If we don't figure out these offensive scoring slumps,

We're going to get bounced out of the 'Big Dance' early!!

In spite of these slumps, Tennessee doesn’t have a non-Q1A loss. So, no, I don’t think the Vols are primed to get “bounced early” if things don’t turn around.

That being said, it’d be cool if Tennessee stopped having the lulls because the team’s upside is remarkable.

We have 4 guards who the defense can not stay in front of constantly. They get the first step and drive with ease but instead of going to the basket to score, or get fouled, they pull up and throw back to the perimeter. Then, they must rush to get a shot up to beat the clock. You stop the scoring droughts from the foul line.

In spite of these slumps, Tennessee doesn’t have a non-Q1A loss. So, no, I don’t think the Vols are primed to get “bounced early” if things don’t turn around.

That being said, it’d be cool if Tennessee stopped having the lulls because the team’s upside is remarkable.
Alabama will drop out next week, but at least as of right now, Tennessee has only lost one game to a team which isn't currently ranked (LSU). Their schedule proved to be tougher than it was given credit for in the pre-season. Regardless of what happens in the SEC Tournament, Tennessee should have a strong hold on a 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

It just baffles me how much chandler is struggling at the line. He needs to work on his free throws all week.

Nothing will change. It’s too late in the season and his focus will be on finishing the yr then the NBA draft. It’s inexcusable to miss so many fouls shots but every time someone, or I comment someone says “stop the hate” against Chandler. He is a fear player but will cost us a win in March if he can’t make foul shots.

He has a lot better 3 point shot than free throw. Looks like he he doesn't put an arc on his FF shot.
He doesn't bend his knees. Just flies it up, so it's all wrist. Hard to believe that hasn't been corrected, but even harder to believe that he was nearly a 90% FT shooter in high school. That should easily be the most translatable skill.

I don't think they are changing at this point. But we should get too high a seed to worry about losing early imo. We are good enough on defense to make life miserable for early round type teams.

After that opening weekend, it's all about matchups. I'm not worried

Reactions: HalfullVol
The way Tennessee plays is good enough to beat elite teams in Knoxville, average and bad teams anywhere. But 34 minutes of good basketball on a neutral court isn’t going to be enough for an elite 8/final 4 appearance unfortunately. So I’m with OP in needing to figure out those slumps.

We have 4 guards who the defense can not stay in front of constantly. They get the first step and drive with ease but instead of going to the basket to score, or get fouled, they pull up and throw back to the perimeter. Then, they must rush to get a shot up to beat the clock. You stop the scoring droughts from the foul line.
With Springer, this team would be a nightmare to defend.

Reactions: esarmstrong
It just baffles me how much chandler is struggling at the line. He needs to work on his free throws all week.
They used to teach bending your knees and using the force from then extending up to propel the ball to the rim. Kennedy looks stiff legged and just uses a wrist flip. Leaves a lot of FT attempts shot for that reason.

Reactions: CDB and VolDorado
The defense can negate the offensive drought to a degree. There just isn't much margin for error when we have a drought coupled with poor defensive rebounding, turnovers, and missed free throws.

@Georgia and Arkansas were hopefully great lessons for the team heading into the tournament. It's one and done here on out and we're going to have to play for 40 minutes to win going forward.

Use the glass and even the short ones go in

Best leave them all alone

I don't think they are changing at this point. But we should get too high a seed to worry about losing early imo. We are good enough on defense to make life miserable for early round type teams.
Like Oregon State last year? lol. Just saying. I'm hoping the Vols get much further this year though!

Reactions: Rocky Top T and Hbg
He is shooting flat footed, no bend in the knees. It's all wrist and isn't getting any lift. What it looks like to me, but I'm not a Shot Doctor.

Reactions: VolDorado
Like Oregon State last year? lol. Just saying. I'm hoping the Vols get much further this year though!

Last year Tennessee was a 5th seed playing without their center…….looking at a 3 right now.

my goodness there’s a lot of pretend Vol fans on here.

VN Store

Back