If BIG Fish Coach is off the table...

Even if this was true ( which I genuinely believe isn’t)
I’d rather sh!tcan butch and scott, let hoke cover for a year to rebuild his name and pad his resume and wait until we find a slam dunk hire than settle for a googler!

Then you end up with Hoke as your HC (see LSU).

If it’s clear that we won’t land a big fish coach this year (like Gruden, Kelly, Patterson, Petersen)...should we keep Butch another year?

I would rather not hire another up and comer (risky), so we should only hire a big fish that we know can make a National Championship run. We would be stuck for another 3-6 years if we make with the wrong hire. If we keep Butch (crazy I know), we could try again next year on a big fish coaching hire.

There are only a few grand slam hires that will almost guarantee a race to the National Championship. Flame away.

Hell no, I would bring back Phil over another year of Butchisms.

Reactions: 1 person
if it’s clear that we won’t land a big fish coach this year (like gruden, kelly, patterson, petersen)...should we keep butch another year?

I would rather not hire another up and comer (risky), so we should only hire a big fish that we know can make a national championship run. We would be stuck for another 3-6 years if we make with the wrong hire. If we keep butch (crazy i know), we could try again next year on a big fish coaching hire.

There are only a few grand slam hires that will almost guarantee a race to the national championship. Flame away.

don't you put that evil on me ricky bobby, dont you put that evil on me!!!!!

At least with an up and comer, there is a chance of improvement.

True. But at Tennessee, we aren’t looking for some improvement. This is the University of Tennessee with 6 National Championships and among the best fans, facilities, and tradition in college football. We’re wanting to win SEC Championships and make a run to the National Championship every year.

Mediocre improvement is never acceptable and it isn’t worth a 14 million buyout (or whatever it would be).

True. But at Tennessee, we aren’t looking for some improvement. This is the University of Tennessee with 6 National Championships and among the best fans, facilities, and tradition in college football. We’re wanting to win SEC Championships and make a run to the National Championship every year.

Mediocre improvement is never acceptable and it isn’t worth a 14 million buyout (or whatever it would be).

So, with your wish list in mind, you want to keep Jones?

If it’s clear that we won’t land a big fish coach this year (like Gruden, Kelly, Patterson, Petersen)...should we keep Butch another year?

I would rather not hire another up and comer (risky), so we should only hire a big fish that we know can make a National Championship run. We would be stuck for another 3-6 years if we make with the wrong hire. If we keep Butch (crazy I know), we could try again next year on a big fish coaching hire.

There are only a few grand slam hires that will almost guarantee a race to the National Championship. Flame away.

No..We know what Butch can and cannot do at this point in his TN career. He's peaked at 9 wins..And needs 5-0 vs non conf teams to get those 9 wins a season. He doesn't wanna be here anymore either so it's irrelevant. Time to get a guy in who can build on and expand on the work Butch has done.

So, with your wish list in mind, you want to keep Jones?

No. But I don’t want to hire a Dooley again. Butch can win us 7-9 games as we’ve seen. We have to be smart and make a great hire that can get us beyond that. Otherwise, it’s 3-6 years more with no championships.

This thread proves why none of us will ever be an AD.

There are people posting here that would have done a better job than what's been done the past decade. Enough people on here realize that doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is not a sound strategy and is insane.

No problem. vols 24 bama 21 and your thoughts will be fact otherwise he’s gone

Under NO circumstances can Butch Jones be employed as UTs HC next year. None. You cannot keep a HC that managed to do something not even Doofus couldnt. The Georgia game sealed it. I dont care if Butch inherited the 85 Bears D and the 2013 Broncos O For 1 game and slaughtered Alabama 90-0. He is done at Tennessee.

Les Miles fits the criteria of everything we at Tennessee have been wanting. And he is available.

And what would be different next year? A lesser buyout? I don't think that's the problem. Look at when Kiffin left - no buyout - and Dooley was hired.

It's that rarely ever do elite head coaches switch from a big program to another. Bret Bielema is the last coach I can think of to do this and he left mainly due to issues with his AD (and yes, it didn't work out, but when he left Wisconsin he was considered a top proven coach).

