I would like to thank the Supreme Court, the NCAA, the universities, and players and their parents for ruining college football

Blame who you want: but refusing to allow a person use their own name, their own image or their own likeness to make money but allow other to make literally billions is un-American af. The USSC putting an end to the practice was the right thing to do.

With regard to the portal: Force the coaches to sit a year when they leave or pay a year of their next salary to the NCAA and put an end to the portal and I would be good with it. However, allowing coaches to pack up and leave in the dead of night with out penalty while forcing an athlete to sit a year or more = wrong. As long as coaches can leave with out penalty then so should student athletes.

If you or I had been D1 athletes in today's world, our parents and ourselves would most likely be taking advantage of the situation also.

The thing that bothers me about takes like yours; you are so willing to deny a basic right to some one so you can be entertained at a higher level. That is an amazing and sad mind-set IMO.

I appreciate that point of view and you have a point. I wouldn't argue the players don't have a right to NIL income. I'm just saying that it's going to change what I, personally, enjoyed about college football.

But maybe my view is just antiquated. And as I said at the beginning maybe I and others in my age range overly romanticized it from the getgo.

Reactions: Raebo
Why on Earth would we want to cap how much a person can earn on their name, image, and likeness? It's border line evil to want to do so. Most certainly selfish by those who want to limit it.

I wish they all could make bank on it. That's my only problem. You're gonna have guys that make millions , while the guy blocking for him is scraping by and it's going to become a locker room cancer that stops all the hard work and progress in it's tracks. I'd love to believe it won't , but it will. Doesn't matter. That cork was popped and tossed into the river.

I appreciate that point of view and you have a point. I wouldn't argue the players don't have a right to NIL income. I'm just saying that it's going to change what I, personally, enjoyed about college football.

But maybe my view is just antiquated. And as I said at the beginning maybe I and others in my age range overly romanticized it from the getgo.

Hopefully your qb takes a hike and yall suck for at least 20 years, but I understand where you're coming from and I hear ya.

I know this is probably a dumb question, but does any NIL money have to go toward tuition/books etc? Are kids getting free-ride scholarships AND NIL money?

I haven't talked to a single person who thinks the NIL thing is a good idea.
Yes they still get a scholarship as NIL money has nothing to do with the University.

No. You're just selfish. Don't believe in individual liberty completely. Makes you throw a temper tantrum. You do the same thing about individual liberties in the politics forum

Reactions: sami
Alot of this has to do w/ getting the AD and coach right, finally. But, combined w/ NIL and transfer rules, and culture and TN fandom following stronger than most any other puts us squarely in the top 10...and then it's up to coaches to keep the upwards and sustainable trajectory. Things are and have changed, but at least we're in the mix for the first time in a LONG time. The only way to keep players is to have the right culture, win, and make sure recruiting pitch matches the experience on campus...and seems JH has this part down pretty good.

There will be no such thing as loyalty to a program, school, or coach. The best players will force universities into bidding wars. A QB that wins the Heisman as a junior? He'll put himself on the free agency list for the portal the day after the bowls are done. Gone will be the days of sitting in the stands and watching a player progress over 2 to 4 years, maybe 5.

I'm not naive, I know it happened before on a lesser scale when it was not legal to make offers like we see now. But the scope of it now, and the fact that its going to just get worse....

There is no solution. NIL cannot be capped. I don't know, maybe student athletes never really did have much loyalty or allegiance and we romanticized it off the strength of the very few that seemed to embrace it, Peyton Manning, Tim Tebow. But now school fan bases are going to needle each other about how they stole this player or that player.

Time to realize that it was really just all about the show in years past? TV rights, pageantry, fight songs. The whole thing is just so depressing.
Sounds kinda salty over your top QB recruit dumping you.....It's a business now and nothing more.

I enjoy watching players in Tennessee uniforms playing the game. Some were Tennessee fans from birth. Most were not, they only came here because they felt we offered them the best opportunity. I can't see how someone still doing that, but making money for it, would change how I feel about watching them play football.

I’m right there with you…..100%. It’s sad for people like us…..the end of an era. I knew it was coming, but not this fast.

