If Tennesseee hires Mike Leach tomorrow... [bring him home Currie]

I have a feeling this will be nothing but another raise or contact extension for him - ESPN reports they parted ways and Currie flew back to Knoxville

So at first thought I wasn't all warm and fuzzy with a Leach hire, but looking at his record especially the upward trend at Washington State is intriguing....

YEah he overall record is deceiving. He has taken over two bad programs and turned them around so of course the first season or two isn't that great. I mean he had Texas Tech ranked no 1 in 2008. This will be his first job where he's coming in with a lot of talent already on the team. It will be interesting, but I think he does well.

I have a feeling this will be nothing but another raise or contact extension for him - ESPN reports they parted ways and Currie flew back to Knoxville

Maybe, but if this is true, I have difficulty reconciling the fact that WSU has a budget deficit that large and Leach being given a raise.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 0
This thread demonstrates just how bad our fanbase is suffering from "Battered Vol Syndrome". Davenport and Currie are to blame. In the back of their mind everyone knows that Leach will never have sucess in rhe SEC. Gimmicks; smoke and mirrors do not work in the SEC. No parent if an SEC caliber of player would want their son to play under Leach if they have othwr options.

I racall the exact same thing being said about Gus Malzahn as well as Urban Meyer, coming in from Utah. As long as these guys can recruit elite atheletes into their system they have elite systems, just like everyone else.

Try to look at this potential hire as the glorious return of “wide receiver U”!!
I guarantee there will be a flood of blue chip receivers wanting to get in on this action.

IMHO, this would be an outstanding hire.

Have a bad feeling we are getting set up for a huge letdown again.....I hope not but I expect nothing less at this point.

My excitement over the prospect of Leach coming to Knoxville is substantial, yet it is vastly overshadowed by the complete lack of respect and lack of faith that Currie and Bev can let go of Haslam's main vein long enough to get a deal done.

I hope we land Leach. It would be a nice save to the debacle that has been this coaching search.

I'm going to be one of the biggest Mike Leach homers you've ever seen. He's a brilliant offensive mind and with the right staff and the talent we can recruit to Tennessee, the sky is the limit.

The press conferences will be legendary. No Butch Jones coach speak out of this guy.

Currie, don't screw this up. Please.

Pirates for Life!

Make it happen.

Freak I know Currie has made you a lot of money but Leach always loses to some bad team and doesn't play much D. Kind of like the 2012 team. Plus we have 1 lineman who can block, run or pass. But hey you need a clown to keep the circus going

Last edited:
I racall the exact same thing being said about Gus Malzahn as well as Urban Meyer, coming in from Utah. As long as these guys can recruit elite atheletes into their system they have elite systems, just like everyone else.

Try to look at this potential hire as the glorious return of “wide receiver U”!!
I guarantee there will be a flood of blue chip receivers wanting to get in on this action.

IMHO, this would be an outstanding hire.
At this point in the calamity that has become the 17' search in Knoxville. It's becoming more and more clear who is pulling the strings on the hill. Leach would be awesome!! those who have been charged with keeping the integrity of the university interest in mind will look back on this Era as how to kill a Athletics program. I think Dickey was able to successfully keep Haslam at arms reach, but when he retired, the power was unmanagable by the new administration. The fact they have met with this many coaches and haven't been able to reach an agreement should be a sign from GOD to all other coaches, stay away!!! Whatever the problems where TN can't go and get any f'in coach we want, we'll Mr. HASLAM... MY FAVORITE SCENE IN TOMBSTONE,, "YEAH WELL I HOPE YOU DIE!!"

Reactions: 1 person
2d5.gif

Why is Leach any more different than Chad Morris? Leach success was due more to their star defensive coach....No??
Just asking....

16 years as a head football coach. No conference championships. I don't know why you would ever expect him to win anything substantial in Knoxville. He can maybe improve his recruiting, but he'll also face better athletes.

I get that everyone is so worn down by these daily reports of offers and rejections that they are willing to get on board with almost anyone at this point (the Haslam strategy?), but when you continue to get behind mediocrity, at some point aren't you contributing to it?

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed watching his offense get shutdown and embarassed in his rivalry game against Washington last week. If he comes here, you can probably expect to see that any time we face a good defense.

Get this coach or not, Currie and Davenport both need to be fired NOW!

Haslams and his power hungry group MUST be run out of Tennessee sports NOW!

Blackburn needs to be hired NOW too.

Until these things are accomplished we need to keep the social media wars and the protests going while we still have national media attention.

This may be our last chance to get some really positive changes made at OUR Tennessee AD.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 3 people
Was in my top 3 from day one right ib between one egomaniac and one mullet.

This would be awesome

Get this coach or not, Currie and Davenport both need to be fired NOW!

Haslams and his power hungry group MUST be run out of Tennessee sports NOW!

Blackburn needs to be hired NOW too.

Until these things are accomplished we need to keep the social media wars and the protests going while we still have national media attention.

This may be our last chance to get some really positive changes made at OUR Tennessee AD.

VFL...GBO!!!
Well said..

Freak I know Currie has made you a lot of money but Leach always loses to some bad team and doesn't play much D. Kind of like the 2012 team. Plus we have 1 lineman who can block, run or pass. But hey you need a clown to keep the circus going

Washington State doesn’t play defense this year?

It’s not Leach’s fault we only have one lineman.

1. Currie called home mid negotiations
2. WNML morning show had Pat Ryan on his normal Friday spot. Ryan and the other 2 were downplaying Leach in a big way. Ryan especially critical. Flagship station.

Haslam or someone in the Admin does not want Leach so it probably won't happen.

I know I posted that in another thread but it looks like Lil' Jimmy must be against this hire too.

The polls say otherwise.

I agree that Leach has the VN excited. Can't ignore that in 16 years of coaching no conference championship and Leach is a below average recruiter because of his personality. What is going to change if he comes to UT???? You can have an average coach and with great recruiting he can become a great coach. A great coach with below average recruiting becomes an average coach. It is all a crapshoot but IMO Leach is a terrible fit at UT

VN Store

Back