I know this might be unpopular…

NighthawkVol

But at what point do we ask if Frank Anderson isn’t the pitching savant he’s been made out to be? I know, I know…but consider:

-Chase Burns got worse his 2nd year at UT. Now he’s good again at Wake.
-Dollander got worse his 2nd year at UT. His junior year cost him millions.
-Beam has now gotten worse in his junior year. His junior year may be costing him millions.

The last AJ Russell outing was really poorly managed. 6 walks and 2 hits in 2.2 innings? 69 pitches and gets injured. No way he should’ve been in that long, both because he didn’t have it and because he was coming back from an injury.

For years, we’ve discussed Frank’s belief in not worrying about base runners. Less justifiable when pitchers aren’t getting guys out and missing bats.

There are some bad trends with UT pitchers over the last few years. On the other hand, he did a great job with Walsh, Kirby, Hunley, and others. Maybe he’s better with the lower velocity crafty pitchers than the guys who come in with great stuff and high velocity?

I think it’s worth considering at this point, given that all 3 of those tremendous 2022 weekend starters eventually got worse at UT. I’m not saying he’s a bad pitching coach or that he isn’t a good one. But maybe he isn’t the elite coach we’ve deemed him to be.

But at what point do we ask if Frank Anderson isn’t the pitching savant he’s been made out to be? I know, I know…but consider:

-Beam has now gotten worse in his junior year. His junior year may be costing him millions.

The last AJ Russell outing was really poorly managed. 6 walks and 2 hits in 2.2 innings? 69 pitches and gets injured. No way he should’ve been in that long, both because he didn’t have it and because he was coming back from an injury.

For years, we’ve discussed Frank’s belief in not worrying about base runners. Less justifiable when pitchers aren’t getting guys out and missing bats.

There are some bad trends with UT pitchers over the last few years. On the other hand, he did a great job with Walsh, Kirby, Hunley, and others. Maybe he’s better with the lower velocity crafty pitchers than the guys who come in with great stuff and high velocity?

I think it’s worth considering at this point, given that all 3 of those tremendous 2022 weekend starters eventually got worse at UT. I’m not saying he’s a bad pitching coach or that he isn’t a good one. But maybe he isn’t the elite coach we’ve deemed him to be.
My biggest concern with the pitching staff is they let their pitchers throw a lot of pitches before they bring in a reliever.. Their arms are still young and 120 pitches are a lot. I do uotknow how many pitches they throw through the week but I am sure they throw some.

My biggest concern with the pitching staff is they let their pitchers throw a lot of pitches before they bring in a reliever.. Their arms are still young and 120 pitches are a lot. I do uotknow how many pitches they throw through the week but I am sure they throw some.
They hardly ever let guys throw 100 which is less than your 120. What are you watching?

I've heard one theory I believe. Scouting has improved. So then what are you going to do to adjust? It is not as easy once people know what you are going to do. I also have a belief about Dollander since early last year. I think they tried to add the curve to his lineup and they wanted a consistent release angle to hide the pitch. I think it changed his original motion release from 2022 and it didn't work. Since it is a theory I don't know it it was CFA or CD that was doing the change. It will be interesting to see him pitch in the pros and try to compare.

The first thing I will say…when CTV was hired he could hand pick his pitching coach.

Second, from year to year, pitchers change some things about delivery and sometimes, from year to year, there could be soreness for a plethora of reasons.

Finally, CFA is very well respected, not really disputable imo. Further, we haven’t heard an inkling from players parents and we have some here, regarding CFA and his handling of the pitchers.

He wasnt good with Crochet and Joyce amongst others?...pretty sure they threw with high velocity and got well paid to do so after college. He also didn’t run either into the ground as they have both been hurt since they joined their professional ball clubs. Think what you want sir but you need to be informed on the matter before you come to strange conclusions.

