If You’d Have Told Me 20 Years Ago….

Oklahoma will be an after thought and why leave what you built and be a king in Knoxville? I’m sure venebles gets more time considering how much they lost in the portal. No way does he leave Iamaleava
I am a leave-a.
Almost subliminal.

This is my understanding. Stoops made him a scapegoat when it came to protecting his brother. Stoops is still king over there and I’ve heard there’s still bad blood. I’ve heard some speculation that the greatest danger of losing him would be to the NFL and I can believe it. Fortunately, college coaching pays better than the League these days. We keep him happy and I think he knows what a special place this is and what kind of a coach he can be here. If he lives up to his potential, the only person he’ll ever be in the shadow of is General Neyland.
I hope coach holds a grudge against the Stoops family and never loses to Kentucky.

Reactions: UTFanHades
That today the AP Top 25 rankings would not include Florida, Miami, Florida State, Oklahoma, Texas, LSU, Notre Dame, Auburn, Nebraska, etc I would’ve said you’re nuts.

* FSU and Oklahoma just lost and will be out tomorrow*
sadly, most of those teams were ranked earlier in the season based almost exclusively on what happened 20 years ago.

Reactions: tbwhhs
I think as long as Stoops is tied to the program he stays. OU will be in SEC anyway. Lateral move at best

How soon we forget: Just two years ago we were 3-7 & facing an NCAA investigation.
Things looked really BAD.

Heuple now has us on the Happy Train! I believe in him and his leadership. And I hope and pray 🙏 that he is not going anywhere!

Last edited:
Damn we have some stupid fans. Butch is barely a head coach (likely for the last time), and Dooley and Pruitt are a million miles from a head coaching position.
I don't really remember people fearing Dooley or Butch leaving. But I do remember Pruitt beating a top 25 Auburn team his first year and thinking wow this might be the guy. I also remember him beating a top 25 kentucky team same year. Not sure Dooley beat anyone with any significance.

Question is, when is OU going to come hard after Coach Heupel?
They literally had their chance just last year and chose not to. I think there's actually some bad blood there after the way he was fired when he was OC.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Due diligence will require them to at least start an inquiry. But if Coach is trending in a way to make that practical, will he seriously entertain leaving a program on the rise, while working for a man he is in lock step with, and moving his family from Knoxville to the middle of OK? Does the nature of his departure from there still linger in his thought processes? Has he studied the Doug Dickey leaving UT for his alma mater story? What does he believe about recruiting difficulty to OK while in the SEC? If he still claims Aberdeen SD as home, it is a 12 hour drive to go visit.

You never know, but I am not going to lose sleep over it.

My thoughts exactly!
Could not have said it better!

Dooley was the worst! I don’t care about records or VFL’s. He never won a SINGLE Game that he was NOT leading at half-time!

— EVER!!!!!!!!!

Basically, if you didn’t have the lead at the half, you might as well “Go Home”.

It was well recognized, & It was POISON for Neyland Stadium!

I had some friends that actually gave up their excellent season tickets after the Dooley years.

Bet they wish that they had them, NOW!!!

With Danny white being at Tennessee I think it will be hard for CJH to just up and leave. I think he really likes it here. I usually get kind of worried when I hear a rumor like this but this time it just feels different I think we got a coach who is dedicated to getting Tennessee back to where it belongs. If it's money.. I think Danny white gives him what he wants. With the extention he's here until 2028 I believe..
And when Tennessee is where it belongs, it shouldn't be hard to get an elite coach. I just hope Coach Heupel coaches here for the rest of my lifetime.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
I think he genuinely loves it here and has embraced the fans and our craziness.

Keep the money flowing and the facilities improving and he will stay until the end.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
With Danny white being at Tennessee I think it will be hard for CJH to just up and leave. I think he really likes it here. I usually get kind of worried when I hear a rumor like this but this time it just feels different I think we got a coach who is dedicated to getting Tennessee back to where it belongs. If it's money.. I think Danny white gives him what he wants. With the extention he's here until 2028 I believe..

Look Heupel Will more than likely get something me sort of extension after this year. I would say White recognizes that teams may come after him. I would like to think DW would be smart enough to put a significant buyout attached to the extension.

Look Heupel Will more than likely get something me sort of extension after this year. I would say White recognizes that teams may come after him. I would like to think DW would be smart enough to put a significant buyout attached to the extension.
I believe he just got a raise and an extension like in September. Like a million dollar raise and an extension through 2028.I think white is already a step ahead. which he normally is.

Last edited:
I understand it's his Alma Mater but he said it himself Neyland is the best atmosphere he's ever been in.... He's got something good going, why go to Oklahoma?
Question is, when is OU going to come hard after Coach Heupel?

Those worrying about Oklahoma? When’s the last time they hired away an established HC from another school? The one year experiment of Howard Schnellenberger? Historically it’s not their modus operandi.

VN Store

Back