berryvol
I had wondered if Turner could possibly be back for the last game or two if he healed up quickly. Maybe giving Fleschman the scholarship eliminates any possibility of LT playing again,

We WOULD have been much better with a HEALTHY Turner. He struggled all year with his shooting and now we know there was a good reason. Even with him unhealthy, he was an asset to team with his defense, assists, and leadership - and a great loss.

Still we have a shot at big tournament - 2nd half at Vandy was promising. Ole Miss Tuesday becomes a big game - every next game from here on is the biggest one.

"Big Tournament" ?? "PLAYOFFS"? "PLAYOFFS"?? NIT (Maybe)

Yes and he has honestly been really good all things considered. He is a high school senior for crying out loud. His prom would still be months away.
His learning system at the academy was totally different than the college game. You can palm the ball, shuffle your feet, etc. At the college level, those are turnovers. Also, some of his turnovers are due to lack of physicality, and that will come with Medenwald system.

I get what you’re saying but it’s irrelevant to the post I responded to...I responded to a post that said that you can’t expect an 18 year old to come in and excel immediately...or something like tht.
It's totally relevant to the post you responded to.

Reactions: VolGee4
I'm flying Air France to Paris tomorrow.
I'll wave at Pons' parents as we fly over their house and shoot 'em the Vol hand sign.
Someone in Paris tried unsuccessfully to book an $1800 flight on my credit card a couple of weeks ago. If you see them, tell them I said hi.

You expected an 18 year old from another country, who doesn't speak much English to step off the plane and light it up in the first 3 weeks? Most freshmen get preseason camp, the kid is learning on the fly. He's also not in midseason shape like most of the other guys, it takes time. With or without Turner this year was a transition year.
Stokes!

We'd be better if our players were of the same skill level as Michael Jordan in his prime. These kind of threads are so pointless. OP then makes a pointless observation that can neither be proven or disproven: we'd have a little better record if Turner was still here. Isn't that nice...

I get what you are saying, and since Turner is out there is nothing anyone can do about it. However it is provable....and I really think the OP is just stating that while many wanted Turner on the bench is was way more important to this team than people realized......even a hurt & bad shooting Turner.

With Turner this team was 8-3, without Turner this team is currently 3-3.
With a more healthy Turner this team was 6-1.

The offense was much more efficient, and with him at point it simply ran better....not to mention the defense he brought.

I mentioned in another post how Bowdens numbers were WAY better with Turner. Some of this is simply on Bowden, but some is literally because Turner is not out there (see original post for the numbers to explain).

Yes Really. His shot was bad because of his hurt shoulder. Vescovi has not been impressive in the least. He is averaging 2 turnovers per assist. I expected more from him. I know he is on a new team but I thought he had played against High level competition.
Expect more from him??? The Uruguayan Stork just dropped him off 3 weeks ago. He’s probably never played this much American style b-ball in his life much less dealing with classes, new teammates, and not having any family or friends around while living 5,000 miles from home. Geez and he’s all of 18yo

We've been lucky this year to be front-loaded with weaker teams, so our record still looks decent. Maybe the Vandy game was a corner turned? They did play with a lot more confidence.
Weaker teams? They’ve played Washington, Florida St, VCU, Memphis, Wisconsin, Cincinnati, and LSU plus a team with maybe the best player in the country, Georgia. You must be talking about Auburn’s schedule

Someone in Paris tried unsuccessfully to book an $1800 flight on my credit card a couple of weeks ago. If you see them, tell them I said hi.
I think I see him now in the gate area here at Charles DeGaulle airport.
He's wearing a cap with a big red A on it.

Reactions: vol_fan_dan
Stokes spoke English, Stokes traveled 4 hours to Knoxville vs 20 hours. Stokes support system was close by. Stokes didn't light the world on fire here.
Stokes was a physical freak at his size and level of development at 18. Was one of the physically strongest players in the SEC the day he stepped on campus.

Stokes was a physical freak at his size and level of development at 18. Was one of the physically strongest players in the SEC the day he stepped on campus.

The original post the OP was knocking Vescovi essentially saying he sucked and he expected him to produce more even though he's averaging 11 a game. Then the comment came he should be producing more because Freshman all over the country produce more just look at what Coach Cal does. I responded those kids get the benefit of summer workouts and preseason camp. Then someone commented with Stokes, well Stokes had many advantages over Vescovi. Stokes was a good player here but failed to get to be great because he was a victim of Cuonzo Martins shortcomings as a coach.

Main point is Vescovi doesn't suck, he's young, he's thousand of miles from home in a strange place learning how to play basketball. But we have people writing him off because he's not living up to their expectations, apparently some thought Vescovi and Uros would somehow magically turn this team around and lead us to a Final Four.

VN Store

Back