I've heard one theory I believe. Scouting has improved. So then what are you going to do to adjust? It is not as easy once people know what you are going to do. I also have a belief about Dollander since early last year. I think they tried to add the curve to his lineup and they wanted a consistent release angle to hide the pitch. I think it changed his original motion release from 2022 and it didn't work. Since it is a theory I don't know it it was CFA or CD that was doing the change. It will be interesting to see him pitch in the pros and try to compare.
Frank changed Dallas’ arm angle too.

The first thing I will say…when CTV was hired he could hand pick his pitching coach.

Second, from year to year, pitchers change some things about delivery and sometimes, from year to year, there could be soreness for a plethora of reasons.

Finally, CFA is very well respected, not really disputable imo. Further, we haven’t heard an inkling from players parents and we have some here, regarding CFA and his handling of the pitchers.
I have. I would repeat who and what privately, but not here. But it’s a current pitcher.

He wasnt good with Crochet and Joyce amongst others?...pretty sure they threw with high velocity and got well paid to do so after college. He also didn’t run either into the ground as they have both been hurt since they joined their professional ball clubs. Think what you want sir but you need to be informed on the matter before you come to strange conclusions.
Bizarre post, but okay. Read my original post again.

It’s hard to run a pitcher into the ground when your season is ended by Covid before conference play, not to mention, I didn’t accuse FA of running every single pitcher into the ground. Maybe address the things I said, not the things I didn’t, before calling me uninformed.

One pitcher?
Yes. I don’t have access to all of them. One is an “inkling.” Let’s not move the target.

On the other hand, preacher has repeatedly mentioned how great FA has been for Kirby. I tried to be as explicit as I could in my first post…I’m not saying FA hasn’t done well or isn’t good. But there have been enough examples at this point to question some things.

I think it was simple. I don't think CTV would guarantee his role.
I doubt Vitello will guarantee any player anything. Having said that, my speculation is that Burns and his family probably got a tad butt hurt over the move to the pen. Bruised ego, hurt feelings...whatever you want to call it. No idea how big a role something like that played in his transfer, but I'd have to suspect it played a role.

I doubt Vitello will guarantee any player anything. Having said that, my speculation is that Burns and his family probably got a tad butt hurt over the move to the pen. Bruised ego, hurt feelings...whatever you want to call it. No idea how big a role something like that played in his transfer, but I'd have to suspect it played a role.
I could see that. My counter point on that is it shows your versatility, thus increasing your value.

you are correct, your post is very unpopular and unwarranted. What CFA did with the pitching staff when he first arrived was remarkable. Talent was sub-par, but he pieced it together for a few years until a few horses arrived. Over the last 4 years, our pitching staff has been envied by almost all other programs with the execution of a few. A pitching coach or any coach for that matter, are not miracle workers. We still have the 12th-best ERA in 2024, which is not too shabby when we can all agree the staff is down from the last few years.

I have. I would repeat who and what privately, but not here. But it’s a current pitcher.
Not. A. Big. Deal. No team in the country will have 100% buy in from players and parents. Someone will always be unhappy due to lack of playing time, perceived slights, etc. it’s a competitive environment so someone will end up with a bruised ego. It’s life.

Burns is on record saying that he preferred starting over the bullpen. It’s likely most pitchers do. I suspect that played a major role in his transfer.

Bizarre post, but okay. Read my original post again.

It’s hard to run a pitcher into the ground when your season is ended by Covid before conference play, not to mention, I didn’t accuse FA of running every single pitcher into the ground. Maybe address the things I said, not the things I didn’t, before calling me uninformed.
Maybe he’s better with the lower velocity crafty pitchers than the guys who come in with great stuff and high velocity?

That was addressed…did you not say what I just quoted..did I enter the Twilight Zone?

It's fair to question any coaches philosophies but risking the health of our kids is not something I've seen even a hint of. I'd even say, from the outside looking in, we seem to be quite protective.

Admittedly, I didn't like bringing in Russell on a cool night coming off arm injury.

His temper is also becoming more and more of an issue.

However, prior to this year, he found teaching methods that produced many strikes.

Overall, I think he a good coach. Not CTV elite level, but a strong assistant.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

VN Store

Back