The only "big fish" that come to mind that I honestly think we have any shot at (and not a good one, either) would be Jim Bob Cooter since he is an alum or Chip Kelly if we break the bank.

It's going to be a guy that people consider an "up and comer" or a retread.

There are people posting here that would have done a better job than what's been done the past decade. Enough people on here realize that doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is not a sound strategy and is insane.

Whatever.

Even IF we don't get the big fish (I think we do) I'd still rather move on from LBJ.

The big splash guys are instant recruiters off name alone. I don't really think Satin is that great on game day but he has 5 star players standing in line waiting for the phone call. Its really affected the entire, SEC since those guys normally would be spread around the league. At least for now 1 guy is getting 90% of the cards. The only thing that will stop this is another big splash guy who can take players away from him.

Whatever.

You may not like the facts but here's the major sports:

MBB - Predicted 13th in the SEC

Baseball - Worst program in the SEC. No NCAA in a decade. Bottom tier facilities.

Football - We are behind Memphis and a bottom third team in the SEC.

WBB - In terms of losses, we've had the worst 2 year and 3 year stretch in program history.

Reactions: 2 people
Look at the roster. Consider whose eligibility will be up this year and next. Then consider that a new coach may struggle with his first recruiting class due to only having 2 months or so to secure it.

UT cannot afford to keep Jones another year. Recruits and commits are watching. Some do not want him to go but even they realize another year probably won't save him. Some are committed to UT and not Jones... they're probably MORE likely to de-commit if he's kept knowing it means nothing but poor coaching and turmoil.

When Vandy found Franklin, he was an up and comer. Smart has never been a HC and has UGA on the verge of SECE dominance.

All of the names you mentioned above got their break... Kelly was a small school OC before Bellotti hired him and never a HC before being promoted at Oregon.

The key is to go DEEEEEEP in your evaluation. Anything below the surface of Jones' resume would have revealed that his "championship" seasons at Cincy came against really, really weak competition.

No flames. None of the names you mentioned guarantee anything. Peterson is probably the closest. He's now had significant success at two programs. The problem with him is that UW can wage a salary war and win.

Gruden has never recruited. No doubt there would be great coaching. No doubt there would be an attraction for recruits to a Super Bowl champion coach. But he still has to evaluate, pursue, and sign the right players. There's no guarantee he can do that.

Patterson has had success at one school. There's no guarantee he could succeed anywhere else given time... and at 57 he doesn't have a lot of time. He's had 2 losing seasons in the last 5. UT needs a better coach than that. If you hire him... don't pretend his record didn't clearly represent who he is.

Kelly had success following Bellotti who built the program. His ambition led him to the NFL where he was fired twice. The novelty of his offense took 2 years to wear off. The various spread schemes are no longer a mystery in CFB or the NFL. He might be great... but I suspect he's the most risky hire UT could make when you balance the salary and buyout it would take to get him with the possibility that he cannot recreate the magic. This is where UT will hopefully learn the RichRod lesson and avoid Kelly.

The big splash guys are instant recruiters off name alone. I don't really think Satin is that great on game day but he has 5 star players standing in line waiting for the phone call. Its really affected the entire, SEC since those guys normally would be spread around the league. At least for now 1 guy is getting 90% of the cards. The only thing that will stop this is another big splash guy who can take players away from him.

i'll bite. and say i agree, to a point. i don't think SAban is all that much better x's and o's wise than any other coach.

what Saban does better than anyone is how he manages the roster, and manages the coaches managing the roster.

where he is so much better than everyone else is in preparation and development. he wins the game before it's played in meetings and during practice.

that, and he's pretty good defensive coach that knows how to create match ups to take away what you do best.

edit: and however many #1 recruiting classes combined with all of the above....that's important too.

Last edited:
No, plenty of coaches out there who could get the same results without the gomer pyle drivel we have to listen to from him every week.

You don't have to listen to it. The World Series is about to take place and still a lot of other good college games on.

I believe that we SHOULD land a big fish this year. No reason to not do that anymore. Plus, We deserve it more than any program with what we’ve been through.

Hopefully this scenario is nothing to worry about because we get our guy. #NoGoogleSearchHires

VN Store

Back