I’m right there with you…..100%. It’s sad for people like us…..the end of an era. I knew it was coming, but not this fast.
It shouldn't be sad. You should be happy a massive wrong had been fixed. Why the hell would you be ok with someone not being able to earn off their Name, Image, and Likeness? It's evil.

I didn't read all the pages, but the OP and some others have some solid opinions. I don't care for the NIL for many reasons, but it has been in play for years, just under the table. As a friend from Ghana told me. "The US is crazy. It is upside-down. You pay for the feet, not for the head". The NIL is one example of the US value pyramid. So the fans enable the university to pay them a large bounty to play a game and the spiral begins.

well, here is my take.. one season in to NIL, nothing about my game day experience has changed. i still drive over to the Ag Campus, catch the bus, ride over to circle park, almost run over a few drunks tailgating who cant stay out of the road while we circle around to the drop off, walk down to the stadium, scan my ticket, walk up to QQ and take my seat. Then the band still came out, played their little diddy and the team came out through the T. Coin Flip, game started, 60 minutes of football later we walked back to the bus, rode back to the Ag Campus and headed home. Is their money involved with the players now, sure, but that does not concern me, that is for people who have a lot more money than me and have their names on buildings over there to worry about. The day that NIL starts affecting my game day experience I will agree with you that it is bad, but for now i dont see how NIL is doing anything but helping our program. We got a 5* QB that would probably be in Oregon right now if not for NIL, and as for schools who can't keep up with the big spenders, sorry about your luck. As for this argument of loyalty, if you allow yourself to get too attached to a coach or an athlete, odds are you will be disappointed eventually. Very few athletes are on campus because of their love for UT. And the ones that are there for the school are the local kids who grew up fans

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I enjoy watching players in Tennessee uniforms playing the game. Some were Tennessee fans from birth. Most were not, they only came here because they felt we offered them the best opportunity. I can't see how someone still doing that, but making money for it, would change how I feel about watching them play football.
That's my position exactly. I don't see why you wouldn't want to see your guys to do well for themselves.

I didn't read all the pages, but the OP and some others have some solid opinions. I don't care for the NIL for many reasons, but it has been in play for years, just under the table. As a friend from Ghana told me. "The US is crazy. It is upside-down. You pay for the feet, not for the head". The NIL is one example of the US value pyramid. So the fans enable the university to pay them a large bounty to play a game and the spiral begins.
You are terribly, massively, and ignorantly confused. The university isn't paying anything regarding NIL. Please educate yourself.

I wish they all could make bank on it. That's my only problem. You're gonna have guys that make millions , while the guy blocking for him is scraping by and it's going to become a locker room cancer that stops all the hard work and progress in it's tracks. I'd love to believe it won't , but it will. Doesn't matter. That cork was popped and tossed into the river.
We have already seen just a small taste of that aspect of NIL. Wait until agents start getting involved, and don't think it won't happen.

Really? Who adopted that? Not sure it will stand up to legal scrutiny but interesting if true.

You asked the right question…Even if the NCAA or whoever passed such a rule…would such a rule be enforceable?

You alluded to the Supreme Court’s opinion in your OP, and it truly is the elephant in the room IMO. I just don’t see any governance by the NCAA, the conferences or the schools getting by the courts’ antitrust scrutiny after that opinion. Any rule making would require some level of “collusion” to pass and likely would be struck down.

Also, given that players only have four years of eligibility (could even that be challenged?), there is very little chance that the players can unionize and bargain collectively. And without the players’ involvement in the rule making process and agreement to any rule changes, the chance for any meaningful, enforceable rules appears to be nil.

The sport is in a real transition. And I agree with you that it’s not looking like a good one.

Last edited:
I think that a certain percentage of NIL money should go into a pool to pay the lessor players. To have a couple of players receiving receiving big money while others on the team get nothing is not a good recipe for success.

Without the transfer rules the way they are now, Tennessee wouldn't have had the roster to go 11-2. Without the NIL the way it is, Nico would be likely wearing the colors of another team.

Everybody hates it when it negatively effects them, everyone loves it when it positively effects them.

Reactions: Raebo and VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back